Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-13-2012, 01:51 AM   #1
Soldim
Not so important
Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 4, iPad, Kobo Glo 4
How Amazon squeezes authors

I saw an interesting blog post on how Amazon cheats authors out of part of their share on ebook sales:

Quote:
Wait, Amazon pays out the worst? What? This can’t be right! They are the best right? Everyone loves them. I love them. I dig a bit deeper and find this little gem:

Avg. Delivery Cost ($) 2.58.
Doesn't seem Amazon is all that good, after all.
Soldim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:00 AM   #2
Edward M. Grant
Zealot
Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Asus Transformer
The fees seem excessive to me, but they're apparently selling a multi-megabyte e-book file and Amazon presumably charge by the byte. I checked one of my KDP report spreadsheets and at 340k, the average delivery fee for my novel appears to be $0.05.
Edward M. Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2012, 02:58 AM   #3
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Amazon charges a delivery fee on ebooks? That's just slimy.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:27 AM   #4
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
Amazon charges a delivery fee on ebooks? That's just slimy.
The model was built when the predominant delivery method was Whispernet over 3G, do each delivery did cost them money. Nowadays it is hard to justify the small amount, let alone the large one.

Last edited by murraypaul; 06-13-2012 at 03:31 AM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:46 AM   #5
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
if an author signs on the dotted line, how is anyone 'cheated' out of anything? this is literally the first time i've heard of this practice.

his book is also 18mb including pictures. whats the average ebook, 300kb? of course hes going to pay more, maybe he should have read the ToS before he eagerly submitted his book.

it boils down to don't like it, then don't use it. i'm sure hes still walking away with a far better deal than he'd get from any publisher.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2012, 03:49 AM   #6
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
if an author signs on the dotted line, how is anyone 'cheated' out of anything? this is literally the first time i've heard of this practice.

his book is also 18mb including pictures. whats the average ebook, 300kb? of course hes going to pay more, maybe he should have read the ToS before he eagerly submitted his book.
Cheated is an emotive word, but I think most people would feel that the scale of charges was out of proportion to the actual cost of delivering the book, so that the charge has become a profit centre, rather than covering costs.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:32 AM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Amazon is taking 56% for each of his books sold. What a rip off!
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:44 AM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
...so that the charge has become a profit centre, rather than covering costs.
Just like those infomercials on American TV. Buy this super cool widget for $9.99 + S/H (rarely revealed); and if you act now, they'll throw in a free one. Just pay additional S/H charges. Jump to their website and you discover that S/H is $7.95 for each widget. Total cost = $9.99 + free + $7.95 + $7.95 = $25.89.

But wait, it comes with a money back guarantee if you're dissatisfied. Just return both items (you pay return shipping charges) and they'll refund you $9.99 (maybe; I've read stories where the product was returned and no refund was ever given). They keep the $15.90 S/H charges, make a tidy little profit, and get to resell the merchandise.

Caveat Emptor
Old 06-13-2012, 04:58 AM   #9
Soldim
Not so important
Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 4, iPad, Kobo Glo 4
Quote:
it boils down to don't like it, then don't use it. i'm sure hes still walking away with a far better deal than he'd get from any publisher.
He definitely does better with iBooks, Nook or gumroad (of which I had never heard before) than with Amazon.
Soldim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:03 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Amazon is taking 56% for each of his books sold. What a rip off!
They take 65% for most of the books I sell. (Public domain books, even with added material, aren't eligible for the 70% option.)

He does mis-state one bit. Amazon don't take 30% and then $2.58 delivery fee. They take the $2.58 delivery fee, and then 30% of the remainder.

i.e. they don't leave him $9.99*0.7-$2.58 = $4.41
they leave him ($9.99-$2.58)*0.7 = $5.19

that is, with the delivery fee, Amazon's cut is 48% of the sale, not 56%.

Also, don't forget that the delivery fee doesn't just cover one download. It covers an indefinite number of downloads to any of the devices registered to the account.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:11 AM   #11
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:

I think it's more the disingenuous way it comes across. It seems as if Amazon are somewhat trying to trick authors into thinking they only take one type of cut, and then *SURPRISE* they charge a (ridiculously inflated) delivery charge as well.

I have no idea how clear that is in their terms, but on first glance it would seem that to have the "delivery charge" completely separate from their "cut" when you know that 99% of that "delivery charge" is really also their cut isn't an especially above-board business practice.

Not that this would apply to Amazon, but pertaining to your post, there have been businesses convicted of deceptive business practices that were technically legal except for the deceptive way they were presented.

Last edited by sun surfer; 06-13-2012 at 05:14 AM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:14 AM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Also, don't forget that the delivery fee doesn't just cover one download. It covers an indefinite number of downloads to any of the devices registered to the account.
Whose fault is that? Amazon wants to keep your books on their servers. It should be factored into the 30%. It's the cost of doing business.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:56 AM   #13
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:

This. And it is clearly specified in the costs and payment etc. I was certainly aware of it when I signed up.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:42 AM   #14
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post

I have no idea how clear that is in their terms, but on first glance it would seem that to have the "delivery charge" completely separate from their "cut" when you know that 99% of that "delivery charge" is really also their cut isn't an especially above-board business practice.
It tells you how much the delivery charge will be when you set your price. I can't really see how anyone could miss it. He really needs to work on his image sizes instead of moaning. I looked at the sample and they don't really add anything anyway.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #15
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:

Agreed. Unless Amazon did some kind of stealth update that included the "cheats" in the verbiage (which doesn't seem to be the case), you aren't cheated out of anything.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote