Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: July 2010 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien 17 13.08%
His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik 13 10.00%
The Deed of Paksenarrion: The Sheepfarmer's Daughter (book 1) by Elizabeth Moon 24 18.46%
Magic Kingdom For Sale — Sold! by Terry Brooks 6 4.62%
American Gods by Neil Gaiman 22 16.92%
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll 8 6.15%
Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift 5 3.85%
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien 8 6.15%
The Princess Bride by William Goldman 11 8.46%
A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin 16 12.31%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-06-2010, 03:35 AM   #151
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
I've started on the second book in the Paks series and it involves more fantasy than the first one. More elves, orcs and magic.

I've finished the second book and find it more dark than the first one but at the same time a more interesting read.

Last edited by thinkpad; 07-10-2010 at 02:33 AM. Reason: added info
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 03:20 PM   #152
Trebro
Connoisseur
Trebro began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I know we can't discuss the book proper yet, but I'm curious:

Are the folks who usually like fantasy digging this one?

I haven't read fantasy in novel-length form in awhile, and I'm only ever able to get mildly interested, before the narration jerks to a boring stop. I'm wondering if it's me, who just isn't in to fantasy anymore, or if it's the book.
Trebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2010, 03:28 PM   #153
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebro View Post

I haven't read fantasy in novel-length form in awhile, and I'm only ever able to get mildly interested, before the narration jerks to a boring stop. I'm wondering if it's me, who just isn't in to fantasy anymore, or if it's the book.
I'm a 1/3rd into it and I'm finding nothing special about it so far. It seems to be formulaic with nothing special about it. They are now marching with the Duke and boy is that getting dull.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:02 PM   #154
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:

I share your sentiments and have been wondering as well if it was just me who've "grown away" from sword and sorcery fantasy.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:02 PM   #155
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I share your sentiments and have been wondering as well if it was just me who've "grown away" from sword and sorcey fantasy.
I still like a good fantasy book. Just this is not it (yet?).
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2010, 04:12 PM   #156
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I still like a good fantasy book. Just this is not it (yet?).
I lasted until 85% in when I finally gave up. It doesn't get any better IMHO.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:14 PM   #157
Trebro
Connoisseur
Trebro began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I will say there are flashes that interest me. But slogging through so much to get there just doesn't make me think I want to try book 2.

In my case, once I get to page 100, I always try to finish. But I can't blame anyone who bailed.

Is there another Baen book in the same genre I can try that others found more interesting, so I can see if maybe it's the book and not the genre?
Trebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:25 PM   #158
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm a 1/3rd into it and I'm finding nothing special about it so far. It seems to be formulaic with nothing special about it. They are now marching with the Duke and boy is that getting dull.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I share your sentiments and have been wondering as well if it was just me who've "grown away" from sword and sorcery fantasy.
Quote:
I will say there are flashes that interest me. But slogging through so much to get there just doesn't make me think I want to try book 2.

In my case, once I get to page 100, I always try to finish. But I can't blame anyone who bailed.

Is there another Baen book in the same genre I can try that others found more interesting, so I can see if maybe it's the book and not the genre?
I think the author builds too slow. I wonder about Pacs' destiny, but so far, only hints have been given. Chapter 26 (the last one I read) was interesting. Chapter 27 begins the 84% mark. Will I last to the 85% mark at which Ea quit? Yes, I've invested this much into it, so unless a house falls on me, I'll see it through to the end.

Is it a coincidence that in Latin Pax, a homophone of Pacs, means peace?

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 07-11-2010 at 06:33 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:34 PM   #159
glowhappy
lost my wits...
glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I think the author builds too slow. I wonder about her destiny, but so far, only hints have been given. Chapter 26 (the last one I read) was interesting. Chapter 27 begins the 84% mark. Will I last to the 85% mark at which Ea quit? Yes, I've invested this much into it, so unless a house falls on me, I'll see it through to the end.
I haven't started the book yet and after reading some of these post I'm wondering if I should even attempt it. Reading a boring book annoys me b/c not only is it a waste of time but it keeps me from reading something truly enjoyable...to read or not to read?!! LOL
glowhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:06 AM   #160
whiz16
whiz16 began at the beginning.

Device: sony
ohh.. the book starts n builds slow to get the readers to empathize and follow pak's growth from small sheepfarmer's daughter -> what she is at the 3rd book.

As the story follows her point of view and she only sees the events that involved her ( she's jus a grunt/recruit intially) so it might be boring to some readers.... until you read to a point where "certain" thing happen to Paks (2nd or 3rd book) , then it ties up neatly and u will notice that everything happens for a reason

Last edited by whiz16; 07-12-2010 at 12:10 AM.
whiz16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:45 AM   #161
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
Quote:
Originally Posted by glowhappy View Post
I haven't started the book yet and after reading some of these post I'm wondering if I should even attempt it. Reading a boring book annoys me b/c not only is it a waste of time but it keeps me from reading something truly enjoyable...to read or not to read?!! LOL
After reading "Sheepfarmer's Daughter" and really getting into it, I even bought the complete big book and am now just starting Book 3. I find it very entertaining and, for the most part, quite interesting - only the parts that describe weapons practice could, according to my taste, be a bit shortended
And that in view of the fact that I usually never read fantasy books.

So, I would recommend you start reading it and decide for yourself, as tastes are different. And, after all, it is free
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:28 AM   #162
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Book 2 and 3 are better than the first which is a bit slow.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:06 AM   #163
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This is one of my all-time favourite fantasy series. Just goes to show that different things appeal to different people. Book 3 is the real "core" of the story. Very, very dark, but absolutely gripping stuff (for me at least).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:27 AM   #164
Ea
Wizard

It was the prose that did me in. Not "bad" as such, just dull, bland and flat. Serviceable, but without life.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:33 AM   #165
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
I confess I've only read the prologue and half the first chapter. Something puts me off. I don't know if it's the style of the author or if I just can't resonate with the female character (although I love some other books with female protagonists from female authors, so I guess it isn't a male vs female thing).

Or maybe because I'm also reading pillars of the earth, which is completely absorving.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote