Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-07-2014, 02:19 PM   #46
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
After reading recommendations here, I added The Martian to my wish list at Amazon. I'm hoping someone will give me a copy. My local library has selected this book for the Book Club discussion for September. That gives me some time to borrow it from the library as well.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:55 AM   #47
Harlock415
Connoisseur
Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle Voyage
Seeing that the waiting list for the book through my library is huge, I just went ahead and purchased it. Despite the heavy tech in it I find the style really engaging and am really enjoying it right now.
Harlock415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2014, 11:10 AM   #48
~Kate
Connoisseur
~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Fire HDX 8.9, Nexus 7 2013
Good book. Although "guy stranded on Mars" may not grab everyone's attention, it has enough ingenuity and humor to make it a memorable read.

I can just see a few Chemistry and Physics teachers use parts of this to liven up their lectures.
~Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:35 PM   #49
IcecreamLtDan
Groupie
IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite, Kobo wireless, Kobo Glo
Got the audio book and so far it's just as humorous and enjoyable.
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:06 AM   #50
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Ira Flatow mentioned the book on the summer science books segment of Science Friday on NPR.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2014, 11:00 AM   #51
bar49
bar49 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bar49 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bar49 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bar49 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bar49 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bar49 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bar49 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bar49 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bar49 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bar49 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bar49 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kindle 2, PW2
Based on the recommendations found here, I also picked up the book and found it a very enjoyable read.
bar49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:26 AM   #52
Harlock415
Connoisseur
Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

I finbished this a few days ago and I really liked it. Don't let technobabble steer you away from it. It's a great read, rather quick too, actually and very engaging.
Harlock415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:55 PM   #53
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
A Fall of Moondust by Clarke is quite similar to The Martian and equally good.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:26 PM   #54
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire Nanny View Post
After reading recommendations here, I added The Martian to my wish list at Amazon. I'm hoping someone will give me a copy. My local library has selected this book for the Book Club discussion for September. That gives me some time to borrow it from the library as well.
I got a copy from the library. I have to admit that it was an outstanding read. Thanks for the recommendations.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:15 AM   #55
sl42
Enthusiast
sl42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sl42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sl42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sl42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sl42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sl42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sl42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sl42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sl42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sl42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sl42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
I know that "hard" SF isn't everyone's cup of tea, and it's usually not mine either, but I found this e-book to be "un-put-downable." It's a credible story of human endurance and ingenuity in the face of insurmountable odds. The characters were compelling, and I found myself really rooting for the hero.
I read this a couple months ago and absolutely loved it. I cannot begin to
recommend it enough, but I’m very much a fan of “hard” sci-fi. In fact I’m
the sort that cringes at the phrase “Fantasy/Sci-Fi” because in my mind
these genres are polar opposites. I was amazed to read “The Martian”
because it is the only example of true honest-to-goodness hard science
fiction, unmarred by a single element of nonsense or phlebotinum of any
kind that I can think of. (Excluding a lot of "Golden Age" works which were
pretty good by the science of their eras but have aged rather poorly)

I’d love to find more books like this. As much as I enjoy science fiction
which respectfully alters reality in order to allow a plot to proceed,
finding a story set in a universe functionally indistinguishable from our
own is a *very* welcome change.

I think I recall “The Listeners” by James Gunn being pretty close - but
it’s been a long time since I read it and there may have been some
nonsensical bits in there that I’m forgetting about.
sl42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:10 PM   #56
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
The author Andy Weir is being interviewed by Leo LaPorte right now on TWiT on Triangulation. The episode is almost over but you'll be able to stream, download or listen to the audio version by the end of today (or any time) at:

http://twit.tv/show/triangulation
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:36 PM   #57
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Thanks for that link. Just watched it and it was very interesting. Lot of fascinating insight.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:57 PM   #58
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
The author Andy Weir is being interviewed by Leo LaPorte right now on TWiT on Triangulation. The episode is almost over but you'll be able to stream, download or listen to the audio version by the end of today (or any time) at:

http://twit.tv/show/triangulation
I would really recommend that anyone considering reading the book NOT watch or listen to this show first. Leo starts out saying he wants to avoid spoilers, but ends up blurting out two major plot points, including the ending!

It's more interesting for people who have read the book, to know that all of the science is fact-based, and all of the number crunching is based on reality--from orbital transit times to efficiency of solar panels to growth rates of potatoes.

Last edited by curtw; 08-13-2014 at 07:26 PM.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 03:53 PM   #59
varlog
actually it is /var/log
varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs t1
There is an article on "The Martian" on Ars Technica. Being afraid of spoilers I havn't read it yet but it seems interesting.
varlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:13 PM   #60
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
I keep hearing about this book on the SecurityNow and MacBreak podcasts, and have had it on my wish list. I accidentally bought it one-click last week, but did a refund request, then today I got a price drop notification from eReaderIQ... maybe that's a sign that I should just buy it and read it!
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote