Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-27-2010, 04:24 PM   #1
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Kindle 3 doesn't support WPA2? *EDIT* Yes, with instructions inside!

Just got my K3, and it won't connect to my hidden WPA2 network. Boo!

Last edited by WilliamG; 08-27-2010 at 04:37 PM.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:28 PM   #2
ZenRunner
Enthusiast
ZenRunner has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-300
I connected it to mine without any problem. I don't broadcast my SSID and use WPA2 security on my wireless network.
ZenRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 04:30 PM   #3
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Yes you are indeed correct! You have to make sure to go into the DEEP wifi settings. Entering in my wifi network SSID and the password didn't work. I had to do the following:

1.) Enter in the SSID
2.) Leave the password BLANK
3.) Hit Submit
4.) It will then say it can't find the network, but would I like to set it up manually.
5.) Hit YES, and then change the advanced menu to WPA2 and then enter your password.
6.) Hit Done

YAY!
Old 08-27-2010, 04:35 PM   #4
ZenRunner
Enthusiast
ZenRunner has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-300
No problem, enjoy your new Kindle.
ZenRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:44 PM   #5
haroldgh
Enthusiast
haroldgh began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
Sadly it does not support enterprise WPA2 (with a username and password), so I can't get wireless access at work. Not a huge deal, but kind of a bummer.
haroldgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 05:47 PM   #6
twister
Enthusiast
twister began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 and 2
It worked fine on mine. It saw the network, I clicked on it, it asked for password, and after I entered it, it connected. I have a Linksys E3000 router and I'm running WPA2 personal.
twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:10 PM   #7
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Thanks that is good to know. My WIFI at home has a hidden ssid
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:12 PM   #8
WilliamG
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister View Post
It worked fine on mine. It saw the network, I clicked on it, it asked for password, and after I entered it, it connected. I have a Linksys E3000 router and I'm running WPA2 personal.
Yes, because you could SEE the network. In my case, my SSID is hidden.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:30 PM   #9
haroldgh
Enthusiast

There's really no point in hiding the SSID, it doesn't provide any real security. Anyone capable of cracking WEP can easily find a hidden SSID and defeat MAC filtering. I used to hide mine too "just because", but the iPhone wouldn't pick it up and I no longer bother.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:33 PM   #10
WilliamG
Addict

And that's not true. When I'm out and about and wanting to quickly piggyback someone's wifi for a second, you're an easier target if you're not hidden. I understand very well that it doesn't protect you any better from people who REALLY want in to your network. HOWEVER, it does protect you from anyone wanting to quickly see if there's a network available when they're out and about on their phone/netbook etc.

So, I still recommend hiding SSIDs. Plus, it pisses me off seeing SO many damn SSIDs in my wifi list when trying to find just one.

Just sayin'...
Old 08-27-2010, 06:41 PM   #11
haroldgh
Enthusiast

Well obviously you should use WPA2 encryption as well. Nobody's saying you should just plain leave it open.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:48 PM   #12
WilliamG
Addict

Yes yes. But seriously, I like being hidden. Just because. It's certainly no WORSE to hide an SSID.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:49 PM   #13
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Does it list the MAC address somewhere? Because I have my home wifi filtered to permitted devices only, along with WPA2.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:51 PM   #14
WilliamG
Addict

Just checked for you. Yes it does! In the settings menu it specifically lists the wifi MAC address.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:52 PM   #15
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Awesome, thanks! Karma for you!!
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote