Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-06-2009, 10:12 AM   #1
paulpeer
Zealot
paulpeer is on a distinguished road

Device: iPhone, Sony PRS-505, EPUBreader
UTF-8 encoding not accepted?

I've made some books with Sigil in which there are foreign characters. The result is perfect in 5 different readers (iPhone: Stanza; Mac: Stanza; Windows: Mobipocket Reader; Firefox EPUBReader; Sigil) but in the Sony PRS-505 all the accented characters are shown as question marks.

In the Sony forum they suggest that the problem is in the source code. But the source code created by Sigil states <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>. This should be enough for the Sony reader in order to show the text faultlessly. Or am I overlooking something?

Thanks!
paulpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:48 AM   #2
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpeer View Post
I've made some books with Sigil in which there are foreign characters. The result is perfect in 5 different readers (iPhone: Stanza; Mac: Stanza; Windows: Mobipocket Reader; Firefox EPUBReader; Sigil) but in the Sony PRS-505 all the accented characters are shown as question marks.

In the Sony forum they suggest that the problem is in the source code. But the source code created by Sigil states <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>. This should be enough for the Sony reader in order to show the text faultlessly. Or am I overlooking something?

Thanks!
See this question in the FAQ. It's ADE's fault.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:03 AM   #3
paulpeer
Zealot
paulpeer is on a distinguished road

Device: iPhone, Sony PRS-505, EPUBreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
See this question in the FAQ. It's ADE's fault.
Thanks Valloric, this answers my problem!
paulpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
ogurcan
ogurcan began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
I am having the same problem but I was unable to open the link related to the solution! Can anyone help me?
ogurcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogurcan View Post
I am having the same problem but I was unable to open the link related to the solution! Can anyone help me?
That post was in 2009

Sigil moved (to where you got it). That FAQ is probably there (at the new home)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:42 AM   #6
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
The short answer is that the default fonts of your Sony Reader apparently don't support these accented characters; you'll need to embed a font that does, for example, Charis SIL.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
utf-8