Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-10-2009, 02:13 PM   #1
vivekmreddy
vivekmreddy began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505
Killing myself over the descision!!

Hey guys, i have been a long time browser here, but just decided to post. I had a prs 505 for a while and then sold it when the dx was announced. Well I have a borders coupon to get the prs for 200 and have one reserved for me at the store. This is quite the dilemma, purely because the dx is now 350 more than the sony (after everything included). Honestly, it was questionably worth 250 more, but 350 is a rough choice. Anyone feel like convincing me either way? I do read PDF's frequently, the PRS is readable, just small. Its more a convenience thing than necessity for the dx.
vivekmreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:16 PM   #2
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Personally when reading, text size makes a LOT of difference. I found getting the DR 1000s worth it; having not seen a Kindle Dx, I have to imagine that would worth an extra $100 over the Sony for 4 more inches of "screen estate."
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:23 PM   #3
vivekmreddy

the DX with the old sony price (300) was 250 dollars more. I can get it new for 200 now, which puts the dx at 350 dollars more than the sony. Basically its $200 PRS 505 vs. $550 for the DX. This includes the cover for the dx. Quite a price difference
Old 06-10-2009, 02:24 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
[QUOTE=vivekmreddy;486569]

Welcome to MobileRead, vivekmreddy.

I'm sure you'll find lots of friendly opinions.

Have you downloaded any of the free books available here?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:45 PM   #5
vivekmreddy

[QUOTE=desertgrandma;486598]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekmreddy View Post

Welcome to MobileRead, vivekmreddy.

I'm sure you'll find lots of friendly opinions.

Have you downloaded any of the free books available here?
I have actually. Thanks!
Old 06-10-2009, 03:05 PM   #6
vivekmreddy

well imma have to go with the 505.... the lack of table of contents support in pdf for the dx is stupid considering its trying to market text books.... Oh well
Old 06-10-2009, 03:10 PM   #7
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
I had a pre-order ready to go for the Kindle DX, it would have arrived on June 12th. But I was feeling "retail guilt" over paying full mark-up. And then I saw the Border's deal on the 505 yesterday, and I just couldn't justify the price difference ($200 plus tax for the 505 vs. $500 for the DX).

I bought a 505 at Border's last night and canceled the DX preorder. Like you, I'd prefer something that can read pdf's natively at nearly full size, but Amazon is pricing this at such a premium, and it's a price point that I doubt they are going to be able to sustain to the end of the year, facing looming competition from Sony, Heart, Plastic Logic, Apple, Astak, and others in the 9.7" e-reader space.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:31 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The PRS-505 and the Kindle DX are totally different "beasts". Which do you want? A portable device which you can take with you everywhere, and which is great for reading novels on, or a much larger and less portable screen on which to read more complex layouts?

I have both a CyBook Gen3 (6" screen, the same as the Sony PRS-505) and an iRex DR1000 (10" screen). I would not want to be without either, but they in no way whatsoever "compete" - they are completely different, and complimentary, devices.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:32 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The PRS-505 and the Kindle DX are totally different "beasts". Which do you want? A portable device which you can take with you everywhere, and which is great for reading novels on, or a much larger and less portable screen on which to read more complex layouts?

I have both a CyBook Gen3 (6" screen, the same as the Sony PRS-505) and an iRex DR1000 (10" screen). I would not want to be without either, but they in no way whatsoever "compete" - they are completely different, and complimentary, devices.
I agree with this.

The first question you should ask yourself: do you read mainly novels, or mainly textbook kind of books? The next should be: where do you read mostly, in bed, on the road (aka, bus, train, boat, plain, never read while sitting behind the wheel yourself!)?

For me, a big screen wouldn't be useful at all, as I generally read novels, and mostly whenever I'm able to do so (while waiting for my ride, on the breakfast table, in bed, on the couch, etc...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:31 AM   #10
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
What kind of pdf files do you read? if its just text you could probably convert it to a "better" ebook format.

The 505 "can" read pdf files just fine but the whole reflow thing doesnt always work right.
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:31 AM   #11
vivekmreddy

I read a lot of PDF books. Split between textbooks and novels. If the DX had not come out, I wouldn't have sold my PRS. But while I can read on the DX easier, I need to be able to navigate through my books. The lack of table of contents support is an easy deal breaker. Also while they may be different beasts, money is universal. The PRS can do what I need it to do (read pdf), though not as comfortably as I would want, navigate through better, and is 1/3 the cost.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:59 PM   #12
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekmreddy View Post
well imma have to go with the 505.... the lack of table of contents support in pdf for the dx is stupid considering its trying to market text books.... Oh well
Seems like a good decision to me. The DX is nice in the it has more "screen estate" but I for one like the portability of the PRS-505. I wish I had gotten mine for $200.

Good luck with your decision...
RA
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:17 PM   #13
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
I've found the 505 to be surprisingly good with PDF's. Although though you have to zoom to read comfortably with bigger page layouts, the reflow works pretty well. In the end, the PDF support was what I wanted a DX for, and it's very good for the size of the 505.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote