Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-11-2019, 05:22 AM   #16
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
This is the device I would buy day one (like I used to with Kindles until they became compromises between usability and Amazon's fantasy of innovation)!
(I wouldn't even need the 32GBs, although I'd probably get them going for the 4G version)
The Voyage was a compromise as well. The bezel with the buttons wasn't wide enough. Maybe you liked it, but I didn't like how careful you have to be how to put your thumb on the button to avoid touching the screen.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 05:38 AM   #17
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
The Voyage was a compromise as well. The bezel with the buttons wasn't wide enough. Maybe you liked it, but I didn't like how careful you have to be how to put your thumb on the button to avoid touching the screen.
This is something I struggle with when I'm holding my Voyage. I can hardly grip the side or I'm pressing the button. So it falls out of my hands a lot (on the couch or on the bed, so no damage, but it's still annoying).
SusanReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2019, 10:16 AM   #18
Tomk2
Groupie
Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Yep. It takes practice, and I still get unwanted screen touches. What do they have against bezels that are a full thumb wide?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:54 PM   #19
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
I do not see Clara as a low-end device. Its a pretty nice ereader much better than the kindle basic and even better than the paperwhite in quality, clarity and has the comfort light. Both the H2O Edition 2 and the Clara HD is better than Amazons Basic and paperwhite. Just my opinion.

Back on topic: I think they need to get rid of the kindle Basic. I purchased one for the heck of it and I find it rather awful. It goes to sleep while I am using it and drives me nuts. The paperwhite should be entry-level, make Oasis midlevel and come out with an 8" high-end device. The whole line needs an overhaul. I think the oasis needs redesigned especially since other companies are copying the design now.

off topic but I want Apple to make an eink ereader. I bet it will be a beauty if they did
When I bought my first reader I chose the Paperwhite (7th generation, Year 2017) but I don't think that they need to get rid of the kindle Basic. There are many people that need a device as cheap as possible.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:57 PM   #20
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
I loved my Voyage until it died. I didn’t want to spend the money on a Forma or Oasis so I tried the PW4. I hated it. The bezels were so small I kept turning pages inadvertently. If the Libre had been available then I probably would have bought it. I bought a Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8. It works fine and I like it. I buy most of my books from Kobo or Christianbook.com now so they will already be in ePub format. I think the Kindle line could use Voyage-like reader in its lineup.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2019, 03:53 PM   #21
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Summary of this thread: people like different things, which seems like a good argument for having different product models, which is the point of OP.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:02 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
When I bought my first reader I chose the Paperwhite (7th generation, Year 2017) but I don't think that they need to get rid of the kindle Basic. There are many people that need a device as cheap as possible.
Did you read where I put that Kobo has the Aura that is a Kindle Basic killer? Higher resolution, comfortlight. and ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:08 PM   #23
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Did you read where I put that Kobo has the Aura that is a Kindle Basic killer? Higher resolution, comfortlight. and ePub.
Yep, but that's not an option for those people who are immured in the Amazon ecosystem and have no idea about DRM, sideloading, Apprentices and all that stuff. Which is actually the majority of Kindle users.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 04:55 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yep, but that's not an option for those people who are immured in the Amazon ecosystem and have no idea about DRM, sideloading, Apprentices and all that stuff. Which is actually the majority of Kindle users.
Keep the whatever Kindle they already have be it a Reader or an app and go for the Kobo. There are lots of people switching to Kobo because the hardware and software is better.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:58 AM   #25
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Keep the whatever Kindle they already have be it a Reader or an app and go for the Kobo. There are lots of people switching to Kobo because the hardware and software is better.
Better hardware? No. I still think the Kindle screens are way better than the Kobo screens.
SusanReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:29 AM   #26
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
AFAIK it's the SAME supplier & technology. Probably models of the similar period and same size are the same screen.

Actually the IR touch original Kobo Aura H2O is whiter than the PW3 or PW4, though obviously slightly lower resolution as it's the same number of pixels on 6.8" instead of 6"

The Kobo Libra H2O is similar to PW3 and PW4 as it's 300 dpi and capacitive.

The lighting, which is a totally optional feature, is not the screen. It seems to vary slightly between examples of PW2, PW3, PW4 and the various Kobos. Some Kindle PW models are uneven at the bottom and some Kobos may have slight shading at the side margin. Inherently the eink front lighting is poorer than ambient and less even than OLED.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:00 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanReads View Post
Better hardware? No. I still think the Kindle screens are way better than the Kobo screens.
Sorry, but you are wrong. The Kobo Aura has 1024x786 resolution using a Carta screen with a font light and a comfortlight. The firmware is better and the reading software is better. There is nothing about a Kindle Basic that's better then a Kobo Aura.

I have an original Kobo Aura H2O and it is better then any version Kindle Paperwhite.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:41 PM   #28
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomk2 View Post
What do they have against bezels that are a full thumb wide?
The Nook Glowlight 3 has comfortable bezels and was pilloried for it.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 03:43 PM   #29
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Personally I would rather they re-released the Voyage with a comfort light (and probably waterproofing), but I don't see that happening.
That would get me to buy a Kindle. I thought the Voyage was a very pretty reader. The nicest of the Kindles, anyway.

I do have a soft spot for the original Oasis as well, and think it looks nice in its custom case.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:18 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The Nook Glowlight 3 has comfortable bezels and was pilloried for it.
That's because the bezel of the nook Glowlight 3 is an awful mess. It's too wide and that hakes the case for it wider then it should be. Most nooks are a right mess in the design of the hardware and thre software is just rubbish at best.