View Poll Results: Nook vs Kindle 3
Nook 121 52.84%
Kindle 3 94 41.05%
Other 14 6.11%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2011, 11:20 AM   #106
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
No one reads with the lights off, means (so you can understand) totally dark. Reading at bed is not dark, there is one light at least, and still you can use a lamp or even a Kindle light for that. Yes, you can use the LCD device but the light and lumens are higher, because they are coming from the device itself. Yes, you can change the setting, etc, etc, but still you will get more reflection about this.
Speaking as someone whose spouse reads at night (and for which reason I bought him a Nook Color to begin with), there is a VERY big difference between an LCD screen with white text on black background versus a lamp/book light.

You are free to disagree, but I find this statement to basically be, "Well, there's always a light on when you read, so what's the difference between an LCD screen pointed directly at the reader's face with little ambient light seepage and a searchlight in your bedroom? It's all light, right?

And, no, there is not automatically more light coming from an LCD device than from a book light. It depends on the book light and it depends on the LCD customization settings. This statement makes me think that you are asserting your opinion based on feelings rather than data.

Last edited by anamardoll; 05-03-2011 at 11:23 AM.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:42 PM   #107
ncguy68
Enthusiast
ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet, Asus TF300, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Apple vs Oranges

Kindle is an eink reader. Nook Color has an LCD screen. Kindle is a dedicated ereader. Nook Color is a tablet which, out of stock, has no access to Android Market.

Now, I do not know what you mean with sharper and clearer, but letters on a eink device are way more sharper because is true black, not a generated black color (combining several colors at the same time) typical on LCD screens. Even at angle, LCD screens contrast varies because the way the technology works.

I am happy that you like your device, but Kindle and NC are different and you certainly can use the Kindle at bright sun; doing the same with the Nook Color ends with lot of reflection.

With proper light, like the one people use for a book, a Kindle can be used indoors too. People complain that they are not able to read a Kindle with dim light or when is dark but who reads a book with the lights off?

It's a personal preference.....I own both and I think the Nook Color screen is sharper and text is easier to read. The new Kindle 3 uses a gray looking screen which is terrible in dim light....When I read it at night I require a 150 watt lamp. In my option the old Classic Nook E-Ink screen is easier to read in dim light than the Kindle 3. When you add in the terrible user interface and the clunky keyboard I am no fan of the Kindle at all.
ncguy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2011, 03:41 PM   #108
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy68 View Post
It's a personal preference.....I own both and I think the Nook Color screen is sharper and text is easier to read. The new Kindle 3 uses a gray looking screen which is terrible in dim light....When I read it at night I require a 150 watt lamp. In my option the old Classic Nook E-Ink screen is easier to read in dim light than the Kindle 3. When you add in the terrible user interface and the clunky keyboard I am no fan of the Kindle at all.
+1

I'm not understanding this "true black" argument that is being put forth. eInk is rendered with 16 shades of gray (honest! check the Kindle wiki!) and LCD is rendered with colors combined to form black. That's......how colors work.

I like eInk for day reading (particularly outdoors, but anywhere is fine) and LCD for night reading. I do think it's the sharper, clearer option for low light environments. I also tend to go with a smaller font size on LCD than with eInk. Not sure if that's meaningful or not....

I love both my eInk and my LCD readers; they're different tools for different environments, imho.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:31 AM   #109
javyn
Enthusiast
javyn began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I would not want to read on an LCD, even at night, but that's just me. e-ink + book light is still better IMO.

I work on a computer all day, and spend lots of my free time on my computer at home. I like my books being digital, but not in color! I'd be needing the Visine big time lol
javyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:19 PM   #110
skydive
Addict
skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook 902 Ver 2.1.3, Virgin Nook STR & Rooted Nook Color CM7
I have a Pocketbook 902 and is good for now. I never test a kindle DX and I have a couple of questions.

How is the PDF support? Note taking on PDF? highligths?
What about the dictionaries?English to spanish, spanish to spanish? can I load a new dictionary?

Ability to modify how the PDF look, for example, darken if required?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
There are Kindle owners who post on the Nook board. I keep an eye for the Kindle vs Nook topics and people who post here looking for a new reader and not in the generic looking for an e-reader topic. So I voted for K3.

Try not to be surprised. (grins)

I have had a Kindle for two years now and have yet to buy or download a free book that requires conversion from EPub to Mobi. I know it can be done but I have not had to do it. I have well over 300 books on my DXG. Sorry but EPub is not that big of a deal in the US. The only time it is an issue is for the library and even then it doesn't have to be an issue if you don't want it to be.

Outside of the US EPub is more of an issue since it appears to be the prefered format. I suspect that will change now that the Kindle is international and more and more people are buying Kindles outside of the US. A smart publisher will provide both Mobi and EPub formats when the Mobi format prefered by Amazon starts to take off. The Kindle has been international for about a year now. The number of e-books available for the K1 grew pretty dramatically after year one and has continued to grow ever since. I expect a similar growth outside of the US this year.
skydive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2011, 02:54 PM   #111
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydive View Post
I have a Pocketbook 902 and is good for now. I never test a kindle DX and I have a couple of questions.

How is the PDF support? Note taking on PDF? highligths?
What about the dictionaries?English to spanish, spanish to spanish? can I load a new dictionary?

Ability to modify how the PDF look, for example, darken if required?
You probably want to take your questions to the Kindle forum which is a better place to discuss the Kindle.

The PDF is not great. You cannot highlight or take notes on PDF's on the KDXG. There are English to Spanish dictionaries and yes you can load the dictionary onto your Kindle device.

The K3 has better PDF capability then the DXG but the screen is too small, in my opinion.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote