Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-05-2021, 10:08 AM   #151
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
Most reviews of Sanderson's completion were positive after Jordan sort of lost his way in later books. In that case I guess it was a good thing. I only read the first one and didn't pick up the other 14....
Yes, Sanderson;s completion was very good. I liked them more than Sanderson's original works. I've expressed the view before that Jordon was very much in need of a firm editor to keep him on track. It was commonly held that after the first couple of books, every other book was just filler that didn't move the story along.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 11:25 AM   #152
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Maybe it should have been a 4 or 5 book series and the publisher wanted 12 and then it wandered.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 02:35 PM   #153
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
George R.R. Martin admits he made less progress in 2021 than 2020 on the next Game of Thrones book
https://theweek.com/game-of-thrones/...20-on-the-next
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 05:15 PM   #154
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Quote:
Martin also outlined the other book projects on his plate that aren't The Winds of Winter, telling frustrated fans desperate for him to finally finish the sixth book, "I know, for many of you out there, only one of those projects matters. I am sorry for you. They ALL matter to me."
Does anyone else read his message to his fans as, “Sucks to be you”?

I just find it hard to believe that anyone cares anymore. It’s over.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 06:31 PM   #155
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Does anyone else read his message to his fans as, “Sucks to be you”?

I just find it hard to believe that anyone cares anymore. It’s over.
Yeah, I stopped caring years ago. Moved on. There are so many good books out there, no reason to cling to the eternally unfinished ASOIAF.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 07:11 PM   #156
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I look at this ongoing saga and think, thank God I never started this series.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 05:16 AM   #157
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yeah, I stopped caring years ago. Moved on. There are so many good books out there, no reason to cling to the eternally unfinished ASOIAF.
Me too. Books 1-3 great, 4 so-so, 5 I put down about 1/3 of the way through. Why would anyone care about book 6, there is supposedly a book 7 coming too. Will it take him another 10+ years to do that too? Why bother.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 11:26 AM   #158
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I look at this ongoing saga and think, thank God I never started this series.
Apache

I never cared for it, period. Never read them and didn't watch the series, either - if there was one.

Give me Mervyn Peake! Or, for the child in me, Lin Carter!

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 03-13-2022 at 11:33 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 03:48 PM   #159
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If this series ever gets finished, I may give it a go. But not until then.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 08:05 AM   #160
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yeah, I stopped caring years ago. Moved on.
It appears you share this sentiment with GRRM.

I think he would get a lot less questions, which obviously annoys him, if he published proper progress reports like Sanderson, instead of "I've been writing some. Less than a lot, more than a little. Also, here are some other things which I find way more exciting! Boho you!".
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 08:37 AM   #161
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
I think he would get a lot less questions, which obviously annoys him,
I suspect he loves the attention myself. He’s a big boy; he could just ignore them, not pay attention to the press and social media, not show up for conventions; just write.

I also think the issue with his writing is that he finds it far easier to create and expand than to pursue a tight plot. So he’ll keep churning out more and more new stuff which is what he likes doing these days. The readers are not the only ones over ASOIAF. But I also don’t think authors owe their readers anything; the reciprocal attitude for readers is not to be so invested in an author, especially not to feed their ego. Buy the books, read the stuff. If no one paid any attention to GRRM’s witterings he might buckle down at that.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 09:30 AM   #162
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Or he could do as many other well known authors do...

They have another author write the book and their name so it sells...
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 10:32 AM   #163
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I suspect he loves the attention myself. He’s a big boy; he could just ignore them, not pay attention to the press and social media, not show up for conventions; just write.

I also think the issue with his writing is that he finds it far easier to create and expand than to pursue a tight plot. So he’ll keep churning out more and more new stuff which is what he likes doing these days. The readers are not the only ones over ASOIAF. But I also don’t think authors owe their readers anything; the reciprocal attitude for readers is not to be so invested in an author, especially not to feed their ego. Buy the books, read the stuff. If no one paid any attention to GRRM’s witterings he might buckle down at that.
I seem to remember he himself admitted years ago that he tends to lose interest when writing a longer series. I believe that's exactly what his problem is. He's just no longer interested in writing ASOIAF and hasn't been for many years.
Old 03-14-2022, 11:59 AM   #164
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
GRRM is a television writer who briefly (and mistakenly) believed he could write a series of novels (and didn't do badly for the first few). Then got mad when people called him on it. The end.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-14-2022 at 12:56 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 01:48 PM   #165
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
GRRM is a television writer who briefly (and mistakenly) believed he could write a series of novels (and didn't do badly for the first few). Then got mad when people called him on it. The end.
Yeah. He should have wrapped it up with 3-4 books or stuck to stand-alone novels, anthologies and the like. He's no series writer, that's obvious by now, even though the first 3 books of ASOIAF are very good. Unfortunately the first 3 were all he had the momentum for.

Last edited by Sirtel; 03-14-2022 at 02:05 PM.