Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-13-2008, 03:08 PM   #1
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
ePub on the iPhone with Stanza/Feedbooks

Official page/Demo video
Help page on Feedbooks

Available for free

Presentation on the App Store:
"Read electronic books on your iPhone and iPod Touch! With a reading interface that is unprecedented in its clarity and ease of use, Stanza is bringing the eBook revolution to your pocket. Store and categorize hundreds of books in the organizer, choose from thousands of free books available in the Lexcycle Online Library, and transfer books you share from your computer using Stanza Desktop. Your entire summer reading, your class syllabus for the whole year, or all the reference material you will ever need: all at your fingertips. Literally."

This is great news for iPhone/iPod Touch owners: ePub support, thousands of books to download from Feedbooks and the possibility to transfer your own files in any format supported by Stanza Desktop.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 03:55 PM   #2
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Hope it works better than eReader from Fictionwise which only works on non-DRN books on your Bookshelf unless I'm doing something wrong.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2008, 04:03 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagansoul View Post
Hope it works better than eReader from Fictionwise which only works on non-DRN books on your Bookshelf unless I'm doing something wrong.
It works on DRMed eReader format books... since that is what the reader supports. But, no you wont be able to read secure mobi or lit books with the eReader app.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:15 PM   #4
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I was looking for this yesterday and couldn't find it so I had to download it and try it. I downloaded Cory Doctorow's "I, Robot" from Feedbooks and it worked great. Congratulations Hadrien.

The page turns works great except there seems to be a pause when changing chapters. I assume it's calculating the page numbers? The eReader app takes a lot longer to calculate when you change font or orientation and I assume it's doing the same thing.

My biggest problem is that my finger keeps hitting the "Super Money Ball" game instead of the "Stanza" application. Must learn will power.

Now I can try reading on my iPhone 3G.

Ahemnn... without the Phone or 3G parts. [Cough]
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:40 PM   #5
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
Unfortunately, you can only use Stanza for your existing library if you have a Mac.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2008, 04:45 PM   #6
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane View Post
Unfortunately, you can only use Stanza for your existing library if you have a Mac.
They're porting Stanza Destkop for Windows too.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:26 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane View Post
Does Stanza have Library management features? If so where? I don't see any in the beta that I have.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 06:48 PM   #8
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Love the concept (love Feedbooks on my Kindle!) even though I'm not big on reading on my iPhone - it's great for reference!

However, it's crashing and freezing up a lot.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 06:51 PM   #9
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Scratch that... It pretty much won't work at all.

I finally got it to download Leaves of Grass, but I can't get it to start to save my life. The little ball just spins and spins, and then it finally shows up and then shuts down almost immediately.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:51 PM   #10
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
I've got a book I converted that's doing the same thing - a couple of others are working fine, so I'm not sure what's wrong with this particular one.

So far, even with the problems, I'm liking the Stanza app. I also have the Bookshelf app and the free Ereader as well. Stanza seems to give a little more library organization, which I like, but I'm not sure about having to have the file open in the desktop app to download it.

Okay, so I opening the file I was having trouble with, left the ball spinning while I ate dinner, and it finished. It was a really quick-and-dirty conversion from e-reader, and it had no TOC, so the spinning ball was while it formatted(?) about 1900 iphone pages all in one large chapter. The bad news is that it seems to spin just as long if I exit the program and re-open the book. Looks like I'll have to spend some time in BD/Mobicreator.

Last edited by tlrowley; 07-13-2008 at 08:55 PM.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:09 PM   #11
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
The page turns works great except there seems to be a pause when changing chapters. I assume it's calculating the page numbers? The eReader app takes a lot longer to calculate when you change font or orientation and I assume it's doing the same thing.
In ePub, it is a best practice to use more than a single XML flow for a file. On Feedbooks, whenever we have a page break (between chapters for example), we create a new flow. When you get to the next chapter, the reading system loads the new flow which explains the delay.

Quote:
Okay, so I opening the file I was having trouble with, left the ball spinning while I ate dinner, and it finished. It was a really quick-and-dirty conversion from e-reader, and it had no TOC, so the spinning ball was while it formatted(?) about 1900 iphone pages all in one large chapter. The bad news is that it seems to spin just as long if I exit the program and re-open the book. Looks like I'll have to spend some time in BD/Mobicreator.
For a proper TOC, I would advise you to use ePub. It's the only file format with a proper support for TOC, through the use of NCX files.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:21 PM   #12
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

I downloaded an epub from jedisaber.com (it's the first site that popped up when I googled "creating ebooks epub", but it crashes the iPhone Stanza app every single time. This sounds more like what Gideon was seeing, than what I was seeing before. It simply dumps me back out to the home page.

The mobi files that I've loaded have worked - more-or-less
Old 07-13-2008, 10:24 PM   #13
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
I downloaded an epub from jedisaber.com (it's the first site that popped up when I googled "creating ebooks epub", but it crashes the iPhone Stanza app every single time. This sounds more like what Gideon was seeing, than what I was seeing before. It simply dumps me back out to the home page.

The mobi files that I've loaded have worked - more-or-less
Have you tried to transfer ePub files from Feedbooks through the Desktop app ? A huge file, Moby Dick for example: http://www.feedbooks.com/book/54.epub
Old 07-13-2008, 11:28 PM   #14
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Now, We are talking, Yeah it may be small, and the backlighting isn't as easy on the eyes but in just over a weekend look at the options now available for having a choice of formats. I have been using stanza on my mac for about a month it only makes sense that it now works on an Iphone. ( I believe giddy as a school girls comes to mind) Also will there be a new version of Stanza for the Desktop? 1.0 does not have an epub option for export, So what format do I use for my existing library?

JJ

Last edited by jerryleejr; 07-22-2008 at 02:31 PM.
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:04 AM   #15
tlrowley
Quilt Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
Have you tried to transfer ePub files from Feedbooks through the Desktop app ? A huge file, Moby Dick for example: http://www.feedbooks.com/book/54.epub
Moby Dick works fine, so it must be a problem with the specific book I downloaded. That book looks fine in the desktop program, though, so it can't be too bad.

I think there's going to be a lot of "working things out" now that all these apps are live. I have 3 different reader programs and all have their strengths and weaknesses. Right now, I think I like BookShelf.app the best, but it's the only one I paid for, so I would expect more from it.

As much as I love my iPhone, this really points out how happy I am with my Kindle. It will be nice to always have a book with me, I never go anywhere without my iPhone, but for actually "sitting down to read", I'll pull out the Kindle every time. These middle-aged eyes just can't take the backlit LCD for very long

Tags
epub, feedbooks, iphone, ipod touch, lexcycle, stanza