Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-28-2014, 04:47 PM   #1
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Trouble Updating Calibre

I've been having a bit of trouble updating Calibre lately.

At some point in the install it gives me this message (and I get the smallest dialog box when I click OK):

I then have no choice but to click Cancel, at which point I get this message:

When Calibre launches, it does show it to be at the latest update, though. This started some (4 or 5; can't remember exactly) updates ago; no idea why this is happening. Any thoughts?
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:51 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Is this Win 8?
32 or 64 bit (the file name prompt makes me think 32bit)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:58 PM   #3
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Is this Win 8?
32 or 64 bit (the file name prompt makes me think 32bit)
My machine? It's Win 7 64-bit. Your question prompted me to check the update link (http://status.calibre-ebook.com/dist/win32), and I'm now wondering if I'm using the wrong install?
Old 06-28-2014, 05:22 PM   #4
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Is this Win 8?...
That's the first thought that occurred to me. I had a problem where the calibre update before the very last one was seeing my library as corrupt and was unable to reconstruct it. I rebooted windows and everything was fine. Win 8 does some weird things sometimes.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:41 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
My machine? It's Win 7 64-bit. Your question prompted me to check the update link (http://status.calibre-ebook.com/dist/win32), and I'm now wondering if I'm using the wrong install?
AFAIK You can use either install (or both) but if you tried to (force) install 'Portable' into Calibe programs folder, I am not sure what happens.
Note I said Force, I don't think you can install Portable (BTW 32bit only) in Programs without a BIG hammer

Use the control panel to uninstall Calibre (32) and Calibre-64

Delete any residue left in Program files and/or Program files (x86) (no calibre2 folder). The Library should NEVER have been in that path (default is in you Users/<username>
Old 06-28-2014, 07:22 PM   #6
Loosheesh
Wizard

Quote:
AFAIK You can use either install (or both) but if you tried to (force) install 'Portable' into Calibe programs folder, I am not sure what happens.
Note I said Force, I don't think you can install Portable (BTW 32bit only) in Programs without a BIG hammer

Use the control panel to uninstall Calibre (32) and Calibre-64

Delete any residue left in Program files and/or Program files (x86) (no calibre2 folder). The Library should NEVER have been in that path (default is in you Users/<username>
I've been updating the same way I've updated since I started using Calibre more than 3 years ago, so I'm reasonably certain I didn't 'force' anything. Anyway, I checked my Control Panel and, in Programs, I have 2 copies of Calibre; one dated 05/11/14 (the icon is blank) and the other with today's date. So you're saying to uninstall both of these? My library is nowhere near the Program files so I'm good there. However, what about my configuration settings? How will I get these back if I start from scratch? Also, which install package should I now use? I've always used the 32-bit (IIRC); so which one should I now use, the 32-bit or 64-bit?
Old 06-28-2014, 07:53 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I've been updating the same way I've updated since I started using Calibre more than 3 years ago, so I'm reasonably certain I didn't 'force' anything. Anyway, I checked my Control Panel and, in Programs, I have 2 copies of Calibre; one dated 05/11/14 (the icon is blank) and the other with today's date. So you're saying to uninstall both of these? My library is nowhere near the Program files so I'm good there. However, what about my configuration settings? How will I get these back if I start from scratch? Also, which install package should I now use? I've always used the 32-bit (IIRC); so which one should I now use, the 32-bit or 64-bit?
Your config and plugins are left behind (the whole configuration folder contents) on uninstall. The same folder is used by 32 and 64 bit

That empty icon is a clue that something is far in left field.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:43 PM   #8
Loosheesh
Wizard

Quote:
Your config and plugins are left behind (the whole configuration folder contents) on uninstall. The same folder is used by 32 and 64 bit

That empty icon is a clue that something is far in left field.
I followed your advice and I seem to be back to normal; of course, I won't know for sure until the next update comes along.

Regarding the empty icon, I received the same message trying to uninstall it as I did trying to install the latest update. I eventually had to download the 'calibre-1.36.0' file it kept insisting on. After that, it uninstalled with no problems. Weird.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:19 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I followed your advice and I seem to be back to normal; of course, I won't know for sure until the next update comes along.

Regarding the empty icon, I received the same message trying to uninstall it as I did trying to install the latest update. I eventually had to download the 'calibre-1.36.0' file it kept insisting on. After that, it uninstalled with no problems. Weird.
Its Windoze
Use it long enough and you just get used to things like this.

I have been updating Calibe (on multiple OS) since 2010 and have had very few burps of the nasty (the ones where you lose settings) kind.

Any time I damaged the Library, the finger correctly pointed to... ME
Backups are still advised
Old 06-29-2014, 08:19 AM   #10
Loosheesh
Wizard

Quote:
Its Windoze
Use it long enough and you just get used to things like this.

I have been updating Calibe (on multiple OS) since 2010 and have had very few burps of the nasty (the ones where you lose settings) kind.

Any time I damaged the Library, the finger correctly pointed to... ME
Backups are still advised
Never had anything really bad happen to my library (*quickly knocks on wood*) and I'm very serious about back up.

Thanks for the help