Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-07-2009, 07:52 AM   #1
etherspin
Connoisseur
etherspin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.etherspin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.etherspin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
previews of cybook/mobipocket rendering

Hi all, I aim to purchase a gen 3 shortly and am excited about the possibilities, im wondering if there is a web portal or some way to preview how for example, an RSS feed or pdf would render on the cybook, i've used one briefly in shops but am a bit curious particularly about RSS capabilities (does mobi pocket fetch the stories linked in an RSS feed for offline reading, does it have any pictures in these etc...)

id love to see how an RSS feed from a commercial magazine like say scientific american would show up ...

getting psyched
etherspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:58 PM   #2
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 [512mb, FW: 1.5]
As far as I know mobipoket does only fetch the feed itself, not the stories behind it. You will have to use a workaround for that - I think Calibre is able to do that and will get Cybook-support soon by the looks of it
Pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:51 PM   #3
etherspin
Connoisseur
etherspin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.etherspin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.etherspin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

sounds like a bit of a tease if it doesnt even grab a text version of the story !!!
Old 01-08-2009, 06:33 AM   #4
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

Download Mobipocket Reader from the Mobipocket site (I’s free) and install it.

It does the grabbing of the RSS feeds, so you can test it and see if the results suit you.

Best,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:43 AM   #5
etherspin
Connoisseur

thanks DD, i got it but it loads them up at the computers screen size and when i click on an article title it loads the full html story with pictures (i.e. it loads the story just as a browser does..)
Old 01-09-2009, 07:51 AM   #6
etherspin
Connoisseur

I am really really hoping for a reply as this will make or break my potential purchase of the cybook ... I fired up calibre and got news/feeds from time magazine and from scientific american, they seemed to have a selection of complete stories and small pictures with articles when calibre exported them as Epub files, as calibre currently doesnt seem to export these to a cybook format (no Epub from bookeen yet or confirmed as coming ??), is there another method to get them onto a cybook looking like this ?? .. mobireader seems to just grab headlines as links to full stories (am i missing something... dont see the value of downloading headlines) and feedbooks seems to download what looks like almost plain text ?

im really sold on the form factor, feature set and contrast ratio of the cybook but need to figure out if it has the functionality im looking for , can anyone involved in calibre tell me why their feed support seems so much cooler and if it will apply in any future (plans for this ?) mobi format output ?

any info would be textual gold !!
Old 01-09-2009, 07:58 AM   #7
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by etherspin View Post
I fired up calibre and got news/feeds from time magazine and from scientific american, they seemed to have a selection of complete stories and small pictures with articles when calibre exported them as Epub files, as calibre currently doesnt seem to export these to a cybook format (no Epub from bookeen yet or confirmed as coming ??), is there another method to get them onto a cybook looking like this ?? ..
I'm working on Mobipocket generation support for Calibre, and should have it finished within the next few weeks. But of course the rendering is then dependent on the limitation of Mobipocket books and how the Cybook displays them, so I'm not terribly sure that helps you. But the content will be the same as what Calbire produces in EPUB form.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:00 AM   #8
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
The Cybook doesn't support Epub yet.
It's been mentioned by Bookeen as being planned, but we don't know when it will come.

Calibre currently doesn't support outputting to a format handled by the Cybook, but some people from the forum (llasram and user_none, I think) are actively working on including this support.
I strongly suspect that in the future, Calibre's feed support will be available for Cybook too.

EDIT : a bit too slow.
a correction on my text above :
- llasram (as he mentioned in the post above) is working on Mobipocket generation
- user_none is working on Cybook support for Calibre (device detection and so on)

Last edited by Gaurnim; 01-09-2009 at 08:02 AM.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:27 AM   #9
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
I am really really hoping for a reply as this will make or break my potential purchase of the cybook ... I fired up calibre and got news/feeds from time magazine and from scientific american, they seemed to have a selection of complete stories and small pictures with articles when calibre exported them as Epub files, as calibre currently doesnt seem to export these to a cybook format (no Epub from bookeen yet or confirmed as coming ??), is there another method to get them onto a cybook looking like this ?? .. mobireader seems to just grab headlines as links to full stories (am i missing something... dont see the value of downloading headlines) and feedbooks seems to download what looks like almost plain text ?
Why not test to output html from Calibre and just run mobigen or MobiPocket creator on it and see what happens?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:42 AM   #10
etherspin
Connoisseur

llasram you gave me exactly what i was looking for, if the mobi format provides some version/reproduction of the full story output seen in epub it will be more than enough to make me go cybook - congrats on your good work with the calibre team / other guy/s so far ... thanks

tompe, id love to give that a go - great idea, i just cant find html output in calibre yet !
Old 01-09-2009, 08:52 AM   #11
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
tompe, id love to give that a go - great idea, i just cant find html output in calibre yet !
Aha, it is missing. Output to ePub and unzip it?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:06 AM   #12
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Why not test to output html from Calibre and just run mobigen or MobiPocket creator on it and see what happens?
An ePub can be imported directly to MobiPocket Reader (or mobigen.exe), but it does not do a very good job (no TOC, no SVG, many other issues). It may be good enough until Calibre has an any2mobi capability (which will likely be much better than MobiPocket's import capability).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:28 PM   #13
etherspin
Connoisseur

all very helpful, i appreciate it , im gonna get the cybook and have donated to the wonderful project that is calibre !