Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-31-2019, 04:23 AM   #28486
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: The Blood Card by Elly Griffiths. The third in her post-WWII mystery series.
Which was splendid. A most enjoyable mystery, and good characters, set in 1953 Brighton and London.

Next up: The Burning Land, the fifth in Bernard Cornwell's historical fiction set in the time of King Alfred.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:53 AM   #28487
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I've been reading And Then There Were Crumbs by Eve Calder. Excellent first act, followed by the same old cosy fare. The major mystery is still intact. If that pays off then this will be a major and strong 5 star book.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 06:33 PM   #28488
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Finished the novella "Perfect State" by Brandon Sanderson. Interesting virtual reality with a twist ending. Rated C [3 stars].

Next John Flanagan's The Emperor of Nihon-Ja. The tenth in the Ranger's Apprentice series.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:31 AM   #28489
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Read my cosy mystery. 4 stars. Now I'm reading the sixth wicked child. Pretty good stuff.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:46 PM   #28490
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished Thirteen by Steve Cavanagh and it was a very good book I would describe as a legal procedural. Give it four stars
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:16 PM   #28491
justeddy
justeddy began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy s7
Just finished reading Spy by Danielle Steel

Spy by Danielle Steel is such a well written, detailed, and page-turner novel. The book is filled with action-pack adventure, humor, romance, and is especially a super tearjerker. Get ready for one heck of a read and have tissues at the side. Danielle portrays Alexandra as a well-rounded character, she shows no fear when taking up new challenges and yet she’s such a sweetheart with her loved ones.

For an extended review please visit https://www.upcomingbookreviews.com/...-me-cried.html
justeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:21 AM   #28492
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Next up: The Burning Land, the fifth in Bernard Cornwell's historical fiction set in the time of King Alfred.
Which was, as expected, a good read.

Next I read Grantville Gazette #85. Less Grantville content that I'd expected. I'm not sure I'll get the next bundle.

Then I read both Analog SF/F and Asimov's SF magazines for Sep/Oct 2019. Both were good - some splendid stories. Well worth the £2.49 individual issue price.

And now I'm starting The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey. It sounds interesting,
Old 09-10-2019, 12:17 PM   #28493
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
And now I'm starting The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey. It sounds interesting,
This was the selection of the New Leaf Book Club for April. Feel free to comment in the thread. Book club threads stay active indefinitely, and you might find some comments of interest there.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:27 PM   #28494
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Read a mention of the Slonsky and Navratil crime series by Graham Brack, set in Prague. They're available via Kindle Unlimited, or one-title-per-month free with Amazon Prime. So far, the first book Lying and Dying is proving a great read - would do very well for a plane trip!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:30 AM   #28495
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
When I noticed it was an Alan Grant book, I switched to The Franchise Affair. Which I then found that although technically an Alan Grant book, he plays almost no part in it at all

I enjoyed The Franchise Affair. Not much mystery, but a nice description of the characters and the finding of a solution.

Next up: F&SF, Sep/Oct 2019.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:39 AM   #28496
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I finished my re-read of Rebecca West's The Fountain Overflows. I will now be taking a break to do a quick re-read of The Shepherd's Life and The Year of Magical Thinking for the new leaf and literary book clubs respectively.

Sachiko (who is bigger than some adult cats at only 2.5 months old!) is reading Fables.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sachiko and Fables.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	173404  
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:10 PM   #28497
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
What a gorgeous cat! I hope Sachiko enjoys her Fables.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:50 PM   #28498
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
What a gorgeous cat! I hope Sachiko enjoys her Fables.
Perhaps there's a memoir in her future, I Also Am a Cat, perhaps?

Bringing this back around to topic, I'm almost done with I Am a Cat!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:36 PM   #28499
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post

I admire your fortitude, issybird!

Meanwhile, having finished The Shepherd's Life in good time for the Club discussion, and having sidetracked myself onto a reread of a 1913 book set in the same area of England, I am now reading Loving by Henry Green, set in Ireland during the period of the Second World War. Eire was of course neutral, so it gives a very different feeling in terms of observing the war at a distance.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 12:46 AM   #28500
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
I admire your fortitude, issybird!

Meanwhile, having finished The Shepherd's Life in good time for the Club discussion, and having sidetracked myself onto a reread of a 1913 book set in the same area of England, I am now reading Loving by Henry Green, set in Ireland during the period of the Second World War. Eire was of course neutral, so it gives a very different feeling in terms of observing the war at a distance.
I too admire your fortitude, issybird!

I've read a couple of so-so fantasies since finishing The Shepherd's Life, so time for a bit of a change. Cycling back to a series I sort of lost track of a while back, but quite enjoyed -- Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody series. I appear to have left off just after starting the fifth, The Deeds of the Disturber, so restarting from the beginning. I didn't stop reading because I didn't like it, but something interfered and I just lost track. Plus I have an excellent Audible version, with narration by Barbara Rosenblatt.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote