Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-30-2010, 04:19 PM   #1
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
3G refurbished kindle 2 or kindle 3

I have a Classic Nook and a Nook Color but I’m also thinking of getting a kindle 3. A girl should never be limited to the number of gadgets that she can have . I am thinking of either getting a 3G refurbished kindle 2 or the new kindle 3. I know the kindle 3 has the pearl screen but besides that, are there any differences between the web browsers? Also, I am wondering if I can retrieve or compose Yahoo e-mails when I’m traveling overseas using the 3G kindle 2 or kindle 3. Thanks
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:42 PM   #2
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Personally I'd always opt for the newer technology unless you can get the older model at a real significantly cheaper price.

The new pearl screen is a lot clearer to read on and the latest Kindle uses a different web browser which does give a more satisfactory result for web browsing. I've used both.

I haven't tested yahoo mail but gmail works very well indeed.

You're right - a girl can never have too many gadgets! I'm defo a gadget girl too
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2010, 04:59 PM   #3
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm View Post
Personally I'd always opt for the newer technology unless you can get the older model at a real significantly cheaper price.

The new pearl screen is a lot clearer to read on and the latest Kindle uses a different web browser which does give a more satisfactory result for web browsing. I've used both.

I haven't tested yahoo mail but gmail works very well indeed.

You're right - a girl can never have too many gadgets! I'm defo a gadget girl too
Is it possible that you can test the yahoo mail for me? I am traveling aboard and some of the hotels might not have WiFi so having a global 3G kindle to check and compose mail is definitely a big plus for me.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:15 PM   #4
erictoma
Banned
erictoma doesn't littererictoma doesn't litter

Device: None
Better go for the new Kindle 3.
But I don't think you'll need it , all you need is to read not to buy.
erictoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:06 PM   #5
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
For those of you with a K2 and a K3, how does the joy stick controller on the K2 compare to the 5-way controller on the K3? It looks to me like it might be easier to navigate with the joy stick. But I've never tried a K2.

Back to the OP, I'd say that for the price of a wifi K3, go for it over the 3G K2... unless you need 3G.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2010, 07:28 PM   #6
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
It really depends on how important 3G is to you. For myself, I would choose the K3 since you can always find a wifi hot spot.

I love my K3 for reading but I don't think I would ever use it for the web browser unless I was really desperate. I loaded it once and it looked like everything was too small to read. There is likely a way to zoom but I didn't explore any further.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:57 PM   #7
Rebo
Groupie

I definitely want the 3G. It is not easy to get a WiFi hot spot when you are out of the country. I like to travel a lot and the concept of the global 3G really appeals to me. I can shop and download new books at any time; the web browser is another bonus that will allow me at least to check e-mails and stay connected in some way. I know Gmail will work but I'm just wondering if Yahoo mail will work too since that is where my account is. I would really appreciate some feedback from users that have tried the Yahoo mail.

Since I already have 2 ereaders, I am hoping if there are not too much differences, I can go with the refurbished 3G K2 and save some money. I demoed the K3 in Best Buy and it is pretty user friendly. The only issue is when I tried to navigate to a page, I couldn't find the number keys so I randomly typed something which doesn't get me too far. Does the K2 have number keys? Also, thanks for pointing out the K2 has joystick while K3 has the 5 way controller. I am not sure how the joystick handles but the 5 way controller seems pretty easy to use.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:24 PM   #8
erictoma
Banned
erictoma doesn't littererictoma doesn't litter

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebo View Post
I definitely want the 3G. It is not easy to get a WiFi hot spot when you are out of the country. I like to travel a lot and the concept of the global 3G really appeals to me. I can shop and download new books at any time; the web browser is another bonus that will allow me at least to check e-mails and stay connected in some way. I know Gmail will work but I'm just wondering if Yahoo mail will work too since that is where my account is. I would really appreciate some feedback from users that have tried the Yahoo mail.

Since I already have 2 ereaders, I am hoping if there are not too much differences, I can go with the refurbished 3G K2 and save some money. I demoed the K3 in Best Buy and it is pretty user friendly. The only issue is when I tried to navigate to a page, I couldn't find the number keys so I randomly typed something which doesn't get me too far. Does the K2 have number keys? Also, thanks for pointing out the K2 has joystick while K3 has the 5 way controller. I am not sure how the joystick handles but the 5 way controller seems pretty easy to use.
With Kindle, anytime your downloaded something other then their ebooks they will charge you per megabit of attached files.
They said in their contract that the G 3 is offered to customers only for purchasing books from them not for viewing your emails, and they can cut this service anytime they want.
erictoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:46 PM   #9
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebo View Post
The only issue is when I tried to navigate to a page, I couldn't find the number keys so I randomly typed something which doesn't get me too far. Does the K2 have number keys? Also, thanks for pointing out the K2 has joystick while K3 has the 5 way controller. I am not sure how the joystick handles but the 5 way controller seems pretty easy to use.
On Kindle 3 the top row QWERTYUIOP are numbers keys with ALT, so ALT+Q is 1, and ALT + P is 0

I actually prefer some things on my Kindle 2i to Kindle3, such as the large page-turn buttons, which click inwards. I find in hard to pick up the Kindle3 without turning the page. And I like having the number keys on the keyboard. But it is true, resolution is amazing on Kindle 3, and the browser is way, way better.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:57 PM   #10
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
I have a Kindle 2i...though the browser is clunky (kind description), it is more than adequate for picking up email. I use Yahoo! Mail and was in the Dominican Republic in June and had no trouble getting my email -- Amazon does NOT charge for piking up and responding to email. Having the 3G was essential as there were no wifi hotspots. I personally would not get a Kindle without 3G if I was travelling to anywhere off of the beaten track as wifi hotspots are not that easy to find and the 3G coverage is very good. Joystick is easy to use. Hope this helps!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:01 PM   #11
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
P.S. -- My kids used it for checking and responding to their Facebook... yes, I went from 'geek Dad with a Kindle' to 'Dad, can I borrow your Kindle?'!!!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:03 PM   #12
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by erictoma View Post
With Kindle, anytime your downloaded something other then their ebooks they will charge you per megabit of attached files.
They said in their contract that the G 3 is offered to customers only for purchasing books from them not for viewing your emails, and they can cut this service anytime they want.
I don't think that's right. You are only charged per MB when you upload your own documents and have them sent to your kindle.com email address. If you have it sent to your free.kindle.com email address (wifi), it is free.

Look about halfway down the page in this link:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200375630
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:06 AM   #13
Rebo
Groupie

Thanks for the response. Well, anyway the K2 is already out of stock. I guess that makes it simple. I'll just get the K3. Thanks again.