Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-27-2011, 10:59 AM   #1
davros72
davros72 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Kindle Touch needing hard restart a LOT

Hi everyone, my first post so please be gentle with me...

I got a Kindle Touch the day it was released. Used Calibre to load a lot of ebooks (several hundred). KT was very sluggish especially when I tried sorting into collections. I needed to do the hard restart (hold power button approx 20 seconds, etc.) a lot to get it to do what I wanted. Eventually, within about 2 weeks of using it, the thing just froze on the boot screen with the guy under the tree. Amazon sent me a new KT which is working a lot better. (I also learned to load books on it in small batches and let it index before adding more, that seemed to help a lot in terms of reducing sluggishness.)

However, in the last week or so, my new KT has been acting up. I did also unsubscribe to Special Offers. But lately, I get one good reading session, then the next time I come back to read, it's sluggish to non-responsive, often requiring yet another hard restart. Sometimes I get lucky and turn it on, the page comes up, I read, touch to go to the next page, read the next page, then touch for the next page and have to wait a minute or so for it to respond and go to the next page. From that point on it's usually OK. But sometimes it just does not respond at all. I'm tired of having to do hard restarts all the time, especially since that sends me back to Special Offers land. (I can subscribe then unsubscribe again which sends the signal to my KT, but I hate having to do that so often.) It also seems that it starts getting wonky after I turn on wi-fi, even if I turn it off as soon as I'm done wi-fi-ing.

I love my Kindle Touch and I really don't want to abandon it for something else, but this is the second unit I've used in just over a month that's been crapping out on me. Any suggestions/hints/tips/help/etc would be greatly, greatly appreciated. Thanks!
davros72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
I've noticed this behavior also, it always seem to happen after turning it on. If I reset it then turn it on it will work fine. It is not consistent but it happens enough to be annoying. I really hope they are working on some time of fix for it. I did notice though that this happened after I added more than 500 books on my Touch. I am thinking about taking the number back down to the @450 that I had on it before, it is as if it cannot handle so many books on it, but why give us more space if it cannot handle it? Personally I think mine might be related to the search index, I think I may have some bad files in there since I have over 1800 files in the directory but I only have 632 books on my Touch. I think I will clean out the index folder and let it re-index to see if this improves the behavior.

Nyn
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2011, 12:02 PM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Could very well be a corrupted ebook file. I suggest you remove all of your ebooks, and just re-add a couple of them for a period of time and see if the performance improves.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:59 PM   #4
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Could very well be a corrupted ebook file. I suggest you remove all of your ebooks, and just re-add a couple of
them for a period of time and see if the performance improves.
That is a good suggestion, I will try it if the re-indexing doesn't work since I've arlready started that process.

Nyn
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:48 PM   #5
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Even though the Kindles will hold well over 1000 books, the reality seems to be that they get a bit sluggish at best when you get over a few hundred. On my K3, all was well until about 600 books, and then I started needing periodic reboots. I've started trimming down how many I have on the Kindle, now, and it appears to have settled down and stopped being annoying. Since I really don't have any valid reason for keeping them all on the Kindle, I think I'm going to clear out all but my "ToBeRead" collection and a few in each of the other collections.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2011, 03:59 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I currently have 566 books on my KT, and so far have had no problems.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:37 PM   #7
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool not experienced any problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I currently have 566 books on my KT, and so far have had no problems.
And on my Kindle Keyboard there are over 1200 MOBIs and I have (knock knock) not experienced any problems and I read from it between 4 and 10 hours per day (depends on the day).
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:44 PM   #8
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
I've had no problems whatsoever with 500+ books loaded. It may be one book that is corrupted and causing a problem. I would recommend NOT loading a large amount of books at once. My suggestion is to remove all books and then add them in small batches at a time. Between additions, check the operation of your KT for any sluggishness.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:49 PM   #9
RolandD
Fanatic
RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch is now my main eReader.
I had similar problems and suspected that there were some corrupted books. I would advise reconverting your .mobi files with the newest version of Calibre.
RolandD is offline   Reply With Quote