Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-17-2016, 02:19 PM   #16
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
Knock me down with a feather, I thought BN had exited the e-reader and tablet business already.
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 03:37 PM   #17
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Barry, try changing launchers. It made my Nook HD+ much more pleasant to use.
Which launcher do you use? I've always just used the standard launcher on all my tablets so I'm not really familiar with the others.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 04:10 PM   #18
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
Which launcher do you use? I've always just used the standard launcher on all my tablets so I'm not really familiar with the others.

Barry
I'd recommend the Google Now launcher, which is Google's preferred Android launcher (it's what your Nexus uses). I'm not sure it will work with the version of Android available on the old Nook tablet though.

I think I installed Apex launcher on mine. (I don't have it in front of me to check.)

Lots of people recommend Nova launcher.

Really, any of them are an improvement over the default interface in my opinion.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 04:40 PM   #19
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I'd recommend the Google Now launcher, which is Google's preferred Android launcher (it's what your Nexus uses). I'm not sure it will work with the version of Android available on the old Nook tablet though.
It won't. But there are AOSP or derivative (like CM) build chains for more recent versions of Android.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 06:43 PM   #20
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post

Barry
I've used Go (paid for) on the HD+ but just lately it has started to fall over on a regular basis so I've switched to Nova (also paid for) and that is excellent. The only drawback is that the version for the HD+ is an old version due to the Nook having a vintage version of Android. It works very well with no sign of any bugs but it just won't get updated. A bit like the HD+.
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:17 PM   #21
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
A better piece of hardware? I don't know. Comparable? Certainly.

For anyone not wanting to spend the 5 minutes it takes to put the Play store on the 7" Fire I'd say it's better, except many people I know who have a 7" Fire bought it because it's a cheap method to get additional use from their Amazon content and like that it's tied pretty seamlessly to The Zon.

Plus with the Kindle you get the benefit of not having to deal with Nook customer support if something goes wrong.
Yes, with the Fire, you are "ONE" with the Amazon Force.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 09:58 PM   #22
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Yes, with the Fire, you are "ONE" with the Amazon Force.
I consider it a positive as an Amazon Prime member. As a general android tablet? No. But for what it is designed for - consuming Amazon content, it's rather nice.

I did put the Google play store on to get an club reader, but other than that, I'm happy to stick to the Amazon interface.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:42 AM   #23
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
The HD and HD+ were very nice tablets, still are really although the Android version is long in the tooth now. I still have an HD+ although I haven't really used it for some time.
I love my Nook HD+: the superb hardware platform in combination with Cyanogenmod firmware made it amongst the best-value tablets.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 07:36 PM   #24
Dougahole
Dougahole began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
All Canadian readers beware. B&N do NOT service Canadian consumers. The Wi-Fi feature in the Nook is only good if you reside in the US. If you are located in Canada and you try to do ANYTHING it is a lost cause. You can ONLY access B&N and if you do not have a US address you can not purchase anything. Further, you can not access any other site
Dougahole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:06 PM   #25
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
https://www.cnet.com/news/barnes-and...tablets-adups/

Quote:
The $50 Nook 7 tablet went on sale with a program that quietly sends user data back to a third party. The company says the issue has been addressed.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:15 AM   #26
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Here's a detailed look at the issue.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/...s-barnes-noble

More critically, it goes beyond the one malware package and implicates the chipset source. Specifically, MediaTek.

Given how common MediaTek is in low-cost Android hardware, their complicity is a red flag to consider. And avoid, if you're paranoid enough.

("Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.")

Edit:

Quote:

Even though Mediatek has a bad reputation for security, they still get a lot of design wins because they do all the heavy lifting for ODM partners that select their reference platforms. If you want to launch an Android device fast and not spend a lot of money, then Mediatek is often a viable solution.
https://hackernoon.com/no-one-cares-...6ad#.656je2quk

Last edited by fjtorres; 12-27-2016 at 09:22 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:31 PM   #27
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Starting to look like another fine myth:

http://the-digital-reader.com/2017/0...ndroid-tablet/

Quote:
Now, less than 2 months after it was launched, the $50 Nook Android tablet has been pulled from store shelves and is no longer available on the b&N website.

According to a leaked screenshot, the tablets are being shipped to George Wajda, the B&N director of distribution. The recall was leaked on Reddit by an alleged B&N store employee who wrote that:

early this week we received a project to remove every device from stores. It was very important that they be shipped out quickly, demo devices and all. There was no explanation given and so far this week the signs are still up in the windows, but there has been radio silence and no further instruction other than get them boxed, get tracking numbers, and ship them out. There's no script for customers, and no recall I can find publicly.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:42 AM   #28
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
a search on Google news for Nook tablet recall turns up various sites saying that the recall has to do with a faulty charger
here's one such article:
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/19...ng-adapter.htm
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 03:33 PM   #29
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Zdnet's take:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/barnes-...aulty-charger/

Apparently the adapters physically fall apart.

Quote:

While speculation was that B&N was unable to rid the Nook of the ADUPS spyware satisfactorily, the company told the Android Police website that it pulled the tablet from sale for an unrelated reason. It claims that three incidents of the casing of the Nook's charging adapter breaking led to the halting of retail sales. No injuries were reported, but Barnes & Noble says that existing owners can charge the Nook via a computer instead and that the company is sourcing a replacement AC adapter.
I've seen my share of cheap generic USB chargers stop working after a while.
Never saw one physically break apart.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:44 PM   #30
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I think it's becoming obvious that B&N sees it as it's mission in life to entertain us in a slapstick sort of way. Good for them. It's nice to see a corporation whose goal isn't just to make money.

Unfortunately I never really enjoyed slapstick all that much but many do.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote