Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-01-2008, 09:02 PM   #16
RoninTech
Groupie
RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Nook Colour, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Nexus 7, Nexus 5, Pixel
dev-python/PyQt is 3.17.4
dev-python/PyQt4 is 4.4.3
x11-libs/qt is 4.4.2
RoninTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:29 PM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I've uploaded an updated build (the upload should complete in about half an hour)
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2008, 05:41 PM   #18
bkilian
Zealot
bkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS/505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I've uploaded an updated build (the upload should complete in about half an hour)
Nice idea, is there any version available for folks that don't want to pay $180 for VMWare? Virtual PC is free.
bkilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:50 PM   #19
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkilian View Post
Nice idea, is there any version available for folks that don't want to pay $180 for VMWare? Virtual PC is free.
VMWare player is free too.

http://vmware.com/products/player/

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:28 PM   #20
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Not having any luck getting this VM image up and running. Has anyone tried converting the OVF for use on OS X with vmware fusion?
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2009, 04:11 AM   #21
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

http://communities.vmware.com/message/947976
Old 04-22-2009, 04:12 AM   #22
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

OR http://www.infrageeks.com/groups/inf.../weblog/357ad/
Old 04-22-2009, 11:02 AM   #23
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Already been to those sites, but things have changed a bit since that stuff was posted. Unfortunately vmware has discontinued the java based ovftool.jar file that they mention on those sites. I couldn't get the latest binary tool running on OS X, and didn't have any luck trying to use the windows based ovftool.

Giving up on that route for now, will just build my own linux vm....
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:53 PM   #24
myle00
Connoisseur
myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Palm Treo
I just tried running the image in VMware Workstation 6.5.2 on vista and I got this error
Code:
failed to query source for information
When I tried using the converter I get this error as soon as it reads the ovf file
Code:
the ovf descriptor file could not be parsed
I couldn't find a solution on the other forms, at least not something that I understood. Any ideas?

Thanks,
M
myle00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:10 PM   #25
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Unfortunately, that VM was contributed by someone else, I've never used it myself. So I can't really help. I'm in the process of switching over to KVM based VMs anyway. Once that's done, I'll see if I can create a new VMware VM for calibre development.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:39 PM   #26
myle00
Connoisseur
myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks, I guess I'll have to stick it out in windows or get to know Linux a little better.

I did have a slightly unrelated question. I know Java and am trying to learn python 3.0 now. As I understand it python is not backward compatible. So I'm wondering, it seems that calibre is written in 2.x, yet if I learn 3.0 will I not be able to apply it to calibre? Additionally, does it mean that calibre has to stick to 2.x else you'd have to rewrite everything? Finally, it seems pretty silly, setuptools for example, is still at 2.5 on windows, PyCrypto is on 2.6, imagine all the copies of python one must have to program in it... Is that how python is?

Thanks,
matt
Old 07-31-2009, 02:49 PM   #27
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I think of python 3.0 as a new language. python 3.0 is not backward compatible. Still it's similar enough to 2.x that if you learn 3.0 you should be able to program on 2.x (the biggest change, at least for calibre style programming is the switch to making everything unicode).

As for calibre, I don't foresee migrating it to 3.0 for at least a couple of years more.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:46 AM   #28
markbond1007
Connoisseur
markbond1007 doesn't littermarkbond1007 doesn't litter

Device: CyBook Gen3, Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by myle00 View Post
I just tried running the image in VMware Workstation 6.5.2 on vista and I got this error
Code:
failed to query source for information
When I tried using the converter I get this error as soon as it reads the ovf file
Code:
the ovf descriptor file could not be parsed
I couldn't find a solution on the other forms, at least not something that I understood. Any ideas?

Thanks,
M
Okay, I managed to convert the image file, rather than upload the new image file I'll post instructions on how to do it.

1) attached to this post should be a zip file contianing the OVF file, replace the one in the directory with the existing ovf and vdmk file with the ovf in the zip file

2) run the ovftool as follows:

ovftool --skipManifestGeneration Calibre-devel-F10-XFCE.ovf Calibre-devel-F10-XFCE.vmx

3) that should be it.

This needs to be run under linux or Windows (I ran under linux) you can then copy across to the Mac. When you open the VM in Fusion it will ask if you want to update it, you can safely say yes to this.

Regards

Mark
Attached Files
File Type: zip Calibre-devel-F10-XFCE.ovf.zip (1.3 KB, 488 views)

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 08-06-2009 at 10:42 AM.
markbond1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:05 PM   #29
myle00
Connoisseur

Thanks, I just tried it and it worked. The zip and instructions should probably be added to the development page.
M.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:18 AM   #30
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It's a Wiki, feel free to add it