Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #1
Francesca Thomas
Francesca Thomas has a spectacular aura aboutFrancesca Thomas has a spectacular aura aboutFrancesca Thomas has a spectacular aura aboutFrancesca Thomas has a spectacular aura aboutFrancesca Thomas has a spectacular aura aboutFrancesca Thomas has a spectacular aura aboutFrancesca Thomas has a spectacular aura aboutFrancesca Thomas has a spectacular aura aboutFrancesca Thomas has a spectacular aura aboutFrancesca Thomas has a spectacular aura aboutFrancesca Thomas has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo
missing books

I just purchased 4 books from the Kobo store today and 3 of them are in my library but the 4th one is not.

It happens to be the most expensive book, and one I have been waiting a long time to read, so I really do want it. It is listed in my account so I know I have purchased it.

It does not seem to have a cover, so I checked all the black covers in my library and it is none of them.

How do I get the book, or how do I get my money back?

What details do you need?

SHARKUS? Anyone?

Francesca Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
ciscopixie
Enthusiast
ciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo Aura HD, iPhone SE
Have you tried syncing your device? Maybe it'll show then
ciscopixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
Francesca Thomas
Francesca Thomas has a spectacular aura aboutFrancesca Thomas has a spectacular aura aboutFrancesca Thomas has a spectacular aura aboutFrancesca Thomas has a spectacular aura aboutFrancesca Thomas has a spectacular aura aboutFrancesca Thomas has a spectacular aura aboutFrancesca Thomas has a spectacular aura aboutFrancesca Thomas has a spectacular aura aboutFrancesca Thomas has a spectacular aura aboutFrancesca Thomas has a spectacular aura aboutFrancesca Thomas has a spectacular aura about

Yes I synched it and no luck.

BUT I have found the book!!
It shows up as a Adobe digital edition so I have to read it on my Adobe Digital Reader on my PC, NOT on my Kobo.

Which IMO sucks - but hey - at least I found it and I can read it.

I just wish it had gone to my Kobo and not to my PC.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
Try going to the purchased tab in your library on the website and bookmarking it. That should nudge it to the I'm reading tab and enable it to download. (FYI, even with the ADE copy, you can still sideload it to your device from your PC.)
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
Francesca Thomas

I dont know if I can do that. Its listed as a PDF not as an Epub.

It is listed under the I'm Reading tab of my Library in my account section, but it still not showing up in my library on the Kobo desktop.

Can I download a PDF to my Kobo Glo?

And if yes, HOW do I do that?
Advert
Old 05-04-2013, 08:20 PM   #6
Francesca Thomas

ok now my Kobo Glo has just updated with new software - version 2.5.0.

I have seen people mention a newer version 2.5.1 - am I still out of date?

And BTW my Calibre is also now "broken"
I can no longer move books from Calibre to the Kobo Glo.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:38 PM   #7
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Thomas View Post
ok now my Kobo Glo has just updated with new software - version 2.5.0.

I have seen people mention a newer version 2.5.1 - am I still out of date?

And BTW my Calibre is also now "broken"
I can no longer move books from Calibre to the Kobo Glo.
2.5.1 fixes some bugs in 2.5.0. For both you will want to update to the latest Calibre version (0.9.29).
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #8
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Which book is it, Francesca? If you go to its page at the Kobo store, and look at the bottom right of the page, it will tell you which devices it can be read on.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Thomas View Post
I dont know if I can do that. Its listed as a PDF not as an Epub.

It is listed under the I'm Reading tab of my Library in my account section, but it still not showing up in my library on the Kobo desktop.

Can I download a PDF to my Kobo Glo?

And if yes, HOW do I do that?
If it's a PDF it is highly doubtful it will also be available in Kobo Desktop (kepub) format.

You will normally see either the combination of ePub and kepub, or PDF, but NOT kepub and PDF.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #10
Francesca Thomas

OK at bottom right it says this -

Read this on:
Adobe Digital Editions More
eReaders More

When I click ereaders more I get this -
You can read this item on your Kobo eReader or other select eReaders (see a list of supported eReaders). You will need a free application called Adobe Digital Editions to open your book and transfer it to your eReader.

So I have the Adobe Digital Edition on my PC - how do I transfer the book to my ereader?

At Top Right it says this -

Adobe DRM PDF What's this?
This item is in your library

But right now I dont see it in my Desktop Library although it is in my Account Purchasing history.

Right now I am not terribly worried. I have the book, and I can read it. It's just that it is NOT on my Kobo - that's all.

Last edited by Francesca Thomas; 05-05-2013 at 04:57 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:28 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In the "My Library / Purchased" section of the Kobo Books website http://www.kobobooks.com/library/purchased.html you will see all books you have bought. Besides each book you will see a blue box that will read ADOBE DRM EPUB or ADOBE DRM PDF (not sure of the exact wording for the PDF).

Clickinng on this will download an ACSM file. This in turn when opened on your PC by ADE will download either the ePub or PDF format of the book.

With ADE open and your Kobo attached to the PC you should be able to "drag" the book to the Kobo (again, within ADE).
Old 05-05-2013, 12:56 AM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
In the "My Library / Purchased" section of the Kobo Books website http://www.kobobooks.com/library/purchased.html you will see all books you have bought. Besides each book you will see a blue box that will read ADOBE DRM EPUB or ADOBE DRM PDF (not sure of the exact wording for the PDF).

Clickinng on this will download an ACSM file. This in turn when opened on your PC by ADE will download either the ePub or PDF format of the book.

With ADE open and your Kobo attached to the PC you should be able to "drag" the book to the Kobo (again, within ADE).
Additional to what Peter says, the first time you connect your Kobo to ADE, it will want to authorize your ereader. This is necessary to allow reading Adobe ADEPT DRM ebooks in either PDF or epub format.

Once authorized, leave the Kobo connected to your computer and copy the .adobe-digital-editions folder from there to your computer. If you ever have to do a factory reset, you can copy that folder back and save yourself having to re-authorize your Kobo. Actually, what you need is a hidden file called activation.xml inside that folder.

Once your Kobo is authorized, if you right click on a book in the ADE library, you should see a "copy to computer/device" item, hover on that and then click on Koboereader to transfer the book.

If possible, check to see if there is an epub version available. While your Kobo can display a .pdf file, the reading experience is far better with an .epub file.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:00 AM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

David; I think though from what was said that Francesca will be out of luck with that one book.

Francesca; could you share with us the names of the books in question?

Thanks !
Old 05-05-2013, 04:52 AM   #14
Francesca Thomas

Alright, Alright.

This particular book that I am having trouble with is called
King of the Confessors: a New Appraisal by Thomas Hoving.

Hoving wrote the original book (of the same title) way back in 1981 and then he wrote a second edition (if you want to call it that) in 2001. This "new edition" has never actually been in print - and has always only been available as an e-book. The publisher is Cybereditions.

Yesterday I finally found it on Kobo and purchased it - before I checked if it was an epub or a PDF. I was just so excited to know that I could get it at long last. But then it didn't show up on my Library desktop so I started asking questions, and here we are.

As for those complicated instructions on authorizing a Kobo and moving a PDF to the Kobo, well I will think about doing it. I might get my husband to do it since he is far more technically minded than I am, and I dont want to screw this up, which I am more likely to do.

Thanks for the instructions anyway, guys - much appreciated.

Last edited by Francesca Thomas; 05-05-2013 at 04:55 AM.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #15
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Kobo has a good guide to using ADE here: http://www.kobobooks.com/ade
taming is offline   Reply With Quote