Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 06-06-2021, 01:05 PM   #1066
devil2trap
devil2trap began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The Output Profile conversion setting is used to determine how much to downsize images so that their resolution is no higher than the screen resolution of the device. This reduces file sizes, but these days e-readers have more storage available than in the past so that is no longer a very important consideration.

There is a downside to doing this in that it will prevent the use of the pinch-to-zoom function to magnify images to show more detail on the reading device.

The Paperwhite 3 output profile downsizes images to no more than 1072x1430 pixels. If you use that profile on a book contains a detailed map you will no longer be able to expand it see the fine detail. And even if you never zoom images, if you ever by a newer Kindle with a higher resolution screen you will need to reconvert your books to take advantage of it.

The Tablet profile essentially does no downsizing, leaving images at their original resolution. I recommend that for the highest quality results.
Thanks for your detailed explanation.
Also, can you help me with one more issue. I was getting following error while conversion:

calibre, version 5.20.0
ERROR: KFX conversion failed: <p><b>Cannot convert Way of the Turtle: The Secret Methods That Turned Ordinary People Into Legendary Traders</b><br><br><b>Conversion error:</b> SVG specified in the content is not renderable in Enhanced Typesetting.</p>

Can you help me how to correct this error.

But when i converted the same book(epub) to first azw3 and then to Kfx format, it didn't gave any error. Could you explain why?
devil2trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 08:44 PM   #1067
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by devil2trap View Post
Conversion error:</b> SVG specified in the content is not renderable in Enhanced Typesetting.
KFX has only limited support for images in SVG format. Some SVG images will be automatically converted to JPEG by the Kindle Previewer, but others cannot be converted and will cause the conversion to KFX to fail.

The normal solution is to edit the book and either remove or replace the problematic SVG images manually before conversion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil2trap View Post
But when i converted the same book(epub) to first azw3 and then to Kfx format, it didn't gave any error. Could you explain why?
Most likely it worked because the problem SVG image in that book is found on the cover page. Conversion to AZW3 removes the EPUB cover page and replaces it with a JPEG image, eliminating the problem. An SVG image any place else in the book would not have been affected by AZW3 conversion.

It is common for EPUBs to use a cover page with an SVG image that encapsulates a JPEG image in order to show it full screen without distortion. When done correctly the Kindle Previewer can handle that case. Your book probably has an incorrectly coded SVG wrapper.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2021, 08:33 AM   #1068
devil2trap
devil2trap began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Quote:
KFX has only limited support for images in SVG format. Some SVG images will be automatically converted to JPEG by the Kindle Previewer, but others cannot be converted and will cause the conversion to KFX to fail.

The normal solution is to edit the book and either remove or replace the problematic SVG images manually before conversion.

Most likely it worked because the problem SVG image in that book is found on the cover page. Conversion to AZW3 removes the EPUB cover page and replaces it with a JPEG image, eliminating the problem. An SVG image any place else in the book would not have been affected by AZW3 conversion.

It is common for EPUBs to use a cover page with an SVG image that encapsulates a JPEG image in order to show it full screen without distortion. When done correctly the Kindle Previewer can handle that case. Your book probably has an incorrectly coded SVG wrapper.
Thanks, man for explaining the issue and providing the solution.
devil2trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 09:16 PM   #1069
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Amazon has released Kindle Previewer version 3.54.0. It is compatible with the current version of this plugin.
Old 06-14-2021, 11:44 AM   #1070
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Version 1.53.0 - 14 Jun 2021

Detect Kindle Previewer versions up to 3.54. Version 3.53 restores YJImageLayoutEnhancer and restores support for page-break-after:avoid and page-break-before:avoid. Version 3.54 includes support for vertical tables in horizontal books and vice versa.

Issue a warning recommending that the Kindle Previewer be updated if the most recent version (as of the date of the plugin release) is not installed.

Change cover images to use JPEG/JFIF format as needed in order to support the Kindle cover lock screen feature. (This is rarely needed since most cover images are already in this format.)
Advert
Old 06-20-2021, 06:31 AM   #1071
betiksakla
betiksakla began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Hypothetically

Hello mobileread dudes (: This is my first message, so excuse me if i'm asking 'wrong' questions in wrong places(and also excuse my english).

If i do jhowell's instructions can i benefit from KFX's advantages. I mean, after changing pdf, epub etc. to KFX can i use Page Flip and especially x-ray(this could be another topic but i really need this , hypothetically.

And jhowell, can you explain

"Amazon Kindle Previewer 3 should be installed in the default location under the same user account as is being used to run calibre."

bit more please. I really don't understand.

I know you'll answer this question as quickly as possible so, thanks in advance.

(:
betiksakla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 06:53 AM   #1072
betiksakla
betiksakla began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
I Forgot to Add

Quote:
Originally Posted by betiksakla View Post
Hello mobileread dudes (: This is my first message, so excuse me if i'm asking 'wrong' questions in wrong places(and also excuse my english).

If i do jhowell's instructions can i benefit from KFX's advantages. I mean, after changing pdf, epub etc. to KFX can i use Page Flip and especially x-ray(this could be another topic but i really need this , hypothetically.

"Amazon Kindle Previewer 3 should be installed in the default location under the same user account as is being used to run calibre."

I know you'll answer this question as quickly as possible so, thanks in advance.

(:
I forgot to add,

I know x-ray is not related to kfx directly. But, there could be a possible 'contradiction' or something. And also, what is possible disatvantages changing another formats to kfx. Feel free to direct me another topic.

Thanks (:
betiksakla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 10:16 AM   #1073
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Install Amazon's Kindle Previewer 3. Install it while signed in to the same user account that you use to run calibre. If given a choice of installation location choose the default.

Quote:
I know x-ray is not related to kfx directly. But, there could be a possible 'contradiction' or something.
I do not understand this statement.

To use X-ray an X-ray file must be created that matches the format of the book, KFX in this case. One way to create these file is by using the WordDumb plugin.

Quote:
And also, what is possible disatvantages changing another formats to kfx. Feel free to direct me another topic.
The "Warnings and Limitations" section of the first post in this thread lists some potential disadvantages of using KFX format.
Old 07-01-2021, 07:41 AM   #1074
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Amazon has released Kindle Previewer version 3.55.0. It is compatible with the current version of this plugin.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:24 AM   #1075
jetrica
jetrica began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hello
Today I installed KFX output plugin 1.53 and Kindle previewer 3.52 for Windows 8.1. Using Calibre 5.20.

Conversion from EPUB works as expected (I can normally open and read book using Kindle Previewer) but once I send book via email, it is not shown in My Content. Not in Books nor in Docs.

I tried with "create personal document" checked, without it, with correct ASIN and without it, with both google, ASIN and ISBN tags... but nothing works. Can you give me some suggestion what should I try next?
Thanks in advance

Last edited by jetrica; 07-27-2021 at 10:25 AM. Reason: additional info
jetrica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:31 AM   #1076
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetrica View Post
Conversion from EPUB works as expected (I can normally open and read book using Kindle Previewer) but once I send book via email, it is not shown in My Content. Not in Books nor in Docs.
Amazon will not accept books in KFX format via email. They must be sideloaded. See the "Usage" section in the first post of this thread for instructions.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:36 AM   #1077
jetrica

Quote:
Amazon will not accept books in KFX format via email. They must be sideloaded. See the "Usage" section in the first post of this thread for instructions.
thanks for quick reply and sorry for, in fact, dumb question. I missed that RTFM part
So, no cloud backup for KFX.
I was hoping I can use this new "show cover" option by converting to KFX and sending via email.
Old 07-27-2021, 12:24 PM   #1078
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
thanks for quick reply and sorry for, in fact, dumb question. I missed that RTFM part
No problem.

Quote:
I was hoping I can use this new "show cover" option by converting to KFX and sending via email.
Show cover and email are mutually exclusive. Any book that is sent via email (in an acceptable format) is set to be a personal document when delivered to the Kindle by Amazon regardless of the metadata contained in the originally emailed file. The cover lock screen function does not work for personal documents.

The only way to get enhanced typesetting, cloud sync, and lock-screen covers to all work in the same book is to buy or borrow the book from Amazon.
Old 08-01-2021, 02:29 PM   #1079
jetrica

Quote:
No problem.

Show cover and email are mutually exclusive. Any book that is sent via email (in an acceptable format) is set to be a personal document when delivered to the Kindle by Amazon regardless of the metadata contained in the originally emailed file. The cover lock screen function does not work for personal documents.

The only way to get enhanced typesetting, cloud sync, and lock-screen covers to all work in the same book is to buy or borrow the book from Amazon.
Thanks for clarification. I guess I'll stick to mobi sent via email. I can still have covers in library view, and I can use syncing between mobile phone and Kindle. It's a shame about lockscreen cover though.
Old 08-02-2021, 04:56 PM   #1080
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It's more of a shame that you are using that awful obsolete Mobi format.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
kfx, linux, wine