Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-06-2014, 06:27 AM   #1
fruit12
fruit12 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs t1
Hangs when starting- please help

This is my first post. I am sorry for a long post. But I am really stuck and need help.

My Reader is not rooted. Current firmware is 1.0.05.11130
Since today I started getting very slow response. The spinning arrows appeared frequently followed by messages:
"Sorry - The application Reader has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.
Force Close". After I press try again or force close button, next screen would appear. My next action again gave same response as above.

I tried soft and hard resets without any improvement.

Then I tried factory reset using NEXT and BACK buttons. This was also a slow process and I got spinning arrows in between.

After doing factory reset my reader does not go to home screen. The initial screen of "Starting Reader" appears followed by the spinning arrows that displayed endlessly.

Can anybody explain to me if there is any way to resolve this issue? My reader is now unusable.

Thanks.
fruit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:53 AM   #2
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
First thing first, make sure it is fully charged! Use the plug into the wall, NOT the usb into the computer. Computers go to sleep and then start drawing the power from the unit.

So, 12 hours plugged into the wall, making sure it is the Sony compatible converter that will charge it, not one from another device. Some reason, other converters don't work.

Let us know after the full 12 charge.

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:45 PM   #3
fruit12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
First thing first, make sure it is fully charged! Use the plug into the wall, NOT the usb into the computer. Computers go to sleep and then start drawing the power from the unit.

So, 12 hours plugged into the wall, making sure it is the Sony compatible converter that will charge it, not one from another device. Some reason, other converters don't work.

Let us know after the full 12 charge.

AJ
Thanks for your reply.

I charged from wall charger with sony usb cable.
The red light next to power on button was on.
After about an hour the red light switched off.
The spinning arrows were moving all the time.

I kept the charger on. The red light was off.
After few minutes I pressed reset button with a pin.
Reader restarted and hung with spinning wheel as before.
The red light switched on.
The red light switched off after less than 5 minutes.

I repeated this process few times. Charging red light remained on for less than 5 minutes every time and then switched off.

I guess red light switching off means fully charged battery.

If I remove the charging cable and press reset button the arrows stop spinning but are still visible. This is the only way I can freeze the screen.

Can anybody guide me for the solution to my problem?
Old 03-07-2014, 11:07 AM   #4
luvduchovny
Zealot
luvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
So you have a micro sd card in the device? Try taking that out. Then try restarting the device. I had that issue in the past and while I couldn't locate the exact epub I was certain there was a bad book hanging up the device.

Or try a Hard Reset:
Sony's Hard Reset for PRS-T1
luvduchovny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:40 PM   #5
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
Make sure it is fully charged.. leave it on charge overnight.. remove sd card if inserted.. ifthen do a soft reset (paperclip) and or a power recycle .. rinse and repeat good luck
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:17 PM   #6
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Just mentioning this in case as you have not said that you did it this way, and it seems it is a common omission (even though it is set out in the manual).

The "paperclip" reset is a TWO step process. First push the reset button with the "paperclip", release it, then push the power on button. Just pushing the reset button and not then pushing the power on button immediately afterwards does not reset the device.

If you did it the correct way, and have also done a multiple button press full reset, as set out for the T1 on Sony's web site support, then I cannot suggest anything else apart from perhaps trying deleting the book.db files on the device and card (the reader will rebuild the files itself).
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:09 PM   #7
fruit12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
Just mentioning this in case as you have not said that you did it this way, and it seems it is a common omission (even though it is set out in the manual).

The "paperclip" reset is a TWO step process. First push the reset button with the "paperclip", release it, then push the power on button. Just pushing the reset button and not then pushing the power on button immediately afterwards does not reset the device.

If you did it the correct way, and have also done a multiple button press full reset, as set out for the T1 on Sony's web site support, then I cannot suggest anything else apart from perhaps trying deleting the book.db files on the device and card (the reader will rebuild the files itself).
I think I did paperclip reset and factory reset(Using multiple buttons) properly.
I do not have a micro sd card.

Is there a way to delete files on the reader from PC?

Is there something equivalent to bootable cd for a PC under this situation?
Old 03-07-2014, 07:34 PM   #8
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruit12 View Post
Is there a way to delete files on the reader from PC?
Yes, connect the reader to the PC with the USB cable and select the Data Transfer Mode choice when it comes up on the reader (that is assuming your fault lets the reader advance to that). In Windows Explorer on the PC the reader will appear as two drives, READER and SETTING.

Search for the file books.db on the READER drive and delete it. The reader will then rebuild the file itself - you should not lose anything.

Not guaranteed to work at all but is always worth trying.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:01 PM   #9
fruit12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
Yes, connect the reader to the PC with the USB cable and select the Data Transfer Mode choice when it comes up on the reader (that is assuming your fault lets the reader advance to that). In Windows Explorer on the PC the reader will appear as two drives, READER and SETTING.

Search for the file books.db on the READER drive and delete it. The reader will then rebuild the file itself - you should not lose anything.

Not guaranteed to work at all but is always worth trying.
Thanks for your reply.
However I cannot reach to data transfer mode selection screen when connected to a PC. My reader hangs before that.

Is there any way to try to boot from microsd card?
Old 03-08-2014, 05:14 AM   #10
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST...ing_and_Tweaks might be your best bet, never rooted myself as I've read nothing but problems from people who have I don't think the T1 really has the specs for it.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:59 PM   #11
fruit12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST...ing_and_Tweaks might be your best bet, never rooted myself as I've read nothing but problems from people who have I don't think the T1 really has the specs for it.
There appear to be fixes specific to different firmwares. My last firmware update was 1.0.05.1130. Afterwards I did factory reset.

Does the firmware change when factory reset is done? If yes then what is the firmware to which it is set? ( I cannot know current firmware on my Reader as it hangs during start up)
Old 03-10-2014, 05:07 AM   #12
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruit12 View Post
There appear to be fixes specific to different firmwares. My last firmware update was 1.0.05.1130. Afterwards I did factory reset.

Does the firmware change when factory reset is done? If yes then what is the firmware to which it is set? ( I cannot know current firmware on my Reader as it hangs during start up)
Really I don't know enough to help you I just knew about that page and figured if there is a fix it's likely there somewhere, wish you luck figuring it out and maybe someone more knowledgeable on it than me will pop up.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:46 AM   #13
entodoays
Zealot
entodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1
I suspect you have a corrupted partition. Difficult to say which one.

You could use this procedure skipping steps 5 to 13.

I had a similar issue with mine and that procedure helped me.
entodoays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:36 AM   #14
fruit12

Thanks everybody for the suggestions.

The fix that worked for me is as follows:

Download file PRS-T1_SD_UPDATER_1.0.05.11130.exe from http://rghost.net/41929322

Instructions:
You will need a clean microsd card of at least 1GB.

0. unpack the archive to your microsd (in the root directory of the card should be OS Firmware)
1. press the button on the reader rezet
2. charging charging from the network until the red light goes off
3. insert the card microsd
4. pinch the Home button and Options (middle and right buttons)
5. press the power button without releasing the button held down
5. waiting for the inscription "Opening book" and the moment when the thermometer starts to run, and only then release the button
6. then should be lines on the screen, then the inscription "Updating", then blink again and the inscription "Updating", then reboot norms. mode
7. removing the card microsd

I found this on another forum. It worked for me.
Old 03-11-2020, 01:27 AM   #15
gandalfthewite
gandalfthewite began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Do you still have that file? I have an updater file of that version number but not the SD version. Since the reader won't boot all the way it won't detect as a drive (eg you don't have the option to select it to show up as a drive) and so the exe won't work for the regular updater.

I have looked everywhere online for this particular file, so this is a last desperate attempt that perhaps someone has it.
gandalfthewite is offline   Reply With Quote