Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-21-2019, 04:23 PM   #1
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
line spacing changes with embedded fonts

I'm experimenting with some "silly" display fonts to see how they work out. Some of the fonts add some space below the line where they are the first word or so of the line. Is there a viable way to deal with this or should I just punt and find a font that doesn't do that? The fonts were downloaded from google's fonts page, which are ttf and I converted them to otf with fontforge.

Here's an example of the start of a paragraph where it happens:

Code:
<p><span class="lemon">A.P.O. SAN FRANCISCO</span> — I heard about this
The css file has

Code:
@font-face {
    font-family: Lemon-Regular;
    font-weight: normal;
    font-style: normal;
    src:url(../Fonts/Lemon-Regular.otf);
}

.lemon {
    font-family: "Lemon-Regular", sans-serif;
}
(Lemon-Regular is ok, but others add the space.)
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:33 AM   #2
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
You could try to adjust the font metrics in your font editor. I have never used FontForge (it persisted in crashing until I gave up) but I have done this with display fonts using my simple freeware editor Type Light:
https://www.cr8software.net/typelight.html

Experiment with WinAscent and WinDescent and "ascender" and "descender" (in Typelight, the latter are on the Font Metrics Advanced tab). You must check to be sure that the entire glyph remains visible. Otherwise you might lose part of the tail on the "y", etc.

As I said, I've adjusted fancy fonts for headers, but for something to use in body text, you might not be able to decrease the descent enough to be helpful.

Good luck with it!
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 12:08 PM   #3
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
You could try to adjust the font metrics in your font editor. I have never used FontForge (it persisted in crashing until I gave up) but I have done this with display fonts using my simple freeware editor Type Light:
https://www.cr8software.net/typelight.html

Experiment with WinAscent and WinDescent and "ascender" and "descender" (in Typelight, the latter are on the Font Metrics Advanced tab). You must check to be sure that the entire glyph remains visible. Otherwise you might lose part of the tail on the "y", etc.

As I said, I've adjusted fancy fonts for headers, but for something to use in body text, you might not be able to decrease the descent enough to be helpful.

Good luck with it!
Ok, thanks.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote