Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-05-2010, 09:08 PM   #1
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Study proves reading on iPad is slow!

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20049..._the_ipad.html

There you have it, reading on an iPad (or any other eReader device) is proven to be slower than reading on paper.

Evelyn Woods, here I come!
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:20 PM   #2
lukasfikr
Enthusiast
lukasfikr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kindle 3, Apple iPad/iPhone 4
Who cares for 6-10 % difference, eh?
BTW it is maybe due to errors and poor formating of some eBooks ...
lukasfikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:50 PM   #3
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
The refresh time on eInk devices would effect it for sure.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:40 AM   #4
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Mostly my reading is only for pleasure. Even if reading for work, I have to understand what I've read. So the issue here is more the time I need to understand what I read (standards and such) than how long it takes to turn the page.
For pleasure... well, if I read for pleasure, I take my time anyways
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:58 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This is already being discussed here. Please continue the discussion in that thread.

Thanks!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:57 AM   #6
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

that thread is in the news forum, since it's about the ipad, maybe it should be in the apple forum? :P
Old 07-06-2010, 10:26 AM   #7
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Nice troll title. Why not: the iPad proven to be faster reading than a kindle? There were only 24 subjects...so I wouldn't put much stock in it's conclusions particularly with such small differences.

What I found interesting was the wide difference between reading on a computer verses an iPad. It confirms what I've been trying to tell folks....reading on the iPad is not the same as reading on your computer even though they both have LCD screens.

Nonny
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:53 AM   #8
scottjl
Reader of Books

next time i'll put [sarcasm] tags around the title for you..
Old 07-06-2010, 04:17 PM   #9
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Rather small cohort.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:35 AM   #10
JimKal
Zealot
JimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad, iMac,iPhone, Kindle Touch
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
What I found interesting was the wide difference between reading on a computer verses an iPad. It confirms what I've been trying to tell folks....reading on the iPad is not the same as reading on your computer even though they both have LCD screens.

Nonny
That's a very good point. I use an iMac but if I have a long article I want to read or even a long email, I'll print it out. Yet with my iPad I read novels and find it not to be a problem at all. I don't mean this as a critical statement about e-ink devices but simply am agreeing with you that reading on the iPad is different than reading on a computer screen.
JimKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:20 PM   #11
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I wouldn't use my laptop either for reading full length articles or books. I tried once on my lap, but the experience was really not pleasing at all. Besides of the viewing angles and the awkward operation via the keyboard when placing the pc on the lap, I just have too many devices hooked up to my laptop (printer, mouse, tablet, external harddrives...). And it's really cumbersome to unhook and hook up all again. I first thought I dislike the ipad because of the missin usb and whatever other connectors, but after using it for a while, I think, after all, apple did put quite some brain in not having other connectors other than the one at the bottom
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:24 PM   #12
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
I used to use my laptop for reading comics, and while it had a much better screen for reading comics on (1920x1200), the iPad is a much better device for reading comics on, ergonomically.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book, ipad, reading, speed, study