Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-25-2015, 10:40 AM   #1
glasmann
glasmann began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Calibre 2.38.0 does not recognize my new Kindle Paperwhite

Calibre 2.38.0 does not recognize my new Kindle Paperwhite.

Upgraded to Win 10 from Win 7 weeks ago. Never had a Kindle. Now I have a new Kindle Paperwhite. It is tethered. There are no other devices tethered. The toolbar does not change when it is connected, so there are no entries for “Send to device” or “Device”. “Send to Device” from book (right click) ->“Send to main memory” is grayed out. Windows 10 DOES recognize the Kindle as my Drive F. I can drag a .mobi into the Kindle PW as Drive F. The Kindle is NOT in the excluded list. Toolbar setup when device connected is correct (i.e. includes device buttons). I have restarted the Kindle PW and the PC multiple times. I have followed all the tips in the message thread, including using two different cables.

Debug Device Detection:

calibre 2.38 [64bit] isfrozen: True is64bit: True
Windows-8-6.2.9200 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '8', '6.2.9200')
Python 2.7.9
Windows: ('8', '6.2.9200', '', 'Multiprocessor Free')
USB devices on system:
[u'usb\\vid_045e&pid_0745&rev_0252&mi_00',
u'usb\\vid_8087&pid_0020&rev_0000',
u'usb\\vid_0bda&pid_5801&rev_0008&mi_00',
u'usb\\root_hub20&vid8086&pid3b34&rev0005',
u'usb\\vid_045e&pid_0745&rev_0252&mi_01',
u'usb\\vid_8087&pid_0020&rev_0000',
u'usb\\vid_045e&pid_0745&rev_0252&mi_02',
u'usb\\vid_138a&pid_0005&rev_0<90',
u'usb\\root_hub20&vid8086&pid3b3c&rev0005',
u'usb\\vid_045e&pid_0745&rev_0252',
u'usb\\vid_0bda&pid_5801&rev_0008',
u'usb\\vid_1949&pid_0004&rev_0100']
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\scanner.py", line 85, in __call__
DriveError: No removable drives found
Drives detected:

No disabled plugins
Looking for devices of type: MTP_DEVICE
List of WPD PNP ids:
[u'\\\\?\\swd#wpdbusenum#{7393f71d-5add-11e5-9bd0-984be18c5809}#0000000000002000#{6ac27878-a6fa-4155-ba85-f98f491d4f33}']
No suitable MTP devices found

Looking for devices of type: SMART_DEVICE_APP
All IP addresses {'{3D749795-5CCE-4CF6-AE96-957712F9F6EB}': [{'addr': '169.254.153.10'}], '{4B0C3843-6068-4DE2-A54D-6938FBA2ED3B}': [{'addr': '192.168.1.117', 'netmask': '255.255.255.0', 'broadcast': '192.168.1.255'}], '{0C726BFA-39F6-11E5-9BC2-806E6F6E6963}': [{'addr': '127.0.0.1', 'netmask': '255.0.0.0', 'broadcast': '127.255.255.255'}], '{4CD01546-C130-4F4B-9623-6CFB39219B0D}': [{'addr': '169.254.24.225'}]}
No device is connected

Looking for devices...
u'usb\\vid_1949&pid_0004&rev_0100'
Devices possibly connected: None
glasmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 01:26 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You are suffering from the curse of windows 10 upgrades. The only known fix for your problem is a clean re-install of windows 10. Alternately, you can use the connect to folder function in calibre to connect to the documents folder on your Kindle.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2015, 04:20 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I wonder if rather than reinstalling Windows it might be sufficient to remove the USB ports from device manager and then perform a device detection and have windows reinstall the drivers.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:10 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I wonder if rather than reinstalling Windows it might be sufficient to remove the USB ports from device manager and then perform a device detection and have windows reinstall the drivers.
But how does it get a drive letter (F:) :chinscratch: that allows D&D ?

Is there some sort of Firewall for removable drives that I have not run into?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:54 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
IIRC the last person who had this issue tried it and it did not work. But it cant hurt to try.
Advert
Old 09-26-2015, 12:29 PM   #6
glasmann
glasmann began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Could someone explain what is going on? What clues are there from the "Debug Device Detection" that I submitted? I do not mind pursuing a "clean" install of Win10. BUT - are you saying that Win10 is only doing half the job, i.e. telling my PC that my Kindle is Drive: F, but NOT telling Calibre that the Kindle is there? Is that what is going on? Thanks, Mike
glasmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 12:53 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasmann View Post
Could someone explain what is going on? What clues are there from the "Debug Device Detection" that I submitted? I do not mind pursuing a "clean" install of Win10. BUT - are you saying that Win10 is only doing half the job, i.e. telling my PC that my Kindle is Drive: F, but NOT telling Calibre that the Kindle is there? Is that what is going on? Thanks, Mike
Here is a SAMPLE (K4NT) on my W10
Spoiler:
calibre Debug log
calibre 2.39 [64bit] isfrozen: True is64bit: True
Windows-8-6.2.9200 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '8', '6.2.9200')
Python 2.7.9
Windows: ('8', '6.2.9200', '', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM && Open With && Quality Check && Webscription && SmartEject && Fantastic Fiction && Goodreads && Generate Cover && Modify ePub && Manage Series && Import List && FictionDB && Diaps Editing Toolbag && Sort CSS && EpubMerge && Count Pages && Fantastic Fiction Adults && Search The Internet && EpubSplit && Resize Cover && Find Duplicates
Starting up...
macmenuhack file_path:C:\Users\------\AppData\Roaming\calibre\plugins\fanficfare_macmen uhack.txt
Started up in 9.73 seconds with 10679 books
Job: 1 Get device information started
DeviceJob: 1 Get device information done, calling callback
DeviceJob: 1 Get device information callback returned
Job: 2 Set library information started
DeviceJob: 2 Set library information done, calling callback
DeviceJob: 2 Set library informationJob: callback returned2
Job:Set library information 3finished
Get list of books on deviceNo details available.
started
Job: DEBUG: 0.01 USBMS: Fetching list of books from device. Device= KINDLE2Get device information oncard=finished
None
No details available.DEBUG: 0.0
USBMS: dirs are: I:\ documents
DEBUG: 0.2 USBMS: scan from root False I:\documents
DEBUG: 0.6 USBMS: count found in cache: 21, count of files in metadata: 20, need_sync: True
DEBUG: 0.6 USBMS: starting sync_booklists
Job: 2 Set library information finished
No details available.
DEBUG: 1.4 USBMS: finished sync_booklists
DEBUG: 1.4 USBMS: Finished fetching list of books from device. oncard= None
DEBUG: 1.4 USBMS: Fetching list of books from device. Device= KINDLE2 oncard= carda
DEBUG: 1.4 USBMS: Fetching list of books from device. Device= KINDLE2 oncard= cardb
DeviceJob: 3 Get list of books on device done, calling callback
DeviceJob: metadata_downloaded: Starting set_books_in_library
DeviceJob: set_books_in_library: books to process= 20
Job: 3 Get list of books on device finished
No details available.
DeviceJob: set_books_in_library finished: time= 0.00499987602234
DeviceJob: metadata_downloaded: updating views
DeviceJob: metadata_downloaded: syncing
DeviceJob: metadata_downloaded: refreshing ondevice
DeviceJob: metadata_downloaded: sending metadata_available signal
DeviceJob: 3 Get list of books on device callback returned
Job: 3 Get list of books on device finished
No details available.

You can see where I plugged in my K4

don't extract log data when you post. simply (with care) replace (a minimum amount) sensitive user info I used ---- in place of my W10 logon name
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:41 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

See

File "site-packages\calibre\devices\scanner.py", line 85, in __call__
DriveError: No removable drives found
Drives detected:

Your Kindle is not being marked as a removable drive by windows.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:29 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
A quick way to check whether or not Windows sees it as a removable disk might be to look in "Safely Remove Hardware..." gadget list in the tray

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot - 2015_09_27 , 13_10_22.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	142327

Are you using a USB Port external on a hub, monitor or keyboard or something. They've caused me grief in the past.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 11:52 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I'm not at my PC now but I do seem to remember some configuration options for USB devices to allow safe / unsafe removal (I think this alters how data caching happens) and also whether they can be used for Ready Boost. I wonder if during an upgrade any of these options get set?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 12:43 AM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I'm not at my PC now but I do seem to remember some configuration options for USB devices to allow safe / unsafe removal (I think this alters how data caching happens) and also whether they can be used for Ready Boost. I wonder if during an upgrade any of these options get set?
Ready Boost is in Drive Properties->Ready Boost tab

The other one is in Drive Properties->Hardware tab->select drive->Properties button->Policies tab, on transient devices especially probably best to take the option that disables the write cache (although I still eject them via the tray applet before removing or restart/reboot.)

Windows 10 has effectively turned my RB off - says there's nothing to be gained

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-27-2015 at 12:47 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, paperwhite, recognize