Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 01-02-2011, 02:18 PM   #1
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I went to Best Buy to look at the NC today

And wouldn't you know it, someone had ripped the power cord out of the NC, bent the pins so it wouldn't go back in, and drained the battery. Out of all the e-readers it was the only one I couldn't check out.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:26 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Probably done by one of your Kindle brethren.

I'm just being silly!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 05:29 PM   #3
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
... or an Apple fanboi.
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:05 PM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Probably done by one of your Kindle brethren.

I'm just being silly!
Damn, I didn't think I would be caught.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:00 PM   #5
dallas
dallas will become famous soon enoughdallas will become famous soon enoughdallas will become famous soon enoughdallas will become famous soon enoughdallas will become famous soon enoughdallas will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle, Nookcolor, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtriever View Post
... or an Apple fanboi.

Cult of Jobs member?
dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 10:43 PM   #6
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle 3
my local BB had the sony, the nook, and the kindle on display -- all were trashed and nonfunctioning.

the local BN has a dozen or so NCs on display. i was very impressed with the operation, screen quality, and www browser. not quite as slick as my wife's ipad but more bang for the buck.

i still want to play with the sony and kindle before making a decision, but the NC is really impressive.
tm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:21 AM   #7
jedifarfy
Zealot
jedifarfy doesn't litterjedifarfy doesn't litter

Device: rooted nook color, nook wifi 1st edition
If you have them around, check out Staples. The one near my house had a functioning Sony (I think) 350 display and an on but not usable Kindle. Target's Kindle was also not usable, just had a streaming demo of how to use it.
jedifarfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:08 AM   #8
Jowi
Connoisseur
Jowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: iPod Touch 5g, Kindle PW, iPad 3
This exact same scenario happened to me! All I could see was a message about the battery being too low to power on. The text for that seemed too pixely to me... Not sure if that was a true representation of the resolution or not? Anyway, I was disappointed to not get to see one. But I'm pretty happy with my iPod anyway so maybe I'll just save my $$.
Jowi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:12 AM   #9
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
Best Buy can have the worst electronic displays! Broken, non functioning screens, dead batteries, broken power cords. I've been in there a couple of times to play with some of the various tablets on the market, and they all look so grimy and dirty--yes, even the iPads. The screens look as if they're harboring every germ and disease known to man.
Would it kill them to wipe down the devices several times a day? Leave some wet wipes for customers to use before playing with the devices?

I don't understand how a store that succeeds solely from the sales of electronics can do such a piss poor job displaying them. It would be like going to a Coach store and finding that all of the bags on display have broken clasps and discolored fabric.
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:03 PM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

Best Buy doesn't put much effort into any displays except cellular phones. They don't even have a person assigned to the ebook reader area. B&N on the other hand has several tables set up with multiple functioning NCs and at least one person there at all times to answer questions.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:22 PM   #11
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
The nearest B&N is some 40+ miles away, unfortunately. I'll check back on the NC display the next time I'm in BB and see if they've got it fixed up.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:10 PM   #12
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Best Buy doesn't put much effort into any displays except cellular phones. They don't even have a person assigned to the ebook reader area. B&N on the other hand has several tables set up with multiple functioning NCs and at least one person there at all times to answer questions.
The nearby B&N store only had one kiosk setup right in front of the door. They had exactly one Nook & one NC... oddly enough as well, they didn't keep the Nooks in the lockable cabinets either, but up behind the cash registers...

Walmart sells them as well, not sure if they have a demo unit setup... (Only been to a Walmart twice and the last time was a LONG time ago...)
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:30 PM   #13
kevinrs
Enthusiast
kevinrs began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
of course when my sister went into B&N the nooks were out of stock, the displays weren't there to look at, either missing or stolen or whatever.
kevinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:34 PM   #14
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Our local Best Buy actually has a very good ereader section, although support is a bit lacking. The closest B&N stores are 67, 72, and 150 miles away, so BB is the only local place I can actually "play" with the readers.
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:38 PM   #15
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
which is smart business. i spent about 15 minutes playing with the NC and saw several sales made by the NC sales clerk. don't know if those would have happened without someone to help with questions, and a functioning product to see.
tm3 is offline   Reply With Quote