Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-31-2012, 11:37 PM   #1
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
Has anyone tried to port K4 or K5 firmware to K3?

I'm most interested in KF8 support.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:41 PM   #2
Titano
Definitely not King Kong
Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by apastuszak View Post
I'm most interested in KF8 support.
To answer you question, no, no one has tried to port K4 or K5 fireware to the K3. To tell you the truth, I don't even think it's possible. They just have different hardware. If I'm wrong someone correct me, but I don't think this is possible.
Titano is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2012, 01:43 AM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
@apastuszak - If anyone has, I have not read the announcement here.
@Titano - I suspect you are correct for the entire firmware image, hardware is too different.

Like other brands of computer processors, ARM has gone through various versions.
The K4 and K5 use the version 7 ARM processor (which can execute version 6 ARM instructions).
The K3 uses the version 6 ARM processor. It can not handle the additions made by version 7 changes.

There are internal components that can be used, if they where built (or re-build) for the earlier version ARM processor and do not depend on hardware only available on the K4&k5 (like the graphics co-processor).
But that would be an exceptional case and not what the topic question asked.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:17 AM   #4
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
There is of course the discussion https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=174234 that you were party to.

In essence, as was said there, conversion may be the way forward.

I may do something stupid like attempt building a few 4 and 5 bits for a 3 one day but don't hold your breath.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Think "Calibre"... https://www.mobileread.com/forums/arc.../t-175820.html

cheers...
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote