Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-06-2009, 09:00 AM   #1
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
I've had my first bad formatting experience

with an Amazon book. "The Legend of Witch Bane". It was either a free or .99 book. My Kindle reading habit is to go to the "cover" and catch all of the pages between there and where Kindle decides the first page is at. The first issue is that it would not let me do that. The next issue was the chapter headings page was all muddled up. The last (so far) is that on new chapter pages, the first word has an overly large letter Using the font adjustment. This always leaves an orphan letter on one page with the rest of the word on the next.

Unfortunately it is turning out to be a fairly unreadable book as well. It was touted as being similar to Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings. Written primarily with children in mind but for adults as well. It talks down to kids while using at times confusing language.

I thought about putting this in the "Content" section, but this one won out.
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:57 PM   #2
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Seems to me that you should "return" this to Amazon. The only way that Amazon can start dealing with the problem of poorly formatted books is if people say something. I don't care if it was $9.99 or $1.59, if it's in the Kindle Store it should be formatted for the Kindle.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2009, 03:29 PM   #3
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

You are indeed correct as I am certain that it will be pulled from the free/cheap list soon enough.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I heard about this book as well and it peaked my interest briefly. I will be forgetting about it permanently, thanks to you.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:03 PM   #5
krisk
Wizard

It may be your cup of tea, however I found the writing style very odd. She swaps from speaking to very young children to speaking "down" to the reader to using words that the average 8th grader (which I assume is approximately target audience) wouldn't know. She also uses confusing sentence structure at times.
Advert
Old 04-07-2009, 02:07 PM   #6
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
The author actually posts here (I added it to the list after seeing that thread)

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...end+Witch+Bane

Try contacting him. - edit I would also post a negative review on Amazon.

I pulled it from the free/cheap list since the price went from $0.99 to $1.59

Last edited by Sporadic; 04-07-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:07 PM   #7
krisk
Wizard

*gulp* should I link him to my comment?
Old 04-07-2009, 07:17 PM   #8
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Two of the books I've purchased from Amazon recently have been badly formatted.

Silver Kiss by Annette Curtis Klause was really awful. It was full of OCR errors. I'd say about 1 a page on average and it almost made the book unreadable. However, I did read the book so I didn't complain to Amazon -- I think I'll write a bad review instead.

The other book was Shadow Kiss by Richelle Mead. It wasn't formatted that badly, but it had an extra line of space between every paragraph. A little annoying that's all.

(Yes, I like vampire books written for teenage girls.)

UPDATE: It looks like Silver Kiss has been pulled from the Kindle Store.

Last edited by Daithi; 04-07-2009 at 07:19 PM.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:10 PM   #9
KevisHendrickson
Zealot
KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Krisk,

As the author of The Legend of Witch Bane, I feel I must apologize to you for your unhappy reading experience with my book. My publisher behaved very irresponsibly and produced a shoddy version of my book for kindle. They have since resolved the formatting issues with my book and the new kindle version is quite error-free.

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy my book. But I do feel it is my responsibility to address the formatting issue.

If you would please contact me at aragornisking@lycos.com, I will gladly send you a refund. Again, I apologize for what happened and would like to rectify this issue as best I may.

Thank you for your patronage.
KevisHendrickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 04:27 PM   #10
krisk
Wizard

Well hello and thank you for the response! I'm not worried about a refund, and I am sorry about your hassle with the publisher.

I think you probably have a good story on your hands, I could see what you were doing with it. I'd like to throw out there that maybe another read through by a different editor would help reconcile some of the language usage issues ;o)

Good Luck!
Old 04-09-2009, 04:38 PM   #11
KevisHendrickson
Zealot
KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Thanks, Krisk!
KevisHendrickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:29 AM   #12
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs4life View Post
Today, 12:39 AM in another thread about The Legend of Witch Bane

Thanks I'm going to give it a try...

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs4life View Post
2 minutes before your post saying you are going to try the book

I read this book highly recommended!!!
Which one is it?

Also why do you put http://www.parkeddomain.us/blog/smart.GIF in [IMG] tags in every one of your posts?
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote