Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 04-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
pwright2
Connoisseur
pwright2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
How long will the usb port last?

I'm concerned about he micro-usb port used as charger connect on the Fire2.

I fear it will get bent, crimped, damaged and, since it does not look repairable, I will have to return m Fire to Amazon and I'll have to transfer all my stuff to another Fire and spend a month getting things just right.

Besides, the cord falls out if I try to charge it while using it.

Anuy ideas?

-----Paul-----
pwright2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:57 AM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Get Carbon, it'll let you do backups of everything:

http://www.clockworkmod.com

Send it back for a replacement. You won't regret it.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2013, 03:29 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright2 View Post
I'm concerned about he micro-usb port used as charger connect on the Fire2.

I fear it will get bent, crimped, damaged and, since it does not look repairable, I will have to return m Fire to Amazon and I'll have to transfer all my stuff to another Fire and spend a month getting things just right.

Besides, the cord falls out if I try to charge it while using it.

Anuy ideas?

-----Paul-----
Micro-USB connectors were specifically designed to be more robust than the older mini-USB, so there's really no reason to expect it to fail, as long as you treat it with a moderate amount of care.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #4
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Micro-USB connectors were specifically designed to be more robust than the older mini-USB, so there's really no reason to expect it to fail, as long as you treat it with a moderate amount of care.
Yeah, but I've never had a micro USB connector fall out during moderate casual use of a device. THIS particular connector just might be damaged. Sending it in for evaluation might not be a bad idea. (though to be fair, I don't regularly use a device while charging, I prefer charging speed over reduced down-time.)
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:02 AM   #5
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Yeah, that "more durable" claim is nonsense in practical terms. The design of the port itself might be more durable for plug insertion and removal but the actual engineering implementations are as fragile as heck.

My son has gone through two Fire usb ports and he did nothing excessive to either of them. Thankfully, Amazon replaced them both times without issues, but we're being extra careful to not let it happen again.

Last edited by ApK; 04-16-2013 at 02:14 PM.
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2013, 11:17 PM   #6
pwright2
Connoisseur
pwright2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Yeah, I'd like to know what the 'more durable' aspects are. It is smaller. It might be more durable from a plug straight in/remove straight out aspect but what about side loads from the connector body? Is that stronger too? Even if the connector is stronger, how about the circuit board it is attached to?
pwright2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:25 PM   #7
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Relax.. It will last a long time..
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #8
JakesFriend
Jakes Friend
JakesFriend began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite1
I had an issue with the HDMI port (the cable would not fit securely; moving the Kindle droppped the signal to my TV). Had quite a frustrating go-round with support; got shunted to the extended warranty folks who tried to send me back to the "regular" Amazon-Kindle support. Eventually got Kindle replaced but developed very low opinion of Amazon-Kindle support.
JakesFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:15 PM   #9
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
When I use the usb port, I tend to treat it like handling a rattlesnake.

With respect!

I do my best not to put any strain on the port or the cord when they are in use, from years of amateur radio and messing with electronics, I have learned to treat plugs and cords gently.

From reading all of the forums/boards about problems with usb ports, is there any other way not to do it without care?

I think not.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #10
JakesFriend
Jakes Friend
JakesFriend began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite1
I agree, DustyD., and treat my electronic "pets" with respect. My HDMI-port problem surfaced when my Kindle Fire HD was brand new.
JakesFriend is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire2, grieve., loss, power, usb