Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-10-2023, 08:58 PM   #1471
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab78727 View Post
With the latest firmware, I found the following bugs:

* google drive export doesn't seem to work. an attempt to export a notebook to gdrive takes a long time (5+ minutes) and the resulting file is truncated/corrupt (neither the gdrive preview nor other pdf readers of mine were able to open it.)
At this point in time, Google Drive is intended to be a read only storage. Writing to Google Drive may be in a future update.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 03:33 AM   #1472
cbeaver
cbeaver began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo and GloHD
Went back to 4.35.20400 from last December. Everything now functions correctly (battery no longer drains and wifi works [when I actually want it]).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The long time when you first plug it in is normal since it takes a bit before it had the information to calculate the charge time. The second is a bit strange since my Kobos show moderately accurate time to charge times (moderately is within 50% of the actual time).

If you run your battery down to zero (the ereader turns off) and then fully charge, 3 or 4 cycles of doing this seems to help with getting the time and percentage more accurate.
cbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 07:28 PM   #1473
ab78727
Connoisseur
ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: reMarkable2 Sony-DPT-S1 iPad9g
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
At this point in time, Google Drive is intended to be a read only storage. Writing to Google Drive may be in a future update.
It's a bit strange though - maybe it is supposed to be different/read-write on the Elipsa but currently broken? When I linked my Google Drive account, it created a "Rakuten Kobo" folder in the drive similar to how it handles Dropbox so it seems to have some read/write access. I just wanted to be able to stop using Dropbox as I already a Google One plan so I was hoping they'll get it right eventually.
ab78727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 06:25 PM   #1474
underblue
underblue began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Product:
Libra 2

Firmware:

File types:
kepub

Sideloaded or from Kobobooks:
Sideloaded

Steps to reproduce:
1. Load a KEPUB onto the Kobo Libra 2.
2. Navigate to a section, preferably poetry, where text lines are followed by newline characters (empty line or space between paragraphs).
3. Attempt to select text that ends at the very end of a line immediately before a newline character.
4. Observe the behavior of the text selection, especially in lines containing the `<span class="koboSpan">` element.
5. For comparison, attempt the same selection on lines without the `<span class="koboSpan">` element.
6. Additionally, note the presence of the `<br/>` tag in the HTML used for creating spaces between paragraphs.

Current result:
- When selecting text ending at a line before a newline character, the selection unexpectedly expands to cover the entire content of the book, starting from the initial point of selection.
- This behavior causes the Kobo Libra 2 device to freeze and eventually crash.
- Lines containing the `<span class="koboSpan">` element trigger this behavior, while lines without it do not. However, lines without this element also do not support highlighting functionality.
- The presence of the `<br/>` tag in the HTML seems to be the problem.

Workaround:
Using CSS for spacing instead of the `<br/>` tag has shown to mitigate the issue. But I can't edit every kepub to avoid <br/>.
underblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 07:28 PM   #1475
Aleron Ives
Guru
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I got this behaviour on a book recently, too. You may wish to fix the firmware you cited in your post, though: 4.1.5 does not exist. The first Libra 2 firmware was 4.29.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 08:25 PM   #1476
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by underblue View Post
Product:
Libra 2

Firmware:

File types:
kepub

Sideloaded or from Kobobooks:
Sideloaded

Steps to reproduce:
1. Load a KEPUB onto the Kobo Libra 2.
2. Navigate to a section, preferably poetry, where text lines are followed by newline characters (empty line or space between paragraphs).
3. Attempt to select text that ends at the very end of a line immediately before a newline character.
4. Observe the behavior of the text selection, especially in lines containing the `<span class="koboSpan">` element.
5. For comparison, attempt the same selection on lines without the `<span class="koboSpan">` element.
6. Additionally, note the presence of the `<br/>` tag in the HTML used for creating spaces between paragraphs.

Current result:
- When selecting text ending at a line before a newline character, the selection unexpectedly expands to cover the entire content of the book, starting from the initial point of selection.
- This behavior causes the Kobo Libra 2 device to freeze and eventually crash.
- Lines containing the `<span class="koboSpan">` element trigger this behavior, while lines without it do not. However, lines without this element also do not support highlighting functionality.
- The presence of the `<br/>` tag in the HTML seems to be the problem.

Workaround:
Using CSS for spacing instead of the `<br/>` tag has shown to mitigate the issue. But I can't edit every kepub to avoid <br/>.
You may want to try the latest Libra 2 firmware.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 10:09 AM   #1477
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
What drives me nuts is notes not sync from one device to another even after synching your device. Drives me nuts.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 12:06 PM   #1478
LuisNeto
LuisNeto began at the beginning.

Have you reported this bug to Kobo?
LuisNeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 02:47 PM   #1479
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisNeto View Post
Have you reported this bug to Kobo?
I suspect that Kobo would not accept it as a bug report. Going that he mentions the added locator spans are not seen through the whole book and it was sideloaded, this is probably not a Kobo produced kepub. I could not duplicate the bug on an kepub synced from Kobo despite the use of multiple <br /> tags in the text files mostly in the fake bits of poetry/song lyrics the author seems to be having a love affair with.

Now if @underblue or someone else can duplicate the issue with a Kobo produced kepub, it would be worth reporting.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 06:40 AM   #1480
halnurvies
halnurvies began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Libra H2O
Humorously, I'd say that the kobo libra h20 doesn't like Richard Feynmann's physics pdf.
In fact, on two different pdf files, one of 6 Mb and the other of 15 Mb, it's often impossible to switch from one page to the other, which closes the pdf.
Are there any recommendations for reading pdf books that are difficult to convert to epub?
Are there any special requirements for saving pdf files?

Thank you for your renewed attention to the physics of consciousness.
halnurvies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 06:56 AM   #1481
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by halnurvies View Post
Humorously, I'd say that the kobo libra h20 doesn't like Richard Feynmann's physics pdf.
In fact, on two different pdf files, one of 6 Mb and the other of 15 Mb, it's often impossible to switch from one page to the other, which closes the pdf.
Are there any recommendations for reading pdf books that are difficult to convert to epub?
Are there any special requirements for saving pdf files?

Thank you for your renewed attention to the physics of consciousness.
Your Libra H2O is too small. You will have a terrible reading experience. Use your computer or a tablet such as an iPad.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 12:28 PM   #1482
halnurvies

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Your Libra H2O is too small. You will have a terrible reading experience. Use your computer or a tablet such as an iPad.
Yes, I know. But by cropping the pdf some pdf's are theoretically readable; And when you're poor, you do what you can.

And very careful reading of pdf files on a computer, even on a rotating screen because of the flickering, at least for the eyes of a very young person.

But still, there's no reason for the dysfunction of the pdf reading mode and its erratic behavior.

Last edited by halnurvies; 02-26-2024 at 12:33 PM. Reason: more information
Old 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM   #1483
Tawn
Connoisseur
Tawn began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by halnurvies View Post
Yes, I know. But by cropping the pdf some pdf's are theoretically readable; And when you're poor, you do what you can.

And very careful reading of pdf files on a computer, even on a rotating screen because of the flickering, at least for the eyes of a very young person.

But still, there's no reason for the dysfunction of the pdf reading mode and its erratic behavior.
I managed to actually read a Feynmann pdf once on my Libra 2 (which is a bit bigger, but not really ideal for pdf's either). You're already cropping, so maybe try something like the Output DPI Example at www.willus.com/k2pdfopt/help/dpi.shtml
You might have to do some fiddling to possibly get a reasonably acceptable result. Good luck!

IMO, a computer is also a horrible reading experience for long texts.
Tawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 04:45 PM   #1484
halnurvies

I've used k2pdfopt v2.55, which makes the file 75 MB heavier, but the readability and fluidity are satisfactory, and it even keeps the bookmarks.
Surprisingly, I no longer have the problem of untimely closing.
Although I'm happy with the solution, it doesn't tell me why certain PDFs don't work.

Tags
pocket app