Notices

Old 06-19-2016, 05:37 PM   #1
RickMarx
RickMarx began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sigil is Installed, But It Will Not Run

Dear Kind Moderators,

Can someone please assist me with this?

I’m sure it has happened to someone on this board, but I’ve been through over 12 pages of topics and cannot find an answer.

Current status: Sigil will not run. It is installed, but when I click on the icon from the Desktop, it will not start.

Operating System: Windows 10 x64

Here is what happened.

--In April, I updated to 0.9.5 and installed FlightCrew. Sigil updated fine, as usual, and there was no problems. It was working.

--This weekend, I discovered that Sigil would not start, as I was preparing to updated to 0.9.6

I have had successive versions of Sigil on my computer since about 2010, but this is my first time encountering this issue.

I have attached an image of my Windows Task Manager, so you can see it indicates the program is installed and running. But it will not open.

Also, since April, I have no changes to my computer that would affect the operating system.

Thank you very much to whomever can help me with this vexing problem.

Enjoy a Wonderful Day

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sigil Error.png
Views:	307
Size:	387.2 KB
ID:	149522  
RickMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 05:43 PM   #2
RickMarx

Task Manager Image Explained

Sorry, but I forgot to explain the attached image.

The image shows that each time I click on the Sigil icon from the desktop another instance is created in the Task Manager.

Also, I have installed/uninstalled all of the 0.9 updated, and they will not start either. I even installed/uninstalled back to 0.8.9.

Each time I get a clean uninstall because I use Revo uninstaller software.

Thank you very much
Old 06-19-2016, 07:02 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Dual monitors?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:09 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Runs fine on Triple Monitors W10 X64

I would suggest that you rename sigil.ini (in the hidden configuration folder.
Code:
C:\Users\,your logon>\AppData\Local\sigil-ebook
) Then start Sigil and see if that flies.

way in the past (versions), I had corruption that would hang the run
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:38 PM   #5
RickMarx

Reply to DiapDealer and the ducks

--DiapDealer, thanks for the reply. But, no, only one monitor.

--theducks, thanks for the reply. I'm going to try that now.

Thanks all for viewing the issue.
Old 06-19-2016, 07:50 PM   #6
RickMarx

Reply to theducks

theducks,

Please clarify your instructions. I am not clear on them.

Indeed, I have located that file.

But I should rename the .ini to what?

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Rick
Old 06-19-2016, 08:48 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMarx View Post
But I should rename the .ini to what?
Anything - I would rename to sigil.ini.save - make sure Sigil is not running.

When you start Sigil it will create a fresh sigil.ini file. You will lose any custom preferences.

If this solves your problem, you can then use sigil.ini.save as the basis for redoing your custom preferences. If it doesn't, then you can delete the fresh sigil.ini, and rename sigil.ini.save to sigil.ini, and await further suggestions.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 10:02 PM   #8
RickMarx

Reply to BetterRed

BetterRed,

Thanks for the reply.

It seems I stumbled upon a solution.

I went away from the x64 version install, and installed the 32x version.

And everything WORKS!

I will keep your instructions for future use, as I trying to figure out the problems with the x64 install.

Again, thank you.

Enjoy a Wonderful Day

Rick
Old 06-20-2016, 10:09 AM   #9
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hmm, that is strange - perhaps Windows 10 x64 is missing something that the x32 version has? Something that an os update impacts perhaps? Ideas anyone?

KevinH
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:28 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm guessing a display issue of some kind. No crashes, no errors, and a new instance was being properly launched and reported as running in the task manager--it just wasn't displaying on the screen. That's why I asked about dual displays. It acted exactly as if everything was running correctly, just not on a portion of the screen the user could see.

Doesn't Windows 10 have virtual desktops? Seeing as how the 32-bit version is a different executable in a different location, it wouldn't surprise me that that would "fix" the problem of the 64-bit version being configured to run on a different virtual desktop.

This is all guesswork on my part, of course. I have no idea if virtual desktops would work the way I described. I don't have Windows 10 to experiment with.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-20-2016 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:25 AM   #11
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Hmm, that is strange - perhaps Windows 10 x64 is missing something that the x32 version has?
Sigil 0.9.6 installed fine on my 64bit Windows 10 machine. Maybe the OP repeatedly tried to open a broken ePub or an ePub that was locked by another process.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 05:48 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
This is all guesswork on my part, of course. I have no idea if virtual desktops would work the way I described. I don't have Windows 10 to experiment with.
Sigil 0.9.6 64bit runs fine for me in a Windows 10 Virtual Desktop.

There have been isolated instances where people using 64bit Calibre have suddenly had inexplicable 'start up' problems on Windows 7 and 10 that were eventually solved by switching to 32bit (installed or portable). Most are chronicled in Calibre/Devices threads.

In a couple of cases all the remedies I could think of were tried -- disabling AV/FW, renaming calibre's configuration data folder, using safe mode, removal of plugins, complete uninstall/reinstall (including manual registry cleaning), relocating configuration, temporary, and cache folders via Calibre's environment variables, disabling startup tasks, uninstalling shell extensions... i.e. everything short of reinstalling Windows itself -- all to no avail.

Are there any other packages that are engineered to run on Windows 32 and 64 bit, OSX, and Linux that use Python and Qt. They are the obvious things that Sigil and Calibre have in common.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-20-2016 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Installed 0.9.6 - still working a Win 10 VD
Old 06-20-2016, 08:03 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Sigil 0.9.6 64bit runs fine for me in a Windows 10 Virtual Desktop.
That's good. What I was wondering was if a program could somehow be "locked" to a specific virtual desktop. Meaning if it was launched from one desktop, would you need to switch to the other in order to see it?
Old 06-20-2016, 08:57 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

AFAIK a task can only be used from the desktop in which it 'resides', tasks can be moved between desktops via drag and drop.

Task Manager shows all tasks irrespective of which desktop they are on, but without any indication of which desktop they are on You can use the Task Manager context menu to switch to tasks - if they are on another desktop it will 'push' the current desktop aside.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	149549

Different desktops cannot have different wallpapers (nor can they be named) There's a gadget at CP that claims it can do it, it's on my list of things to try as its the thing I miss most from my old VD manager.

Added : Oh yes, use Win+Tab to see Desktops, you don't need the Taskview icon cluttering up your taskbar. Also Win+Ctrl+→ and Win+Ctrl+← will traverse VDs.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-20-2016 at 10:20 PM.