Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 11-26-2010, 05:36 PM   #76
wemaho
Nameless Being

Marcel,
Sorry for not responding earlier.

Problem is solved by following the instructions you gave to Groen. The directory was _config\.xournal was not there initially.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:26 AM   #77
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by wemaho View Post
Marcel,
Sorry for not responding earlier.

Problem is solved by following the instructions you gave to Groen. The directory was _config\.xournal was not there initially.
Thanks for giving the feedback. I changed the code to also create the _config-folder if that is not yet created.

I made some changes for the hang-up problem and gave it to Groen, to see if the changes really help. So maybe there will be some improvements on that part.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:29 AM   #78
garywitscher
Enthusiast
garywitscher began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG
I'm wondering .... it seems there is a ver 9 posted on the older thread while the latest version seems to be ver 7a which is posted on this thread. Perhaps a typo or an accidental posting. Which is the latest version of xournal?
garywitscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:41 PM   #79
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by garywitscher View Post
I'm wondering .... it seems there is a ver 9 posted on the older thread while the latest version seems to be ver 7a which is posted on this thread. Perhaps a typo or an accidental posting. Which is the latest version of xournal?
Yes I seemed to have caused some confusion there. I started with version 1 again when creating ports for the new firmware (R2.0).
So ver 7a is the latest for firmware R2.0 and ver 9 in the other thread was the latest version for the DR1000 R1.7.1 firmware.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:01 PM   #80
Mackx
Guru

New experimental feature

I finally got some time to implement a bookmarking/labeling feature. This is a first experimental implementation, to see if it will be a usefull/usable feature.

To add a label: Select the Text-Tool, create a new text item and start your text with "label:" (without the quotes) and then the description of the label. E.g.: "label:This is my first label". When you select the pen-Tool, you will see that the text that will be shown is: "This is my first label" and not "label:This is my first label".

To go to the page of one of the labels, select Help->About to show the label selection dialog (experimental feature, so I used a existing menu-entry :-). You will see two column with all labels and their page number. Double-click on any of them to select the corresponding page.

Note it is still a very experimental feature, furthermore there are more changes made to xournal so it might not do what you expect. This version is only to give feedback on the new feature!

The attached zip file, only contains the modified application (with a different name that the original app) and a short-cut to the new application, called 'XournalPre'. This allows to you to use the old and the new version at the same time. So to start go to: SD Card->Programs->XournalPre.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Xournal-dr-0.8-pre.zip (148.6 KB, 245 views)
Old 01-16-2011, 04:20 PM   #81
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
Hi Marcel,

It works the same on both devices except that for me, adding "label: ..." or just adding something using the text tool does not seem to change anything: in both cases, the text appears under "about" and clicking on it allows you to go there in both cases as well.

Best regards!
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:21 AM   #82
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fekhner View Post
It works the same on both devices except that for me, adding "label: ..." or just adding something using the text tool does not seem to change anything: in both cases, the text appears under "about" and clicking on it allows you to go there in both cases as well.
Hi fekhner,

Thanks for trying on both devices. I must admit that I only tested with "label:..." and not without ...

What do you think of the feature? Would it be usefull to add it?

Regards,
Marcel.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:14 AM   #83
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
So far I am not (yet) a serious enough user of xournal, I am only writing short scribbles when on the train, but for heavy users writing files of something like 10 pages or more, I am sure it can be very useful. It will also make the application more consistent with most reader applications that do have such a feature.

Thanks a lot for all your work, it makes the devices so much more fun to use!

Last edited by fekhner; 01-17-2011 at 04:14 AM. Reason: typo
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:24 PM   #84
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fekhner View Post
The attached version should only show the text-items starting with "label:".
(I tested this time also with non-labels... )

(I also added some modified icons in the zip-file)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Xournal-dr-0.8-pre2.zip (164.7 KB, 248 views)
Old 01-26-2011, 04:01 PM   #85
wemaho
Nameless Being

Hi Marcel,

I want to let you know that I like this feature. I use the reader for larger articles, for which bookmarks are useful.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:29 AM   #86
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groen View Post
Marcel,

Since version 0.7 my DR1000 occassionally hangs when running Xournal. It only occurred a couple of times. I remember it happened when I was trying to open a Note-file, and today it happened when trying to save a file (luckily I had not written anything yet). Maybe it is connected to calling up the open/save file dialog?

Greetings,
Groen
Hi Groen,

You wrote the message above a long time ago, but I could not reproduce it. Guess what happen just now ...
I will see if I can find a way to reproduce it to find out what the problem is. I annotated a document with UDS, closed it, started xournal (without a document) and clicked File->Import Annotations. Then my DR comlpetely locked-up (I had the key-lock on, so I could not test keys). Only a reset helped.
Apart from Groen, did anybody else see it? (and maybe found a way to reproduce it?)

Marcel.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:37 AM   #87
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Hi Mackx,
I haven't had a problem yet, but I don't often import annotations.
Howard
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:57 AM   #88
Groen
eReader
Groen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
Hi Groen,

You wrote the message above a long time ago, but I could not reproduce it. Guess what happen just now ...
I will see if I can find a way to reproduce it to find out what the problem is. I annotated a document with UDS, closed it, started xournal (without a document) and clicked File->Import Annotations. Then my DR comlpetely locked-up (I had the key-lock on, so I could not test keys). Only a reset helped.
Apart from Groen, did anybody else see it? (and maybe found a way to reproduce it?)

Marcel.
In some way, I am glad to see I am not the only one, although it of course means the problem is a bit more serious than some obscure fluke of my DR.

I am afraid I can not really be of any help now, because my DR recently gave up. Actually, the DR itself is fine, but it does not recognise any SD-cards anymore. I think it has something to do with the locking mechanism of the SD-cardreader as I now hear only a single click when inserting a card whereas before I heard two clicks. Furthermore, the SD-card falls out when I hold the DR upright. I think the SD-card is only electrically connected when the locking mechanism is engaged, which appears to fail in my DR now.

I don't expect to have any time soon to open the DR and investigate. Maybe a little bit of glue might already fix the issue, but at this point I am in the unfortunate position that I have more important things on my mind than trying to pry open my DR.

So maybe I will report back in a couple of months. (I hope so, because I still think there is no substitute for the DR1000 in the market.)

Greetings,
Mark
Groen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:23 AM   #89
Mackx
Guru

Hi Mark,

That is very unfortunately. There are some hints in this forum on how to open the DR1000, maybe that can help you solve the problem.

See this thread where Sardy explains how he opened the DR and Gertjan gives some hints for an alternative way. Another is here

Marcel.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:22 PM   #90
Mackx
Guru

Xournal-dr-0.8

See first message for installation files and instructions.

I updated xournal with the following features:
- Add option to only import/show pages that have annotation
See the new menu item in the File-menu. This allows to quickly find the pages on which you made annotations. When reading magazines I sometimes make some notes on interesting articles that I should follow-up. This option allows me to quickly find those remarks.
- Added some experimental icons to the toolbar (only works with MackxPatch)
I mainly use this for the close icon, I am still considering which items to put there. Note that this only work for DR1000 with MackxPatch (> P8) installed, else you will not see the icons.
- Make sure config folder exists
- Add label-functionality
As explained before, this allows a form of bookmarking pages. To add a label: Select the Text-Tool, create a new text item and start your text with "label:" (without the quotes) and then the description of the label. E.g.: "label:This is my first label". When you select the pen-Tool, you will see that the text that will be shown is: "This is my first label" and not "label:This is my first label".
To go to the page of one of the labels, select Help->About to show the label selection dialog (experimental feature, so I used a existing menu-entry :-). You will see two column with all labels and their page number. Double-click on any of them to select the corresponding page.
- Update screen-refresh behaviour
- Add command line options to indicate 'Import Annotations' and 'Import only Annotations'.
The new feature of MackxPatch to allow files to open with a different program can make use of this. The Xournal Alternatives make use of this to open a pdf-document with its annotations or to open only the pages with annotations.
The new features might not be interesting for everybody, but I am making them to make the DR more productive for my own purpose.

Unfortunately I did not find a solution for the crash when loading problem yet.

As always, please keep giving your feedback.
Marcel.

Last edited by Mackx; 03-15-2011 at 02:25 PM.

Tags
xournal