Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-26-2018, 01:58 AM   #256
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
As I whole, I liked the Takes from the Golden Age of the Solar Clipper by Nathan Lowell. I did think that last book went off in a different direction and didn't really care that much for it, but really enjoyed the rest of them.
Fair enough. I still enjoyed it, especially the calmer part where they were just running the cruise ship. I read the second Ishmael Wang series not too long ago, picking up just after the first series, and it was more satisfying nautically themed space opera with minimal (but not entirely absent) pew-pew.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 07:43 AM   #257
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
Fair enough. I still enjoyed it, especially the calmer part where they were just running the cruise ship. I read the second Ishmael Wang series not too long ago, picking up just after the first series, and it was more satisfying nautically themed space opera with minimal (but not entirely absent) pew-pew.
Not sure what pew-pew is. I didn't realize there was a second series. I'll have to give it a try.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2018, 10:42 AM   #258
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Anyone else ever read the Godstalker series by P.C. Hodgell?
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 11:50 AM   #259
OverHaze
Connoisseur
OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
My fantasy time has been dominated by a first listen of the Wheel of Time series. I'm on the final volume now, on track to finish almost exactly a year from starting book one, with just a couple interludes of other audio (well, a full re-listen/read of the Stormlight Archives so far, finishing with the latest).

Stormlight is outstanding, if you're willing to jump into a series that's likely a decade or two from completion. Greg Bear's lone fantasy work from the '80s, Songs of Earth and Power (first published in two volumes, The Infinity Concerto and The Serpent Mage), is worth a read if you've overlooked it.

In sci-fi, I've dug some good stuff out of Kindle Unlimited on my two trial/sale runs this past year:

Tales from the Golden Age of the Solar Clipper, Nathan Lowell
The Bobiverse Trilogy, Dennis E. Taylor

Currently I'm reading Douglas Phillips' Quantum Void, right on the heels of Quantum Space. The prose and characterization are nothing special, but the hard sci-fi foundation and space-operatic expansion of the premises are satisfying.

I don't go through enough books to make KU worthwhile at the normal pricing, but there is some good stuff in there.
How did you find The Wheel of Time? I've thought about reading it many times but its a heck of a commitment!
OverHaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 03:22 PM   #260
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverHaze View Post
How did you find The Wheel of Time?
Turned left at the W aisle.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2018, 03:58 PM   #261
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Not sure what pew-pew is...
Traditional laser noise, used to denote armed conflict, particularly with unconventional weapons (lasers, magic attacks, even bows).

Quote:
How did you find The Wheel of Time? I've thought about reading it many times but its a heck of a commitment!
I tried starting it several times and found the prologue so melodramatic and the first chapter so cliche (young man from a farming village heading into town, where a mysterious stranger has arrived) that I couldn't get into it, but once I pushed past that stuff, the setting is actually pretty unique. The overall tone is more in line with the darker Brothers Grimm tales than Tolkien, the monsters fairly simple grotesques with a folk tale feel to them.

At the same time, postmodern influences are obvious. If you're into comparative mythology, Jordan draws on several existing and a few antiquated religions for his world building. He constantly undercuts his characters' perspective on events, giving all of them obvious biases. New book parts frequently start with a catalogue of wildly distorted rumors circulating about the events and political situations up to that point. Everyone is treated as an unreliable narrator, and a number of alternate realities come into play, and of course the refrain that starts every volume reminds us that all of this has happened before in endless repetition with the turning of the Wheel, subtly questioning whether there is any fixed set of events that actually happened.

The cosmological and ontological subtleties are undercut somewhat by Jordan's apparent arrested development: every character, whether 15 or 3000 years old, has the internal life of an adolescent. They're still decently defined, relatable characters, but the whole epic battle of good and evil sometimes feels like a high school lunchroom squabble. Much of the prose has a satirical quality that does lend it interest, but the depth of the satire seems to be, "Everyone is always theorizing about the opposite sex, and often both sides are leveling the same stereotypes at each other." The result is a sometimes tiresome repetition of "Boys be like..." "Girls be like..." in the dialogue and internal monologues. When Sanderson takes over the series, a lot of the subtleties are lost, but it is nice that several of the adult characters are allowed to grow up.

As for the common criticisms, people say the events and conflicts are repetitive, but I didn't find it so. As fantasy series go, I thought Jordan did a good job of maintaining an advancing narrative, events building on each other and political situations unfolding, characters and nations changing in response to events. People also say it bogs down in the middle, and I did hit a wall somewhere around book 5 or 6, but before and after that it kept pulling me along pretty consistently.

ETA: My perspective of the overall pace and narrative is probably quite different, going into the series knowing it's finished and in how many books, and having read a lot of post-WoT epic fantasy, compared to someone reading each volume as it came out.

Last edited by taosaur; 05-26-2018 at 04:04 PM.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 10:49 PM   #262
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Turned left at the W aisle.
You can also find it in the aisle that contains series that never end and never advance the plot. I'm pretty sure the Wheel of Time can be found in a hamster cage.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 05:18 AM   #263
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
Yep, really liked that series.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 03:09 PM   #264
OverHaze
Connoisseur
OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Air 2
So I'm just going to ask the. Battlefield Earth... worth reading? It's Hubbard with all the baggage that brings with it but when you see both Neil Gaiman and Brandon Sanderson are fans of the book its hard not the be a bit curious.
OverHaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 04:37 PM   #265
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
In my opinion, BattleField Earth is worth reading. That other series of Hubbards--Mission Earth?--is purely pulp. I got all ten books at $1 a piece back in the day, and discovered that it wasn't worth that.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 04:02 AM   #266
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
In my opinion, BattleField Earth is worth reading. That other series of Hubbards--Mission Earth?--is purely pulp. I got all ten books at $1 a piece back in the day, and discovered that it wasn't worth that.
This covers my experience too. BattleField Earth was fun (rubbish, but still a fun read). Mission Earth? ... I hear there's a paint drying film on tonight, that sounds exciting!
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:50 AM   #267
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
Yes, I recommend it. A solid 4/5, and I remember if fondly.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 03:42 AM   #268
varlog
actually it is /var/log
varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs t1
Quote:
So I'm just going to ask the. Battlefield Earth... worth reading? It's Hubbard with all the baggage that brings with it but when you see both Neil Gaiman and Brandon Sanderson are fans of the book its hard not the be a bit curious.
I'm a fan of Gaiman, not so much of Sanderson, whose ending of WoT, IMO, was just a fantasy, not quite up to Jordan's uniqueness.
My guess is they have read "Battlefield Earth" in their teens - and never repeated the experience. The adventure part of it could be appealing to a young reader perhaps, but you have to be very young not to notice the shallowness of characters and stupidity of plots.
varlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 04:15 AM   #269
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by varlog View Post
I'm a fan of Gaiman, not so much of Sanderson, whose ending of WoT, IMO, was just a fantasy, not quite up to Jordan's uniqueness.
My guess is they have read "Battlefield Earth" in their teens - and never repeated the experience. The adventure part of it could be appealing to a young reader perhaps, but you have to be very young not to notice the shallowness of characters and stupidity of plots.
Oh my goodness, should I take that to heart? I have no idea what Hubbard intended, but I thought it was fun - once. (Years ago now, but definitely not a teenager. I do admit that I've not been tempted to go back again.) I remember it as being sort of like watching a Terminator movie or something; you're not in it for the deep thoughts, just the amusement.

This reminds me, indirectly, of the movie Broken Arrow. (Mostly because John Travolta was also in a movie version of Battlefield Earth, though I've never watched it - 2.4 stars on IMDB, cout-em', two-point-four! One of the reviews says "true to the book" - maybe I'd like it after all ). Broken Arrow is an appalling movie, so cheesy you could slice it, but it always puts a smile on my face.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 04:56 AM   #270
varlog
actually it is /var/log
varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs t1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Oh my goodness, should I take that to heart? ....
Please don't do that...

To give it a new twist: I first saw a film and... rather liked it! Not the Best of ...whatever, but the pace, atmosphere and visuals were ok for me. The magic of good actors?
Then I've read the book and never wanted to read anything of Hubbard again.
varlog is offline   Reply With Quote