Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-03-2009, 12:22 PM   #1
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Favorite Covers

Is there any book that you particularly love the cover of? Post 'em here.
I'm partial to the covers on these Raymond Chandler reprints.

BenG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:35 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
wow, those are brilliant ! so very kitsch, and yet stylie. thanks for sharing them. especially since amongst them is a chandler book i don't think i've ever heard of, "pickup on noon street", i thought i had read them all ! i'll have to look into that (it's possible i read it in french and i just don't recognise the title, i guess).

here are a couple of covers i just saw recently that caught my eye. i'm a big fan of good covers, so i can probably come up with a few more later on.

zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:10 PM   #3
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
wow, those are brilliant ! so very kitsch, and yet stylie. thanks for sharing them. especially since amongst them is a chandler book i don't think i've ever heard of, "pickup on noon street", i thought i had read them all ! i'll have to look into that (it's possible i read it in french and i just don't recognise the title, i guess).
Those covers are great.
I don't have Pickup on Noon Street but I suspect it may be a collection of shorter works.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:44 PM   #4
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
I'm partial to the Katharine Kerr's Deverry Series covers. I also like almost all of Michael Whelen's cover art.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:15 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Those covers are great.
I don't have Pickup on Noon Street but I suspect it may be a collection of shorter works.
ah, that would explain it.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:16 PM   #6
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
By golly, Ben! When I saw the title of this thread, the first thing I thought of was those Raymond Chandler covers from the 70s.

Yes, Pickup on Noon Street is a collection of short stories he wrote, as I recall all of which before he wrote The Big Sleep.

I had the entire collection except one. The Long Goodbye had its cover replaced by one featuring Elliott Gould from the movie (then current, 1974 as I recall). I would have preferred the cover that went with the rest of the series, but it was not available.

PS - Thinking back on it, I think the series artwork was from 1973.

Last edited by GA Russell; 11-04-2009 at 12:52 AM.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:29 PM   #7
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
You should be on some kind of sales commission, Ben: Those covers reminded me how much I used to like Chandler's work and I've just bought half a dozen of his novels for a re-read. Thanks. Neil (who's pretty tall -- but he didn't mean to be)
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:50 AM   #8
BenG
Home Guard

Tom Adams is the artist for those covers. He also did some Agatha Christie covers in the 70s.

Some more Chandler covers (including The Long Goodbye) and more about the artist can be found here:
http://www.thewaterworks.ca/?p=66
Old 11-04-2009, 11:29 AM   #9
BenG
Home Guard

Another cover I like, Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:22 PM   #10
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Tom Adams is the artist for those covers. He also did some Agatha Christie covers in the 70s.

Some more Chandler covers (including The Long Goodbye) and more about the artist can be found here:
http://www.thewaterworks.ca/?p=66
Thanks for that link, Ben! I see that it says that the covers were from 1971. I'm pretty sure that the Gould movie came out in the fall of '73 or the winter of '74, so the Tom Adams series was still in print then.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:15 PM   #11
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
The French sci-fi collection Ailleurs et demain (elsewhere and tomorrow) has great covers, depending on the period.
You can check one style I like here, and have a look at some of their cool metal-like covers on the front page of their website.
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:24 AM   #12
BenG
Home Guard

Some more of my favorite covers. I still have these Lovecraft paperbacks from the 70s.

Image too large - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-30-2011 at 04:51 AM.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:39 AM   #13
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I'd love to have this cover as a poster.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:26 AM   #14
BenG
Home Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I'd love to have this cover as a poster.
That would look great hanging on the wall.
I don't think I'd want my Lovecraft covers on my wall.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:33 AM   #15
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Those Lovecraft covers may be the very reason why I didn't read Lovecraft when I was younger. While I love science and speculative fiction, I'm not much for mutilation and gore. To me, "Horror" is not well-defined and when it involves gruesome torture, then I give it a pass. Unfortunately, it's not always easy to know what the story contains simply by the cover.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote