Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-30-2011, 10:56 PM   #541
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
since I also smoke pipe and tried cigars the form factor isn't a problem.
from my POV its still a light item. but if you look for weight and balance you probably won't like it.
why I wanted a try before was that as far as I read its pure luck wether you get one that leaks or stays clean - and when they start to leak and you get half a drop of liquid (or more) on your tongue because of that you get too much of everything - taste, nico, whatever: it happened to me and I had 'nuff. I went to wash my tongue and grabbed something smokeable.
As far as I read the previous models which you fill "zippo-like" are even more prone to leak and mess.

so for me it is still beta-tech. to weak in taste and too much mess in handling.
I might risk a look again when they change the hardware.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:58 PM   #542
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
It is a Solarflare 2012, which is actually a rebranded DSE-103....

...The trick with ecigs is to realize that the nicotine delivery is not the same as a cigarette - it takes a little bit to build up rather than the instant nic hit of a real cigarette. An ecig needs to be puffed a little differently than a real cig (known as an "analog" in the vaping world) so there's an adjustment there.

With that said, YES, it does satisfy me....
I have a couple of Encore ecigs that I bought from a local Smoke Shack that I use with some flavorings I purchased on-line. They are considerably different from analog. I find that with the Encore, when first charged with fluid they tend to be harsh, and quickly seem to go bland. Learning just how hard to draw is a challenge. Too hard and I cough, not hard enough, and I feel I'm not getting anything. Mostly I smoke them in the car. They just don't do it for me.

It's a dirty little secret I'm sharing here for the first time, but back when the Book Club read The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne last year, the descriptions in that work of the sailor who sorely missed his beloved tobacco on the island, and his delight upon discovering that his stranded fellows had secretly cultivated a crop to surprise him, were so overpowering that I just had to smoke my first cigarette in years. I admitted that, but what I haven't admitted until now is how that cigarette tasted so good that a week or so later I had another. Then another. Then...

Damn that Jules Verne. I hope he's cleaning porta-potties in Hell.

And damn American Spirit for making cigarettes that taste so good. But at least they're additive-free.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2011, 12:18 PM   #543
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Christa - tt may help (add), when you exhale the vapor trough nose - more nicotine extraction from the vapour + the most what we percieve as taste is scent.

Tom - you are so right its the chem additives that ruin it.
this is why i prefer pipe tobacco mixes done @the shop directly.

a propos how that tasted so good: I got (as a gift) twice in my life a Monte Christo cigar. *sigh* If there is something making an otherwise frugal person wish he were rich enough for luxury goods on a regular basis than those ones...
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:46 PM   #544
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
why I wanted a try before was that as far as I read its pure luck wether you get one that leaks or stays clean - and when they start to leak and you get half a drop of liquid (or more) on your tongue because of that you get too much of everything - taste, nico, whatever
(snip)
so for me it is still beta-tech. to weak in taste and too much mess in handling.
I might risk a look again when they change the hardware.
It really depends. Look at the 510, for example. There are dozens of companies manufacturing 510-compatible parts, not just the original, Joye. As a result, quality can be erratic. Those who are using cartos instead of atty+cart combos generally find one good supplier and stick with it. My 103 only leaks if I overfill the carts. I've heard that Boge cartos have a pretty good rep, so if I switch to a 510-compatible model I may start using those instead of regular carts.

The industry is fairly new, with PVs only really taking off in the last couple of years, but I find that places like e-cigarette-forum.com are great for getting recommendations for quality vendors and equipment. Just something to keep in mind if you decide to try them out again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I have a couple of Encore ecigs that I bought from a local Smoke Shack that I use with some flavorings I purchased on-line. They are considerably different from analog. I find that with the Encore, when first charged with fluid they tend to be harsh, and quickly seem to go bland. Learning just how hard to draw is a challenge. Too hard and I cough, not hard enough, and I feel I'm not getting anything. Mostly I smoke them in the car. They just don't do it for me.
(snip)
I admitted that, but what I haven't admitted until now is how that cigarette tasted so good that a week or so later I had another. Then another. Then...

Damn that Jules Verne. I hope he's cleaning porta-potties in Hell.

And damn American Spirit for making cigarettes that taste so good. But at least they're additive-free.
Thank you for sharing your confession. I have to remember to stay away from that book!

My 103 has a pretty gradual fall off after switching to a fresh batt/cart, so I don't really notice the problem you've experienced with that. I like having a model with an LED tip because it gives me visual feedback on my draw. For the auto models (no switch, they heat up when you draw) it sometimes helps to take a quick puff to pre-heat the atomizer first, then take a regular draw. Manual (switch) units are supposed to be better in that regard, but I haven't had the chance to try one yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
Christa - tt may help (add), when you exhale the vapor trough nose - more nicotine extraction from the vapour + the most what we percieve as taste is scent.
As my body is detoxing from analogs, my sinuses are extremely sensitive right now. I've found that while a nasal exhale does help getting my nic dose faster, it also can start me sneezing.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:02 PM   #545
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hellooooo? Anyone home? This place is all cobwebs and echos! Where is everyone? Miss you all!
Advert
Old 10-05-2011, 03:29 PM   #546
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Hellooooo? Anyone home? This place is all cobwebs and echos! Where is everyone? Miss you all!
Hello!!! Glad to see you back!!!

You've been missed!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:44 PM   #547
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
Hello!!! Glad to see you back!!!

You've been missed!
Thanks! It's good to be back, although I quickly realized I now need to avoid certain areas - there seems to be a whole new batch of contention happening in a few places on MR, and the last thing I need right now is stress.

How've you been?
Old 10-05-2011, 04:11 PM   #548
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I've been good! Definitely a lot... especially if you like free books! Waiting for my new ereader (Sony T1) to show up so that I can spend more money on books. Why do I feel the need to get more. It is not as if I don't have enough!! New toy - new stuff to put on it.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:14 PM   #549
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
How've you been?
You are always welcome in What is in your cup Society
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:28 PM   #550
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I've been good! Definitely a lot... especially if you like free books! Waiting for my new ereader (Sony T1) to show up so that I can spend more money on books. Why do I feel the need to get more. It is not as if I don't have enough!! New toy - new stuff to put on it.
Free books are always good, especially right now. I'm waiting to hear about a job I applied for, so maybe that will change soon. :-) Actually, free will still be good, just not my only option.

T1, eh? I've been hearing about those. I might check 'em out. I love my Kindle but I love gadgets in general so if I get the job I'll be wanting a new gadget. I think I love the comparison shopping process almost as much as actually buying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
You are always welcome in What is in your cup Society
ASTRA!! **hug** So good to see yoU! I haven't been drinking anything interesting lately, but it's coming up on cooler weather when I drink lots of tea. If I get the new job, I'll be looking for recommendations.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:50 PM   #551
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Hey hon!! Good to see you pop your head in!
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:43 PM   #552
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Welcome back CWN! Always good to see you.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:28 PM   #553
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Hi ladies! Good to see both of you too, although I see Shel on FB daily. I was thinking of you the other day, Nyssa - I was browsing Fifth Emperium and came across the Honorverse disc.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:42 PM   #554
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Hi ladies! Good to see both of you too, although I see Shel on FB daily. I was thinking of you the other day, Nyssa - I was browsing Fifth Emperium and came across the Honorverse disc.
I've talked about it that much, huh?

If I actually thought about it, I would have said hi on GoodReads, but I don't chat there as much as I do here; I'm pretty single minded there. I'm glad you're back here.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:10 PM   #555
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I've talked about it that much, huh?

If I actually thought about it, I would have said hi on GoodReads, but I don't chat there as much as I do here; I'm pretty single minded there. I'm glad you're back here.
No, you're just one of the few of my friends who have read them and mentioned them, that's all. And no worries about GR, I haven't been there much either until the last few days. I'm in the process of completely redoing my GR shelves using the calibre plugin (after completely redoing my calibre library as well). I've got all but the last 100 or so re-shelved.

It's no coincidence that when life gets stressful, my OCD kicks in and screams "Let me organize something!!!" LOL I've even offered to organize the ebook library of the guy I've been seeing. It was kind of sad. "Please? I don't even need to do it there, just put them on a jump drive!" Unfortunately, he neither cares how organized his ebooks are nor realizes my current need to exert control over digital files.