Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-30-2009, 05:52 AM   #1
scgf
Connoisseur
scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Amazon PW 3 iPad Pro, iPhone 12 Pro
Converting to ePub for new Opus

Hi. I have recently ordered the new Cybook Opus and while waiting for it I decided to convert all my ebooks to ePub format.

I have several eReader format books, which I have converted to html using ereader2html.py. I then used Calibre to convert to ePub.

Prior to the conversion to ePub I found the ISBN number and fetched the metadata and cover, then on starting the conversion there are lots of options in Calibre. I have selected the Opus as the output format, but does anyone have any advice of what other options I might change?

When I converted some pdf ebooks I noticed that there are large gaps on a page where the A4 original would have had a page break. Is there any way round this?

I take it I won't be able to convert any of my DRM protected Sony Reader ebooks?

Many thanks for your help.
scgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:58 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
You can to edit the HTML in the ePUB books to rmeove the space and replace by a page break. I don't know if there's an easy way to do this with Calibre, but at worst you could do it manually - change the extension to .zip, unzip, edit the HTML, re-zip and change back to ePUB.

I can confirm that currently there's no way to removed DRM from protected Sony eBooks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgf View Post
[...]
When I converted some pdf ebooks I noticed that there are large gaps on a page where the A4 original would have had a page break. Is there any way round this?

I take it I won't be able to convert any of my DRM protected Sony Reader ebooks?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2009, 06:01 AM   #3
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgf View Post
Hi. I have recently ordered the new Cybook Opus and while waiting for it I decided to convert all my ebooks to ePub format.

I have several eReader format books, which I have converted to html using ereader2html.py. I then used Calibre to convert to ePub.

Prior to the conversion to ePub I found the ISBN number and fetched the metadata and cover, then on starting the conversion there are lots of options in Calibre. I have selected the Opus as the output format, but does anyone have any advice of what other options I might change?

Many thanks for your help.
First, try to make a large right margin on all your books (12-15 pt) for the page numbers on the right side!

The large gaps on the former pdf files result from fixed page breaks. You may have to edit your intermediate html files manually to get rid of those.

LRF files: You're right!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:34 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
First, try to make a large right margin on all your books (12-15 pt) for the page numbers on the right side!

The large gaps on the former pdf files result from fixed page breaks. You may have to edit your intermediate html files manually to get rid of those.

LRF files: You're right!
As for the right margin, I use a right margin of 0 and it's fine. I'm able to easily make out the word that conflicts with ADE's page number. It does not take away any of the reading enjoyment. Plus it gives me more text per page. And on a 5" screen, you'll want it.

LRF can be converted using LRFTools. LRX is with DRM and cannot be converted.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote