Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 10-16-2011, 01:48 AM   #1
mitchwah
Connoisseur
mitchwah is on a distinguished road

Device: Jetbook Lite, Ematic 7" eReader
Jetbook Lite Locks Up after almost 2 years of use

So, my Jetbook Lite would be 2 years this December, love it, I spend more time with it in bed than with my husband and I never had a problem until last night when it froze on a page. It won't turn off, light remains solid green, so I tried to reset the device. When I turned it back on, it froze on the first screen, where the Jetbook Lite logo is on. I waited forever for it to turn to the vintage book graphic that usually comes next. Nothing. I then thought to upgrade the firmware but unfortunately, my computer doesn't recognize the device anymore- tried it on 2 different computers, same result. I tried resetting to factory setting, exactly as Ken described on another thread, but after about 20+ attempts and not getting past the logo, I gave up. Maybe I'd try again some other time.

Do I have other options to fix this thing or is this doomed to be an ugly paper weight?

I am waiting for Ectaco to reply back with options and would appreciate your suggestions, too. Thank you!
mitchwah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 03:22 AM   #2
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Have you removed the batteries?

I would remove the batteries, wait a few seconds, then press the power button (as if turning it on, to discharge any power still in the JBL) and hold it for a few seconds.

Then put the batteries back in and hold the power button the usual few seconds to turn it back on.

I've never experienced this problem myself, but that's the first thing I'd try if it was me. Good luck!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2011, 01:07 PM   #3
mitchwah
Connoisseur

I tried removing the batteries for about 5 minutes, put it back on but still the same. I will try removing it longer. Thank you!
Old 10-16-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
DebbyS
Zealot
DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite; Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0)
Can you plug your JBL into your computer (via the cord) and will it come on? I haven't used my JBL much, I've just been preparing books for it. I recently tried turning it on and nothing happened. I figured that I had added so many books to the card, the JBL was busy indexing perhaps. Just in case, I changed out the batteries, putting in new, charged rechargeables, replacing the original batteries that had come with the device (in the box). Then I plugged the device into my computer and one or both of those "fixes" made it pop right on okay. In a few moments, I unplugged the cord and the device kept working fine. Since then, it has worked okay. I kind of suspect the batteries were cheapo and ineffective, though the JBL talking to my computer may have helped, like a little sister talking to a big sister Sometime I'll have enough books ready to actually start reading...
DebbyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:32 PM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
That's not good news. There's a lockup, like you describe, that I haven't found a fix for.
Part of the problem is that sometimes, in some cases, a fix will work. I have one that another poster
sent me, with that problem, that refuses to work, no matter what I've tried.

My own JBLs are about the same age as yours, I think. They are still working fine, so far. I have one
backup that hasn't seen a battery yet, so even if they flake out at the two year mark, I can hope for
another two years.

As perfect as I have found the JBL, for my casual reading, the technology keeps advancing and the
prices keep falling. I don't know if the future will bring me an eReader that fits my needs as well as
the JBL does, but I can only hope, it will.

Hopefully Ectaco will have some good option to a jetBook that dies, out of warranty.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2011, 02:06 AM   #6
mitchwah
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyS View Post
Can you plug your JBL into your computer (via the cord) and will it come on? I haven't used my JBL much, I've just been preparing books for it. I recently tried turning it on and nothing happened. I figured that I had added so many books to the card, the JBL was busy indexing perhaps. Just in case, I changed out the batteries, putting in new, charged rechargeables, replacing the original batteries that had come with the device (in the box). Then I plugged the device into my computer and one or both of those "fixes" made it pop right on okay. In a few moments, I unplugged the cord and the device kept working fine. Since then, it has worked okay. I kind of suspect the batteries were cheapo and ineffective, though the JBL talking to my computer may have helped, like a little sister talking to a big sister Sometime I'll have enough books ready to actually start reading...
Yes, when I plug the JBL to the computer, it will turn on but is stuck on the logo. I have loaded a freshly charged Eneloop batteries, still doesn't work. Oh well. Thanks for your message, though. Yeah, having millions of books in the card does have a very good feeling of satisfaction even if we can't read all of them. lol.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:25 AM   #7
mitchwah
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
That's not good news. There's a lockup, like you describe, that I haven't found a fix for.
Part of the problem is that sometimes, in some cases, a fix will work. I have one that another poster
sent me, with that problem, that refuses to work, no matter what I've tried.

My own JBLs are about the same age as yours, I think. They are still working fine, so far. I have one
backup that hasn't seen a battery yet, so even if they flake out at the two year mark, I can hope for
another two years.

As perfect as I have found the JBL, for my casual reading, the technology keeps advancing and the
prices keep falling. I don't know if the future will bring me an eReader that fits my needs as well as
the JBL does, but I can only hope, it will.

Hopefully Ectaco will have some good option to a jetBook that dies, out of warranty.

Luck;
Ken
Thank you, Ken. My JBL has given me years of faithful service and I guess he's due for a retirement. Ectaco hasn't given any reply yet since I reported this over the weekend, but I don't think it's worth the trouble sending it back to them and paying for shipping and repairs. So I guess it's time to look around for a great deal on another JBL or perhaps another reader for Christmas/Black Friday. As you said, A LOT of seemingly great eReaders have been cropping up since I settled for the JBL, I'll see if there's anything with specs as good as the JBL. [Time to go and research.]
Old 10-17-2011, 01:08 PM   #8
DebbyS
Zealot
DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite; Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0)
Hmm, if it's stuck at the logo, so the JBL doesn't do anything... but it responds to your computer... can your computer look into the JBL and see it and can you know that by using Windows Explorer and file manage the little onboard storage there? If so, maybe you could go further and, oh, reformat the jbl or something like that? Ken is a zillion times more knowledgeable on that part of it than I am, but if you can get your computer to talk to the jbl, maybe your computer can poke it and bring it out of its funk Just a thought.
DebbyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:00 PM   #9
mitchwah
Connoisseur

Sorry Debby, I should have been more clear. If I plug the JBL to the computer, it turns on, but stuck on the Jetbook logo AND the computer says the USB device plugged is corrupted and doesn't recognize it. So I can't go in further and explore the software.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:04 PM   #10
mitchwah
Connoisseur

So, Ectaco replied and said my only option is "trade-in only". I think I'll just have to wait for a deal on another reader or another JBL.

Cheers,
Michelle
Old 10-17-2011, 02:18 PM   #11
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyS View Post
Hmm, if it's stuck at the logo, so the JBL doesn't do anything... but it responds to your computer... can your computer look into the JBL and see it and can you know that by using Windows Explorer and file manage the little onboard storage there? If so, maybe you could go further and, oh, reformat the jbl or something like that? Ken is a zillion times more knowledgeable on that part of it than I am, but if you can get your computer to talk to the jbl, maybe your computer can poke it and bring it out of its funk Just a thought.
Actually that's one of the approaches that sometimes works. Reformatting the JBL's
internal memory is an easy task. If you can see a drive letter for your JBL, in Windows
then it's a simple right click option. If there were some corruption of the filesystem
that was causing the hangup, this would likely fix things. This is one of many fixes that
have been discussed that can work, if the JBL cooperates.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:49 AM   #12
adreamer
adreamer began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2, Paperwhite 2
LED keeps on blinking? If so, it is possible that one of the right side keys got struck. In that case, you can push the keys from under and restart it. It will work fine after that.
adreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:31 AM   #13
mitchwah
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by adreamer View Post
LED keeps on blinking? If so, it is possible that one of the right side keys got struck. In that case, you can push the keys from under and restart it. It will work fine after that.
It is solid green, it doesn't blink but that is worth a try. Thanks!