Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-29-2017, 09:54 PM   #1
gunnerasch
gunnerasch began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Problem with Calibre deleting files....

Ive built a rather nice library for myself using the marvelous Calibre (which I keep current with all updates) and have been adding books. I was up to around 134,000 various titles..many of which were job related (old mechanics books) and recently noticed that at some point when I added more books...some of my xx.epub files are gone...leaving only a file folder with a metadata.opf file in it..and the name of the book as a file folder name. What the dickens am I doing wrong? My book count is now down around 34,000 titles and when scrolling down the book directory from Calibre..it gives book and author..some commentary Ive made in the past but book size in megabytes is empty. When I go to that book location...I only find the meta-data.opf file..nothing else.

Some books are still there...but Im afraid they will be shuffled off somewhere before long...

Help!!!

Windows 7 Pro,
Quadcore, 4gigs memory
5 drives (2 are USB)
gunnerasch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:09 PM   #2
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You have format-less books. Click Formats in the Tag-Browser until it is a red minus sign. That will show you all of your books with no formats, just metadata. Empty books. Just because you find some books to add from "somewhere" does not mean that there is actually anything to read. You can easily delete any formatless books in order to avoid confusion. Verify your Add Books control preferences regarding the handling of duplicates and merging.

DaltonST
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 01:33 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Where is your library located? The symptoms you describe suggest it could be something like a NAS, or a cloud service such as Dropbox. Both of these can interfere with Calibre’s internal working. Also Google Drive can silently rename files/folders causing Calibre to lose track of books.

Have you tried running the Calibre Library Maintenance option? This can identify cases where you have books on disk that are not correctly registered in the Calibre database.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote