Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-20-2012, 07:30 AM   #46
Villordsutch
Tubby Viking
Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle4
DVDCatalyst seems lovely and currently there is an discounted offer on. My question is however what is the file size (aprx) for the if I rip a DVD around and hour and twenty mins?

I understand why DC have given 25 mins, but I'd like to know if it comes out around a gig for a film length as stated above.
Villordsutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:40 AM   #47
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villordsutch View Post
DVDCatalyst seems lovely and currently there is an discounted offer on. My question is however what is the file size (aprx) for the if I rip a DVD around and hour and twenty mins?

I understand why DC have given 25 mins, but I'd like to know if it comes out around a gig for a film length as stated above.
I hope I'm not giving away any marketing secrets, but as is the case with many of these products, that discount is ALWAYS available.

On the file size, it's totally configurable. You can choose compression methods and bitrates for both audio and video and create (or select) a preset that gives you the file-size/quality balance you want.

For myself, I usually pick settings that make a typical feature film to come out between 500-700MB.
I end up with a file small enough to carry several on my portable devices, and clear enough to watch on my 32" TV. Not HD quality, but anything better than VHS quality is adequate for my purposes.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #48
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Handbrake is free. Open Source, in fact. But I don't like it, personally.
I prefer it over the myriad of commercial offerings that are nothing more than graphical wrappers around ffmpeg and libavcodec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
For myself, I usually pick settings that make a typical feature film to come out between 500-700MB.
I end up with a file small enough to carry several on my portable devices, and clear enough to watch on my 32" TV. Not HD quality, but anything better than VHS quality is adequate for my purposes.
That's perhaps one of the biggest mistakes made when encoding videos. Unless a video file will be played on a large screen, there is no need to use bitrates and resolutions that result in 2GB+ files.

I typically have 2-3 digital copies of some of my DVDs depending upon the device they'll be played on. Works out pretty well.

Last edited by WillysJeepMan; 11-20-2012 at 10:29 AM.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:29 AM   #49
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
DVD FAB has a free version
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #50
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
I downloaded software from the handbrake page, but it was a trial and was not free. I've already uninstalled and cannot remember the name. I checked the price before doing anything with it. $50. So I uninstalled and didn't bother to use with watermark. This was from a link posted in this thread.

I just did a search for handbrake and downloaded another one, but the set-up file won't open.

Many of the software sites are misleading, saying free and not giving prices before I find out it's a trial.

I have purchased a number of other converting software packages that I no longer use, including imtoo for avi to dvd. I also have an old version of Nero, but it does not convert formats. If I have to pay $40-50, then I don't really need to watch my dvd movies on my KFHD or ipad.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #51
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewis78 View Post
I downloaded software from the handbrake page, but it was a trial and was not free. I've already uninstalled and cannot remember the name. I checked the price before doing anything with it. $50. So I uninstalled and didn't bother to use with watermark. This was from a link posted in this thread.

I just did a search for handbrake and downloaded another one, but the set-up file won't open.

Many of the software sites are misleading, saying free and not giving prices before I find out it's a trial.

I have purchased a number of other converting software packages that I no longer use, including imtoo for avi to dvd. I also have an old version of Nero, but it does not convert formats. If I have to pay $40-50, then I don't really need to watch my dvd movies on my KFHD or ipad.
You might have some redirection malware or something going on with your system. http://handbrake.fr/ is the official page and it is absolutely free. The full version, no trial version.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:47 PM   #52
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
Yes, my Kaspersky protection is keeping it from opening. It says it has adware on it.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:00 PM   #53
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewis78 View Post
Yes, my Kaspersky protection is keeping it from opening. It says it has adware on it.
If you downloaded it from anywhere other than the official site, it very well might have ad-ware or worse. Many sites that show up high in a web search and 'appear' to be official offer 'fake' versions of popular software as a means to distribute malware.

Be careful. Know where you are downloading from.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:12 AM   #54
Janet16
Enthusiast
Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
+ DVD fab
it do nice works, but recently I got a dvd ripper from iFunia, as it's on discount for this Thanksgiving holiday.
Janet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:37 AM   #55
peter12345
Connoisseur
peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 * K3 with 3G, Sony PRS-T1
If you have a lot of dvd's and want to do it in the fastest way to create the most efficient results. I would use dvdfab with core AVC, using Nvidia card acceleration called CUDA. But use CUDA through core AVC settings not CUDA directly as it would overheat your CPU. Output to MP4 or MKV depending on Moi.
peter12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #56
Villordsutch
Tubby Viking
Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle4
I can't seem to get Handbrake right.

Normal 1hr and 30min DVDs are coming out of 2gb bordering on 3gb

Can anyone please share their settings so I can get this hit on the head? I'd like to get it sorted by tomorrow morning tbh as I'm planning on ripping 3 or 4 DVDs to drop a movie on their KindleFireHDs and pack them away.

Villordsutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:06 PM   #57
WillysJeepMan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villordsutch View Post
I can't seem to get Handbrake right.

Normal 1hr and 30min DVDs are coming out of 2gb bordering on 3gb

Can anyone please share their settings so I can get this hit on the head? I'd like to get it sorted by tomorrow morning tbh as I'm planning on ripping 3 or 4 DVDs to drop a movie on their KindleFireHDs and pack them away.

I use the iPhone preset in handbrake. A 90 minute movie weighs in at about 600mb. If you don't mind a slightly softer image, the iPod touch preset creates files that are about 400mb in size.

Last edited by WillysJeepMan; 11-26-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:19 AM   #58
floatpave
floatpave began at the beginning.

Device: none
+ Handbrake, it seems that it has presets for Kindle Fire.
However, one thing please note, handbrake cant rip copy-protected DVDs.
Regards
Pave
floatpave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:32 PM   #59
WillysJeepMan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatpave View Post
However, one thing please note, handbrake cant rip copy-protected DVDs.
Regards
Pave
The OSX version of Handbrake does. For Windows systems one would need a utility to copy the .VOB files from the DVD to the harddrive... from there, the Windows version of Handbrake can take over.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:25 PM   #60
jswinden
Nameless Being

I use the Handbrake Regular--Normal setting and I get really nice videos in the 1 GB to 1.5 GB size range.