Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 09-07-2008, 05:51 PM   #46
FangornUK
Addict
FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad, Kindle 3
Need 3 batteries to replace the ones in my almost two year old PRS-500s. Live in the UK so upgrades/service not possible and the battery life is not as good as it used to be. Noticed the following seller on EBay who is selling supposed compatible batteries for not much. Says he's in the UK but actually he's in Hong Kong which isn't a good start.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=270270545450
FangornUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:40 AM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
bump!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:07 PM   #48
FangornUK
Addict
FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I got the battery from the EBay seller, uk-powerking, he's still got loads for sale. Fitted the battery without problems (it is physically slightly smaller than the original), attached pic1 with it installed. So far no problems but I'll let you know how I get on with it over time. Once I know it is OK I'll update the other two PRS-500s we have.

Just some more information on opening the case. The side silver panels are the trickiest (without breaking them), I've attached pic2 to show them. The one without the SD slot will come off from the bottom, after removing the single screw on the back, lifting it from the bottom, it should then clip off with a bit of wiggling, be careful you don't bend it too much. The other panel is trickier, lift it slightly from the SD slot and you'll see the top part has a lip, pull a bit more from the middle while wiggling and it should come off. The bottom part also has a lip unlike the other side panel.

The battery itself is in a little metal compartment with two screws. Simply unscrew that and you can pull the battery's wire from the motherboard easily. The battery is stuck to the little compartment with sticky tape. Simply pull it out and put the new battery in with some double sided sticky tape. Plug it in. Put the unit back together, I think the black screws are all the same size. I put it all back together without any scratches.

Details on the replacement battery are as follows:
Model No: CS-PRD500SL
Part No: L1-756-769-11
8704A41918
LIS1382(J)
Capacity: 750mAh
Volts: 3.7V
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic1.jpg
Views:	1271
Size:	351.8 KB
ID:	16659   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic2.jpg
Views:	1005
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	16660  

Last edited by FangornUK; 09-29-2008 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:08 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So how is your replacement battery doing?
Old 10-08-2008, 05:24 AM   #50
FangornUK
Addict

No problems so far. Seems to work like the original battery did when it was new.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:43 PM   #51
jonbaber
jonbaber began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Hey FangornUK,

Just wanted to give you a big fat thank you for pointing out where to get replacement batteries! My original battery was never very good - at the moment it gets maybe 200 pages between charges. Anyway, I've now bought a replacement from ebay, installed it, and it seems to be working great.

Thanks again!
jonbaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:15 PM   #52
obender
obender began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by rene.delboux View Post
To Enter TEST MODE one should insert a memory stick with the following files:
autorun.xml,
icon.png,
key.png,
lut.bin
Hoe can I get those files? I couldn't find them anywhere. Any help is much appreciated.
obender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:25 PM   #53
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by FangornUK View Post
I got the battery from the EBay seller, uk-powerking, he's still got loads for sale. Fitted the battery without problems (it is physically slightly smaller than the original), attached pic1 with it installed. So far no problems but I'll let you know how I get on with it over time. Once I know it is OK I'll update the other two PRS-500s we have.

Just some more information on opening the case. The side silver panels are the trickiest (without breaking them), I've attached pic2 to show them. The one without the SD slot will come off from the bottom, after removing the single screw on the back, lifting it from the bottom, it should then clip off with a bit of wiggling, be careful you don't bend it too much. The other panel is trickier, lift it slightly from the SD slot and you'll see the top part has a lip, pull a bit more from the middle while wiggling and it should come off. The bottom part also has a lip unlike the other side panel.

The battery itself is in a little metal compartment with two screws. Simply unscrew that and you can pull the battery's wire from the motherboard easily. The battery is stuck to the little compartment with sticky tape. Simply pull it out and put the new battery in with some double sided sticky tape. Plug it in. Put the unit back together, I think the black screws are all the same size. I put it all back together without any scratches.

8704A41918
LIS1382(J)
Where did you get the replacement battery in Europe? Can't find it (I'm living in Germany).
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:29 PM   #54
taildragger-j3
Writer AND Reader
taildragger-j3 began at the beginning.

Here's where I got mine:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

They said they ship to Europe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_001.jpg
Views:	603
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	40952  

Last edited by taildragger-j3; 12-09-2009 at 05:39 PM.
taildragger-j3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:15 AM   #55
taildragger-j3
Writer AND Reader
taildragger-j3 began at the beginning.

I installed the new battery and so far it works GREAT! I think it may have more life than when the reader was new.
taildragger-j3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:49 PM   #56
htaylor
bookworm
htaylor began at the beginning.

Device: sony 500 and 505
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by FangornUK View Post

8704A41918
LIS1382(J)
This information on removal of the side pieces is important, I broke one of the lips, but it still went back together ok. I did not remove the battery compartment, just unstuck the doublesided tape. Unpluged it and put the new battery in. works fine. thanks everyone I like my 500 and my 505.
htaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:55 AM   #57
deanie
deanie began at the beginning.

Device: prs 500
Question charging / battery issue with prs 500

Hi there all.

ive just got a prs 500 , used, a few weeks ago and all well until i tried to charge it in the mains.

i plugged the USB lead into an AC adapter and plugged it into the wall.

if never came on again.

it is a used unit, so maybe the battery needs replacing,

do you know what to do next?

Many Thanks
Dean
deanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:59 AM   #58
deanie
deanie began at the beginning.

Device: prs 500
just a thought about the issue above -

if plugged into a PC via the USB post

the device should have power, even if the battery is damaged...

is this true?

so after testing the USB lead as working, the device has no power when it is directly connected to a PC.

could it be the charging circuit that is damaged?

also when i flick on the power switch, a little yellow/ orange lamp flashes for a second.

thanks..
D
deanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:04 PM   #59
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
PRS-500 weren't supposed to be charged by AC to USB... probably incorrect data info conditions on connector as a result leading to the usual battery drain to flat condition... There is a specific barrel connector hole in the base for connecting a PSU... normal is PSP 5V PSU, cheaper than standard Sony PSU and works... other choice is USB to barrel connector cable then plug that into PSU socket...

Your little yellow flash relates to an attempt to access the flash memory and, again, this is typical of a totally drained battery... especially that caused by connecting an incorrect unit to reader...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:32 PM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanie View Post
Hi there all.

ive just got a prs 500 , used, a few weeks ago and all well until i tried to charge it in the mains.

i plugged the USB lead into an AC adapter and plugged it into the wall.

if never came on again.

it is a used unit, so maybe the battery needs replacing,

do you know what to do next?

Many Thanks
Dean
Since your 500 is drained of power, it won't charge via USB. It just won't do it. You'll need to get a PSP compatible AC adapter that uses the barrel shaped connector. Then you can plug in your 500 and charge it.