Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-18-2009, 04:26 AM   #1
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
PDF bookmarks/Table of Contents not showing up

I have some PDF files that don't have bookmarks for Table of Contents. I created those in Acrobat Professional 9.0 and these bookmarks don't show up at all on the Sony. They do show up when I open the PDF on my Mac. What am I doing wrong?
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:08 AM   #2
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I called up Sony support and they have been of no help. The support person, I could tell from they way she as responding to my question, didn't have a clue what I'm talking about.

So, does anyone have a solution? I don't know why the bookmarks that were created on the PDF file are not showing up at all. The PRS-700 CD comes with a PDF manual. The PDF manual also has bookmarks and those bookmarks on the Sony show up as a "Table of Contents". I can click on the "Option" key in the Sony and a "Table of Contents" will appear.

However, PDF files where I added the bookmarks are not showing up as "Table of Contents" on the Sony. They aren't showing up at all.

I'm using Acrobat Pro 9 for Mac. I also have access to Acrobat Pro 8 for Macs.
Advert
Old 04-18-2009, 03:42 PM   #3
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist

Thumbs up

Okay, so I solved my own problem 12 hours after I realised this was a problem. *GASP* *SIGH*. This is what I get for being obsessive. I was unwilling to let go of the problem (thus sacrificing time I had allotted to grade student papers etc.).

I. The Issue

I had created PDF bookmarks to serve as Table of Contents. These bookmarks were not showing up on the Sony as the Table of Contents. In fact, they were nowhere to be found. Usually, if there is a Table of Contents, I can press the "Option" key and a "Table of Contents" link will come up in the subsequent box.

II. The Problem & Solution

Sony PRS-700 only read PDF bookmarks of a certain kind. Under Acrobat Professional 9 (and previous versions) you can create at least two type of bookmarks.
a. First type bookmark (Type A) whose action is "Go to a page in this document" and then you type in the page number you want the link to go to. Sony does not recognise this type of bookmark.

b. Second type of bookmark (Type B) whose action is "Go to a page number in this document" and then you indicate it by linking it to a pre-existing "Named Destination".

This means that prior to creating the bookmarks, you need to mark the destinations and name them. These will appear as "Destinations" under the Navigation Panel in the View menu. Sony does recognise this type of bookmark as "Table of Contents". If you want to know how to create these "Destinations" refer to the help system that is part of Acrobat Professional. It's too long for me to explain although it's not complicated at all.
In terms of what the end-user sees, bookmark "Type A" and bookmark "Type B" produce exactly the same results. But, again, Sony PRS-700 only recognise "Type B" as "Table of Contents".

"Type A" bookmark is simpler and faster to create. The PRS-700 is a bit inane in this regards but at least now I can continue editing my PDF books and have the Table of Contents show up.

But first...to grade student papers and do some paper book reading.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:45 PM   #4
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist

The above post might want to be considered as a "sticky" for those who may encounter this PDF bookmark problem? Could the moderator(s) consider if this is worthy of it?
Old 04-18-2009, 04:37 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hmm... we can't sticky every thread with a solution to some issue. Best bet is to put it into the Wiki.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2009, 05:18 PM   #6
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist

Putting it in the Wiki is fine. I don't know how to do that.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:10 AM   #7
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Did you really have to post it four times?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:03 PM   #8
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Did you really have to post it four times?
Well considering that I posted the question in three different subforums, since I didn't know where the problem lay (whether it was problem with the Sony, or a problem with the PDF creation method, or a problem with Calibre) it makes sense to conclude each of those questions with the solution I found.

I mean, doesn't it make sense to you? If one doesn't know exactly how to classify the problem, one would have to spread one's feelers to figure that one out.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:14 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by thibaulthalpern View Post
Well considering that I posted the question in three different subforums, since I didn't know where the problem lay (whether it was problem with the Sony, or a problem with the PDF creation method, or a problem with Calibre) it makes sense to conclude each of those questions with the solution I found.
Perhaps posting it once and just linking to the solution post would have been prudent. Most people here read several of the sections. So, posting the same thing several times is usually considered spamming. Although I know your intention was to help and provide some really good info.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote