Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-24-2015, 04:18 PM   #46
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Well, it if you ever find time to enable setting date/time from KSM, it would be really great.
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 05:41 PM   #47
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_S View Post
Well, it if you ever find time to enable setting date/time from KSM, it would be really great.
I do not have a good idea how to easily implement a comfortable menu to set time and date. But since this is something you will not need very often, you might consider using the Kbterminal. For instance,
  • (ksm home) tools > start kbterminal.sh
  • type "date 23:28:30" (without the qoutes)
  • press "Enter"
  • press "keyboard"
  • press "EXIT"

type "date --help" and press "Enter" for more information.

Last edited by tshering; 11-24-2015 at 05:46 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2015, 07:47 PM   #48
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, this is all I need and it is very simple. No need to write complex scripts this way. Maybe for some it would be easier to have script, of course, but now that I know about terminal (I must admit I didn't tried to explore all options that are in KSM), it is really simple tool to do time change and more.

Maybe someone find some small and simple program that could get called out from KSM, just to make it easier for some.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:03 AM   #49
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
I do not have a good idea how to easily implement a comfortable menu to set time and date.
One way around that might be to automatically run e.g. ntpd -q -p pool.ntp.org upon enabling WiFi (or to add an option to do so). Or just to add a little script with that in it in the toolsdate time section.

Last edited by Frenzie; 11-26-2015 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Added extra thought about tools menu
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 01:59 PM   #50
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
One way around that might be to automatically run e.g. ntpd -q -p pool.ntp.org upon enabling WiFi (or to add an option to do so). Or just to add a little script with that in it in the toolsdate time section.
Thank you for the suggestion! This seems to be the easiest way.
Advert
Old 11-26-2015, 05:51 PM   #51
Alan_S
Evangelist

Yes, if there's WiFi access, automatically setting time is always good idea in my opinion.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:22 PM   #52
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
OT, I guess, but I wonder how they know the proper time zone and if it is daylight savings where your device is? By your ISP?

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 01:05 AM   #53
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
OT, I guess, but I wonder how they know the proper time zone and if it is daylight savings where your device is? By your ISP?

Luck;
Ken
The time on the device as well as time synchronization works by UTC. The time zone is a local affair, which can be set either in Nickel or in the toolsdate time menu.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 10:35 AM   #54
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
The time on the device as well as time synchronization works by UTC. The time zone is a local affair, which can be set either in Nickel or in the toolsdate time menu.
AH... so the site returns GMT/Zulu time and the device creates a variable with the local time, based on settings provided to the device by the user. I get it now.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:54 PM   #55
kwokhin
Enthusiast
kwokhin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I successfully updated to Kobo Start Menu 08.
I noticed the fonts are bigger which is easier to tap on
Thank you so much for your contentious contribution!
kwokhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:51 AM   #56
Melkior
Melkior began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o
Hi all,

First, I apologize for my bad English, it's not my native language sorry.

So, I have a h2o devise and I installed KSM8, In general all its ok but it remain some strange probleme! I tried to set a picture at offscreen BUT isn't going right! I made a very simple html with a .png at 1430*1080, all rename and put in "txt" folder. But when i press power off the image is not show and some times the h2o is NOT going off. I try little modifications of poweroff.sh without succes. The stange thing is that when i launch "poweroff test.sh" my img is perfectly show! More strange, some times after i launch this test, all menu's navigation or action come with a up/down switch of the screen (only the display not the touch). After a reboot the up/dwn problem is not anymore but I cant use "power off" of ksm!(at this point i need a "partial update" for a new poweroff button).

A other thing, when I launch "get resolution.sh" it show me that it is running at 1440*1080 but the h2o have a 1430*1080 resolution! maybe the problem come from here? some ajustment to do whith h2o?

I have some problem with auto resizing (pdf) in koreader too, maybe the same resolution pb?

All the other stuff work fine for now, perfect!!

You doing nice job! keep do it =)

See you, Mel.
Melkior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 03:09 PM   #57
tshering
Wizard

Welcome to KSM and the forum!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melkior View Post
I tried to set a picture at offscreen BUT isn't going right! I made a very simple html with a .png at 1430*1080, all rename and put in "txt" folder. But when i press power off the image is not show and some times the h2o is NOT going off. I try little modifications of poweroff.sh without succes. ...
... but I cant use "power off" of ksm!(at this point i need a "partial update" for a new poweroff button).
Something went wrong, but of course I do not know what was happening. In the current situation it might be best to restore the original poweroff.sh and poweroff_info.html. If you did not keep a backup copy, you can easily extract them from the installation package.

Quote:
The stange thing is that when i launch "poweroff test.sh" my img is perfectly show! More strange, some times after i launch this test, all menu's navigation or action come with a up/down switch of the screen (only the display not the touch). After a reboot the up/dwn problem is not anymore ...
The problem of the rotated screen haunts me since the introduction of the Aura HD. Maybe we could do some tests after your device is back to normal.
You say that after using "poweroff test.sh" the screen appears sometimes rotated, but not always. Do you mean that sometimes after using "poweroff test.sh" you can continue using the device as normal, and sometimes after using "poweroff test.sh" the screen is upside-down. Or do you mean that each time after using "poweroff test.sh", and that the screen is sometimes (actually each second time you do a selection) turned upside-down?

If your device is back to normal, could you call "configure" and set
[general] poweroffRandomdir=$ksmuser/mynotes/pofftest
and test whether it works, that mean you see some pictures after powering off? If you have not experience with "configure", look at this post.

Quote:
A other thing, when I launch "get resolution.sh" it show me that it is running at 1440*1080 but the h2o have a 1430*1080 resolution! maybe the problem come from here? some ajustment to do whith h2o?

I have some problem with auto resizing (pdf) in koreader too, maybe the same resolution pb?
The official specifications refer to the usable screen. The actual resolution is 1440*1080. However the top 10 rows are cover by the bezel. KSM and Koreader take this into account by skipping the 10 top rows.

Quote:
All the other stuff work fine for now, perfect!!
I am glad to hear this!

Last edited by tshering; 12-02-2015 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-05-2015, 12:39 PM   #58
Melkior
Melkior began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o
Hello again,

So, I have extract and replace both script as you said, better solution indeed!

I have put random html setting and it was working so I remove all html and put only mine (with modification for matching with random html already present) in the folder but my picture wasn't display when turn off :/
So I compressed the picture (reducing colors bit I guess) and then it's was nicely working!

I will try to desactivate random html (useless in my case) and use poweroff_info with my new html, no reason that doesn't work this time.

For the up/down problem,I tested the two powerofftest.sh,
The one in the "scripts/tests/" menu work fine and no problem come after
But the one in "user scripts/tests/" give me the up/down pb when use and this every times!

And the problem is:
When I do a action (i mean go in a orther menu, return or run script) the screen rotate 180° (ksm's menus in right bottom) but the touch dont rotate (a little bit tricky but ty for highlightment when scrolling the menu options).
So the screen rotate back in good orientation If do a action when the screen is 180° rotated!
So always up/down/up/down/up/down... when I use ksm.

When I have the problem :
-If i restart the devise the problem is no more.

-If i use koreader : If the sreen is in good orientation in ksm, koreader launch 180° rotated
If ksm is 180° rotated, koreader launch in good orientation.
In both case the screen stay in the same position when using koreader. I have to relaunch it from 180° rotated ksm if I want it in good orientation.

-If I launch Nickel the problem go away, Nickel is always in good orientation. Then if I go
back to ksm via exitnickel.png the probleme dont come back! No more rotating screen and then if I launch the defective powerofftest.sh (userscripts) the problem dont come again, all working as intended!

So i have this problem only when using "usescripts/tests/powerofftest.sh" after a starting and before using Nickel.

I shall this help you (if understandable)!
Melkior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:05 PM   #59
tshering
Wizard

If you device is not officially activated and you sideload(ed) FW 3.19.5613, select

(home) "tools" > "nickel divers.msh" > "activate device" > "deactivate device.sh"
and then
(home) "tools" > "nickel divers.msh" > "activate device" > "activate device empty.sh"

BEFORE you call nickel. Otherwise the device will inform you that the device is not synchronized with the Kobo server and that it is going to delete the database. If this is happening force the device to power down rather than agreeing to the only offered option ("continue", "ok" or something of that sort).

Last edited by tshering; 12-12-2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:14 PM   #60
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
For the up/down problem,I tested the two powerofftest.sh,
The one in the "scripts/tests/" menu work fine and no problem come after
But the one in "user scripts/tests/" give me the up/down pb when use and this every times!
Thank you for the feedback. I was not aware that I left the old script in "user scripts/tests/". Please use only the one in "scripts/tests/"!