Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-09-2017, 03:27 AM   #16
pippo53
pippo53 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.pippo53 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.pippo53 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.pippo53 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.pippo53 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.pippo53 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.pippo53 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.pippo53 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.pippo53 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.pippo53 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.pippo53 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo ONE, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by vice-versa View Post
what affiliate gives that update ? Mine is set on Kobo as I don't want the FNAC logo on sleeping. I didn't even get the one that was released at the beginning of the month.
My affiliate is "bol" and i have received new firmware
pippo53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 03:45 AM   #17
Martina Schein
eBook-Reader-Fan
Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O 2nd Edition
Today I have made the update on this new firmware. With version 4.3.8842 my H2O got the new Homescreen. With the current firmware, the reader now has the old Homescreen again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo-Aura-H2O_Firmware-4.3.8945_alter-Homescreen.png
Views:	499
Size:	373.5 KB
ID:	155525  
Martina Schein is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2017, 04:10 AM   #18
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Geoff how hard is it to downgrade back to 3.19?
I don't know how match it's safe to go from 4.x to 3.19, did somebody try it?

The way I do it:
  • Backup all content of the device just in case.
  • Do a factory reset.
  • Select language, connect via PC (Kobo desktop is off), load the FW (the whole package ,upgrade, KoboRoot.tgz, manifest.md5sum), to .kobo, and disconnect the USB cable, it will install the FW.
  • Again connect via PC, copy the FW patching file KoboRoot.tgz to .kobo, with the patch `Block WiFi firmware upgrade` enabled, it will patch the FW.
  • Connect via wifi, registered, set time..., it will tell you "your device is up to date".

You can try replacing the file KoboReader.sqlite (books metadata, reading stat...) in .kobo from the backup you made, just backup the new one if it doesn't work.

Last edited by oren64; 03-09-2017 at 06:51 AM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:24 AM   #19
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina Schein View Post
Today I have made the update on this new firmware. With version 4.3.8842 my H2O got the new Homescreen. With the current firmware, the reader now has the old Homescreen again.
While my KA1 has the old homescreen again, my Aura now features the new one. There isn't even consistency in one and the same upgrade!
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 05:41 AM   #20
Dryhte
Crow
Dryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watch

Device: (Vivlio) Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
While my KA1 has the old homescreen again, my Aura now features the new one. There isn't even consistency in one and the same upgrade!
It's essentially random which one you get. So that's normal
Dryhte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2017, 05:46 AM   #21
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Which home screen you get has absolutely no relationship to the upgrade. Kobo are randomly choosing devices to have the new home screen. They have said about 20% of the devices get the new home screen. Based on comments here, I suspect they might be making sure that people with multiple devices don't have the new home screen on all devices.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 06:13 AM   #22
Martina Schein
eBook-Reader-Fan
Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O 2nd Edition
Quote:
See the two postings under Yours. The procedure is explained there.
You can also use the patcher to get the old Homescreen.
Martina Schein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 06:43 AM   #23
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
... I feel more like an unpaid software tester than a customer at the moment ...
Everybody is a tester: but "they" made you not aware of this fact and according new business model.
Hence, welcome to the club
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:56 AM   #24
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Not a two step process, just bad timing. Kobo have released a few hotfix firmware versions recently. In fact, they released two today. You must have timed the updates to download between turning the first one off and turning the second one on! But, I am surprised it was 4.3.8842 and not 4.3.8871.
You sure about that David? I just now updated my H2O and it did the same thing. It was on 4.2.8432, it first updated to 4.3.8842 and as soon as it came up with 4.3.8842 it immediately started downloading another update and sure enough it was on 4.3.8945 after the second install and restart. I don't see how it can be a timing issue when the same thing has happened 12 hours later. I don't know if it is meant to be a two step process or Kobo has something on the update servers setup wrong but it is working as a two step process.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:15 AM   #25
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
I don't know how match it's safe to go from 4.x to 3.19, did somebody try it?

The way I do it:
  • Backup all content of the device just in case.
  • Do a factory reset.
  • Select language, connect via PC (Kobo desktop is off), load the FW (the whole package ,upgrade, KoboRoot.tgz, manifest.md5sum), to .kobo, and disconnect the USB cable, it will install the FW.
  • Again connect via PC, copy the FW patching file KoboRoot.tgz to .kobo, with the patch `Block WiFi firmware upgrade` enabled, it will patch the FW.
  • Connect via wifi, registered, set time..., it will tell you "your device is up to date".

You can try replacing the file KoboReader.sqlite (books metadata, reading stat...) in .kobo from the backup you made, just backup the new one if it doesn't work.
Thank you! Can you clarify "Kobo desktop"? What is that?

I have less than 50 sideloaded books on my reader so a factory reset wouldn't hurt. I'd need to write down various locations in my books though. However I not going to be the first to try it in case it messes something up.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:30 AM   #26
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminrussell View Post
You sure about that David? I just now updated my H2O and it did the same thing. It was on 4.2.8432, it first updated to 4.3.8842 and as soon as it came up with 4.3.8842 it immediately started downloading another update and sure enough it was on 4.3.8945 after the second install and restart. I don't see how it can be a timing issue when the same thing has happened 12 hours later. I don't know if it is meant to be a two step process or Kobo has something on the update servers setup wrong but it is working as a two step process.
Hmm, I wouldn't have expected anything other than timing. From the way the updates happen, you can usually go from any firmware to the latest. It might mean they haven't cleared a definition from the server.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:43 AM   #27
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Thank you! Can you clarify "Kobo desktop"? What is that?

I have less than 50 sideloaded books on my reader so a factory reset wouldn't hurt. I'd need to write down various locations in my books though. However I not going to be the first to try it in case it messes something up.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Kobodesktop, I stop using it, but it will try to sync/upgrade your device when you connect it to PC.
EDIT: If you don't have Kobodesktop you don't need to worried.

If you replace KoboReader.sqlite and add books from the backup you made in the same place, it will keep the reading position, collection, reading stat...
Backup the new KoboReader.sqlite file if it doesn't work, you can go back.

Last edited by oren64; 03-09-2017 at 11:33 AM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:50 AM   #28
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
I've been having sync issues with my Aura One since 8842 so I had shut off auto-sync. Seeing these two new update threads, I decided to try manually syncing again. The first time trying to sync, it found the new 8945 update, installed that, rebooted, and seemed to sync everything. But after it finished downloading new stuff, the sync icon still kept spinning. I canceled and tried syncing again with no luck.

Giving up on that, I started looking around for changes and discovered the Overdrive settings page said I was signed out -- although it still showed my library there. After signing back in with my library card, it synced! Manually syncing now works with or without having wifi enabled first. And worked fine after powering off and back on as well. Reassured by all this, I've turned nightly auto-syncing back on. I'm optimistic that I'll wake up to a fresh sync instead of a drained battery.

Possibly signing back in to Overdrive was a coincidence. Maybe it was the update, and I just wasn't patient enough. Maybe it was both. Anyone else with sync problems on the Aura One have Overdrive set up?
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:24 AM   #29
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Kobo goes -months- without an update - people complain
Kobo goes -days- with multiple updates - people complain

Poor Kobo, can't make anyone happy
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:30 AM   #30
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Kobo goes -months- without an update - people complain
Kobo goes -days- with multiple updates - people complain

Poor Kobo, can't make anyone happy
I'm happy now! *My* problem is resolved!

ETA: Knock on wood!
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote