Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-07-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
jtndesigner
jtndesigner began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
PDF 2 epub conversion taking forever..

Anyone have this issue? I converted several books larger than the last batch, that are taking (and still going as of this post) in the upwards of 1,000+ minutes in the converting process.. Anyone have an idea?
jtndesigner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:58 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
It can take as long as necessary to complete. If it's running it's working. Let it work.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2011, 08:05 PM   #3
jtndesigner

Thanks! My only concern was that the book(s) it is hung up on, are considerably smaller than the larger books it flies through. Thoughts?
Old 01-07-2011, 08:24 PM   #4
user_none
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Size isn't the determining factor of the time it takes to convert. Complexity of the document is. Even if it looks like a simple document it might not be.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:55 AM   #5
jtndesigner

Just hit 2,000 minutes on both of them, and it still isn't past 1%/Working...

Retrieving document metadata...
Generating manifest...
Rendering manifest...
Parsing all content...
Parsing index.html ...

I can understand that it would take a bit longer due to complexity, but I run a six core AMD, 8gb ddr3, 270mb/sec ssd hdd box, it shouldn't take this long.
Advert
Old 01-08-2011, 11:03 AM   #6
user_none

A "bad book" can take weeks to complete a conversion. If it's running and hasn't given you an error it's still working. You're best bet at this point would be to open the PDF with Acrobat and save as text. Then use calibre to convert the text.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:53 PM   #7
jtndesigner

I'll let it run for a week and see if it converts them. While, I have your attention, on my Nook Color, there a few converted books, that the cover doesn't show up. The image file is referenced correctly in the metadb file, and the cover exists. I just converted a whole bunch of books, individually, and like I said, only a couple of covers didn't show up. Any thoughts?
Old 01-08-2011, 04:28 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
see http://bugs.calibre-ebook.com/ticket/8182
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote