Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-28-2014, 01:45 PM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Please recommend something easy.

I seem to have been reading lots of Enid Blyton (Five Finder Outers) etc lately just to get back into the habit of reading. The problem is, I now find, if I try to read a 'grown up' book (I tried Agatha Christie to stay in the detective theme), my mind wanders.

So I need either a more advanced children's author to get me on the right path, or an easy-read adult book. PD or under £2 in a kindle version would be great.

Thanks lots in advance.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:54 PM   #2
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
The Harry Potter books are an easy read and a good blend of YA/Adult as the books progress....
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:00 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Why not try The Hobbit, by Tolkien?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:02 PM   #4
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
The King's Fifth by Scott O' Dell has always been my favorite advanced children's book.
The Neverending Story by Micheal Ende is also wonderful for adult reading.

For PD, there's always the classics:

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame
Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle
The Jungle Books by Rudyard Kipling

Last edited by AlbertaCowboy; 02-28-2014 at 02:08 PM.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:12 PM   #5
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Try the Echo Falls mysteries by Peter Abrahams: Down the Rabbit Hole, Behind the Curtain, and Into the Dark. Clever and intriguing little mysteries, believably motivated heroine, well-written. I enjoyed them a lot.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:49 PM   #6
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Have you read the Redwall books by Brian Jacques, or Diana Wynne Jones' novels?
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:06 PM   #7
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Some nice juicy suggestions there, some I've read, others I've never heard of. Please keep them coming if possible.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:04 AM   #8
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Any book from Jules Verne translated in English should do

I also think that some popular YA books* can be good, if you like this genre, because it's easy to get caught into the stories so you want to read more and the sentences aren't too difficult. In that case, the price might be higher than what you're willing to pay but if you convert your books you can find +50% coupons to use at Kobo store.

* thinking The Hunger Games, Divergent...
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:46 AM   #9
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
I will second the Jungle Books recommendation, as well as Redwall, though apparently it is no longer available through Amazon in ebook format. :/

If you're into puns, then Piers Anthony's Xanth series may entertain you.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:09 AM   #10
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Emil and the Detectives by Erich Kastner
http://www.amazon.com/Emil-Detective...=UTF8&sr=&qid=

At $12, it's kind of spendy for an ebook.

Last edited by BenG; 03-01-2014 at 08:11 AM.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:41 AM   #11
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
I will second the Jungle Books recommendation, as well as Redwall, though apparently it is no longer available through Amazon in ebook format. :/
It's in the public domain even in life+70 countries. I've just downloaded it from MR. Thanks.

Some of the suggestions reminded me that ages ago I bought the Narnia series in paperback from The Works (a cheap book/stationary/art shop chain). Spent part of the morning digging this box set out of the packing boxes. Have begun the first book. Intriguing.

I did have a look on Amazon for an e-version, but the price for the entire series is too high, so I'll be reading this in pback.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:47 AM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I just remembered that Alan Garner has a series of children's fantasy novels that I thoroughly enjoyed while in my 20s.

Here's a link to one of them:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Weirdstone...rner+in+kindle

The series is The Stone Book Quartet. The one above is not part of that series - I think.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 03-01-2014 at 08:56 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:10 AM   #13
BookCat
C L J

Thanks Mr Drib. I had to click the "continue shopping at Amazon UK" link, which took me to a list of his books. The first one was "The Owl Service" which I've been looking for for ages. Bought it.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:42 PM   #14
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I don't think they quite meet your £2 requirement, but they're not much worse -- Try the Solar Clipper series from Nathan Lowell. The early ones are definitely YA, but the later ones less so. The first is Quarter Share, and the last one in the series (Owner's Share) was just released on Amazon this morning.

These are easy reads, no heavy violence, basic Space Opera. Also available as free Podiobooks webcasts, read by the author. Actually, they started life as podcasts, and only later got converted to text.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:46 PM   #15
EndlessWaves
Zealot
EndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.
EndlessWaves is offline   Reply With Quote