Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-07-2016, 09:03 AM   #1
polli
Zealot
polli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Touch, LG G Pad. Asus 7.0
Question How to get Calibre from Windows 7 to Windows 10

I have been using calibre for a long time on Windows 7.
I am about to buy a Windows 10 PC and was hoping to transfer my calibre books and settings etc to it.
What is the easiest way and will it save my columns i created and duplicate checker ...and maybe Alf etc too?
polli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:10 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
In the Library dropdown in the toolbar, see the Export/Import tool.

NOTE: This is documented in the FAQ.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2016, 11:40 AM   #3
polli
Zealot
polli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enough

What will save?
Also where do I put the calibre folder in Windows 10?
Old 08-07-2016, 12:00 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Quote:
Originally Posted by polli View Post
What will save?
You don't need to worry bout things like that if you use that tool.

Install Calibre: Now Run the tool (import this time )
You will be given a list of Libraries (in the archive) to choose from. You have the option to rename (and path that is legal for the user)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:50 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
What will save?
If by the 'calibre folder' you mean the folder where the calibre software is installed, which is normally in %SystemDrive%\Program Files (or Program Files (X86)), you should get a fresh one by installing latest version of calibre.

The export/import feature, exports (saves) the selected library folders (in their entirety) and the configuration folder (global preferences, plugins etc) in a form that they can be imported (restored) to different locations on the new machine. The process also takes care of any platform (Operating/File System) differences with respect to path lengths and file names etc - i.e. its the best way to move from one platform to another.

IMO: best practice would be to run the Library Maintenance->Check Library function and resolve any anomalies on the libraries before doing the export - no point in transferring 'dodgy' data.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 08-07-2016 at 04:53 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2016, 07:25 AM   #6
polli
Zealot

So when I export can I save it to external or USB memory stick? Or will it be a very large file?
Then when I set up windows 10 where do I put it then? My docs?

Calibre folder is in my user profile now.
Do you mean that one then or the one in programed files?

Last edited by polli; 08-08-2016 at 07:36 AM.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:13 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You can save it anywhere you want.

The size depends on how many books you have in your library.

Just import the exported data folder onto the new computer using the same dialog, and it will ask you where you want to store your calibre library -- "My Documents" will work fine, but you are free to choose somewhere else if you want. It really doesn't matter, except in terms of what you prefer.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:28 PM   #8
polli
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
You can save it anywhere you want.

The size depends on how many books you have in your library.

Just import the exported data folder onto the new computer using the same dialog, and it will ask you where you want to store your calibre library -- "My Documents" will work fine, but you are free to choose somewhere else if you want. It really doesn't matter, except in terms of what you prefer.
Thank you. So I just plug in the USB stick or external and calibre will import it all if I use the same dialog?
Is it as easy as that?
Hoping it saves my settings.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:34 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you. So I just plug in the USB stick or external and calibre will import it all if I use the same dialog?
Is it as easy as that?
Hoping it saves my settings.
Yep
Easy-Peasy as that. It just take time if you have a big or Many Libraries.

You don't have to restore all the Libraries saved in the Archive
Old 08-08-2016, 03:16 PM   #10
polli
Zealot

Thank you all then for the help.Fingers crossed it saves my settings as cant remember how i did them now Iol
Old 08-08-2016, 04:14 PM   #11
polli
Zealot

One last question Is the Library folder I am exporting all the books themselves?
Or just a computer file related to them?
Old 08-08-2016, 05:06 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
The export/import feature, exports (saves) the selected library folders (in their entirety) and the configuration folder (global preferences, plugins etc) in a form that they can be imported (restored) to different locations on the new machine.
The export will write ALL the data to a file named something like "part-0001.calibre-data", in the designated device/location and the import will read ALL the data from the "part-0001.calibre_data" file on the designated device/location and write it to the locations you nominate.

Given you're so obviously nervous about this, why don't you try it on a small library - nothing is changed on the old machine.

BR
Old 08-08-2016, 05:55 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

PART-NNNN is what we call a spanned archive.
It avoids the problems associated with overly large files that older OS or hardware balk/choke at.

All you need to remember, is to keep all the parts together (while restoring)
Old 08-09-2016, 04:57 AM   #14
polli
Zealot

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
The export will write ALL the data to a file named something like "part-0001.calibre-data", in the designated device/location and the import will read ALL the data from the "part-0001.calibre_data" file on the designated device/location and write it to the locations you nominate.

Given you're so obviously nervous about this, why don't you try it on a small library - nothing is changed on the old machine.

BR
I just wondered how big the file would be.
If small will save it to a Usb stick.
If bigger to the external drive. I have about 800 books now.
Don't save the ones I have read and not enjoyed.

My whole Calibre folder is copied elsewhere.

Do I add to File to the new Pc before or after I install Calibre?

Worst case scenario I will just save my books and start a new library lol...is that possible?

Last edited by polli; 08-09-2016 at 05:06 AM.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:31 AM   #15
BetterRed
null operator

Quote:
I just wondered how big the file would be.
If small will save it to a Usb stick.
How big is your library folder - right click it and select properties, wait for windows to do the math. This one of my libraries of ~3,500 'regular' novel style books: Size on disk is less 3 GB, I think my smallest memory stick is 4GB and it's nearly as old as I am

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	150769

The file will be that big, plus the size of the configuration data, round it up to the nearest gigabyte and the calibre_data file will be about that big.

Quote:
Do I add to File to the new Pc before or after I install Calibre?
After you install calibre. You need to install it first, because you do the 'import' via the Calibre Library->Export/Import all calibre data option (my emphasis) viz:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	150770

NB : You can export to and import from a USB stick directly

Quote:
Worst case scenario I will just save my books and start a new library lol...is that possible?
Sure but its harder.

I really don't understand why you're making a big deal out of this. Have you read the relevant FAQ, much of what you're asking is covered in it. Here it is (again ??) ==>> How do I move my calibre data from one computer to another?

BR