Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-28-2017, 09:40 AM   #241
Deintricator
wandering monk
Deintricator began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Kobo H2O
ereader destroyed

Ereader destroyed after trying experiment 2.

I first installed the 2016 version, didnt work. So O uninstalled. (uninstall was successful after restart, an uninstalled cfg file was created). Then I tried ex 2 which worked after some restarts. Two days later, I was turning off the reader after copying three images into the folder. It seemed like I turned off the reader in the middle of what it was doing(loading a screensaver). And now the half loaded screensaver, glitchy looking covers top 70% of my screen permanently. How do I get rid of this? Is there some way to refresh the screen?

I restarted ten times. Nothing. Help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170328_185453.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	248.9 KB
ID:	160923  

Last edited by issybird; 12-23-2017 at 10:46 AM.
Deintricator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:20 PM   #242
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Well, sorry to tell you this, but...

That's a broken eInk glass substrate. There is no way to fix other than buy a new reader. This is a hardware fault that can not possibly be caused by software but is the result of application of an external force...

The sleeping cat is one of the sample images that comes with this mod, it's fully displayed [supposed to look like that, sitting in one screen corner, not scaled to full screen size for HD readers] so assuming the mod was installed and working correctly, something broke your display while the device was in sleep mode and the cat just happened to get stuck in the broken part.

I only mention this in case it helps you narrow down the time of incident / possible culprits (maybe a real life cat?)

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/at...1&d=1490720327
https://openclipart.org/detail/233801/sleeping-kitty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sample-sleepcat.png
Views:	398
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	155850  

Last edited by frostschutz; 03-28-2017 at 07:57 PM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:34 AM   #243
Deintricator
wandering monk
Deintricator began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Kobo H2O
Ah. I see. Thanks, atleast I know.

It might be a real cat.
Deintricator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:03 AM   #244
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by alonemrinal View Post
Can anyone confirm if this is working on Kobo Glo with 4.3.8945 running. I tried and it didn't work.
didn't work too
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:00 PM   #245
lhommealenvers
lhommealenvers began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deintricator View Post
Ereader destroyed after trying experiment 2.

I first installed the 2016 version, didnt work. So O uninstalled. (uninstall was successful after restart, an uninstalled cfg file was created). Then I tried ex 2 which worked after some restarts. Two days later, I was turning off the reader after copying three images into the folder. It seemed like I turned off the reader in the middle of what it was doing(loading a screensaver). And now the half loaded screensaver, glitchy looking covers top 70% of my screen permanently. How do I get rid of this? Is there some way to refresh the screen?

I restarted ten times. Nothing. Help.
One thing you did not say is whether you tried a hard reset (using a pin and pushing the tiny button inside). I'm pretty sure it should revert your Kobo back to a fresh state.
lhommealenvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 08:13 AM   #246
alonemrinal
alonemrinal began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
didn't work too
Oh... May be we need to wait for someone to patch it.
alonemrinal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:32 PM   #247
Anoril
Anoril began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O / CyBook Gen3
Hello there!
I'm new to the forum but I read it to customize my own Kobo H2O. I installed Ex2 and I ended with the folders and images. BUT fbset.txt is:
Quote:
mode "1080x1440-0"
# D: 0.010 MHz, H: 0.007 kHz, V: 0.005 Hz
geometry 1080 1440 1088 1536 32
timings 96000000 24 267 4 5 24 2
accel false
rgba 8/16,8/8,8/0,8/24
endmode
And no scanline were inserted in setting file, even after 3-4 reboot and many-many sleep modes. I always have the bottom-left text saying either "sleeping" or "power off"...

Note: FW is 4.3.8966 and language is French

Thanks for your work (even if it seems out for me )
Anoril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 01:28 PM   #248
kobayashi
Groupie
kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
4.2.8432 was released in 2017, the thing in the first post dates back to 20160918... I can't predict the future. I haven't updated the first post yet because the experiment is not the best solution and I'm still hoping to find a fix that also works for the KA1...
What is supposed to happen when you do the "uninstall=1" command? The screensaver still doesn't work on the KA1 and when I try the uninstall before loading a new firmware, I don't see any changes being made. Wondering if this might point to whatever the problem is.
kobayashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:55 PM   #249
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It should uninstall and rename the cfg to uninstalled-date.

It's possible this is only checked when you reboot the device.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:17 PM   #250
kobayashi
Groupie
kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: KA1
Quote:
It should uninstall and rename the cfg to uninstalled-date.

It's possible this is only checked when you reboot the device.
My KA1 uninstalls correctly then. Was hoping that might point to what the issue was.
kobayashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:54 AM   #251
Katja_hbg
Groupie
Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo Glo HD (landscape), Kobo Aura One
@frostschutz
Only to let you know that there is at least one user in the world who still is interested that your code is working for the KA1 new software version.
My KA1 is without cover in an open shelf and looks good as it is showing a random screen.
Upto now the software updates do no beat that nice piece of function from you. So I will patient wait and hope.
Katja_hbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:59 AM   #252
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Add me to the KA1 users who would welcome this patch on current firmware, though I have updated to 4.4x
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:07 PM   #253
frostschutz
Linux User

It still works on my H2O firmware 4.4.9298 (using screensaver experiment2 version which is linked to from the first post).

I don't have a KA1 to test with and no plans to buy one. Maybe there's a KA1 user somewhere who is comfortable with telnet and shellscripts and can help debug it directly on the device.

Or someone with a webcam [so I can see what's happening on screen] willing to give me remote access and press power buttons for me. But I've never done things this way before...
Old 05-21-2017, 03:12 PM   #254
james194zt
james194zt might easily be mistaken for a Texanjames194zt might easily be mistaken for a Texanjames194zt might easily be mistaken for a Texanjames194zt might easily be mistaken for a Texanjames194zt might easily be mistaken for a Texanjames194zt might easily be mistaken for a Texanjames194zt might easily be mistaken for a Texanjames194zt might easily be mistaken for a Texanjames194zt might easily be mistaken for a Texanjames194zt might easily be mistaken for a Texanjames194zt might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Voyage
Quote:
It still works on my H2O firmware 4.4.9298 (using screensaver experiment2 version which is linked to from the first post).

I don't have a KA1 to test with and no plans to buy one. Maybe there's a KA1 user somewhere who is comfortable with telnet and shellscripts and can help debug it directly on the device.

Or someone with a webcam [so I can see what's happening on screen] willing to give me remote access and press power buttons for me. But I've never done things this way before...
Hi,

I am new to the Kobo scene, love this device having come from a Kindle Voyage and miss my screensaver! I have a KA1 on 4.3.8966, more than happy and capable of running telnet and running shell scripts etc... if you want a guinea pig I am up for helping let me know what you needd.

Thanks

James
james194zt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:54 AM   #255
zoxor
zoxor began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
Not working?

Hi,

I've installed the exp2 mod on my Kobo H2O (gen1). It creates the fbset.txt file and a config file called "screensaver.example.cfg". Am I supposed to rename to config file?

I don't see the cat displayed when the device goes into sleep/power off. I also don't see the scanlines in the cfg files. Anything that I did wrong?

fbset.txt
Code:
mode "1080x1440-0"
	# D: 0.010 MHz, H: 0.007 kHz, V: 0.005 Hz
	geometry 1080 1440 1088 1536 32
	timings 96000000 24 267 4 5 24 2
	accel false
	rgba 8/16,8/8,8/0,8/24
endmode
screensaver.example.cfg
Code:
# ScreenSaver config

#
# uninstall (Default: 0)
#   Set to 1 if you want to uninstall ScreenSaver after the next run.
#
uninstall=0

#
# standby / poweroff (Default: unset)
#   Scanline offset and pattern to look for when standby/poweroff.
#   This will be detected automagically and appended below.
#
zoxor is offline   Reply With Quote