Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: Which one to get?
Nook 8 16.67%
Kobo 2 4.17%
Kindle 18 37.50%
other 16 33.33%
wait 4 8.33%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-26-2010, 10:32 AM   #16
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Wait to see what B&N has to offer with the Nook 2. It would be irresponsible of me to recommend a Kindle when the Nook 2 might have some amazingly cool features that might make me jaelous.

I seriously doubt that that is going to happen but you never know. (winks)

On the format, I doubt that most people are going to notice the difference between EPub and Mobi. Amazon has the most books available and there are plenty of alternative sites that you can download books from without cracking DRM or converting. I have never used EPub and I can safely say that I have greatly enjoyed my e-reading experience.

"(Maybe it's just me, but it's annoying when I read a book and can't either skip chapters or go to a TOC) "

Ummmm you can get to the table of contents by clicking on menu, choose location, and TOC. It is pretty easy to do.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:41 PM   #17
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I wonder if any of the other repliers read your entire post because I'm surprised that none of them mentioned the "lend-me" feature since you specifically mentioned that whichever you choose, many of your family members will end up with the same. Although, to be fair, most everyone here is trying to convince you to get the reader they prefer, and if theirs doesn't include lend-me, then why mention it? Lol.

As of now, you can only use "lend-me" on a nook. That means that whoever buys a book, you can lend it to one other person for a two week period. It may not be perfect, but it's the best there is right now on that front, and it could be a huge plus to you if your family will all have the same reader.

However, Amazon has also announced that they'll be doing something similar to "lend-me" soon.

Barnes and Noble is announcing something today - possibly a new nook.

I voted for nook on the poll, and because of the ability to lend (assuming that your family would use it) I'd recommend you either get the nook or Kindle.

ETA - Also, you mentioned library books, and if borrowing library books are a big deal to you and your family, then I'd definitely recommend the nook over the Kindle. However, to be fair, you can borrow library books, convert them, and then read them on any device, but that would depend on if you wanted to do that or not.

Last edited by sun surfer; 10-26-2010 at 12:48 PM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2010, 12:47 PM   #18
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lend me is coming to the Kindle. Works the same as it does on the Nook. Silly on both devices. If you have someone you want to share books with, share an account and then you can read the same book at the same time.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:52 PM   #19
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Lend me is coming to the Kindle. Works the same as it does on the Nook.
Hence why I wrote, "However, Amazon has also announced that they'll be doing something similar to 'lend-me' soon."

I personally don't use it, as I don't know anyone else who has a nook (or even a Kindle lol), but I would think for a family who all have the same device, it could be useful.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:55 PM   #20
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I personally don't use it, as I don't know anyone else who has a nook (or even a Kindle lol), but I would think for a family who all have the same device, it could be useful.
Sharing the same account is even more useful.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2010, 01:00 PM   #21
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
I voted nook, of course, personally I really do think top to bottom it has the best hardware and overall compatibility to go along with a great platform in BN's ebookstore.

To answer your question about the LCD screen. When you are reading the screen does go dark. You can set how quickly you want it to go to sleep 10,30 or 60 secs. Also once the screen goes dark, you can actually turn the pages using the finger swipe method across the dark LCD screen. It's much more enjoyable and more natural way to read. It's a joy to use.

The battery is shorter than most because of the LCD screen. I charge mine on average about every 5 to 6 days. No it's not 3 weeks but it's not a big deal at all. It's reall not and in fact you can read while it's being charged as well.
To me it's a very very small tradeoff to have the LCD screen to use. I could not be able to go from a Nook to a Kindle. I would feel like I just got out of the Hot Tub Time Machine with it's antiquated navigation
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:01 PM   #22
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Hence why I wrote, "However, Amazon has also announced that they'll be doing something similar to 'lend-me' soon."

or very dangerous and expensive.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:04 PM   #23
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Sharing the same account is even more useful.
True, if they wanted to (the poster didn't say whether the family was immediate or more spread out). I just found it odd that no one had mentioned the "lend-me" feature to the original poster by now.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:05 PM   #24
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
Huh?
Old 10-26-2010, 01:07 PM   #25
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
True, if they wanted to (the poster didn't say whether the family was immediate or more spread out). I just found it odd that no one had mentioned the "lend-me" feature to the original poster by now.
While it's a cool feature for both the Nook and the Kindle, it's severely restricted with its 14-day loan period and only one lend per book per forever.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:11 PM   #26
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
I am not understanding this comment. I share an account with my Mother and Father. I have no reason to believe that they would try and damage my account or run up my credit card bill.*

I would not share an account with someone I did not trust. That would be stupid. But I trust my family members and have no problem adding them to my account. It is a win win situation.

They paid for college, I can pay for their reading material then next 20 or so years.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:12 PM   #27
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Quote:

Whoops missed that. Sorry, my bad. I think people didn't mention it because it is pretty useless. If I share the same device as a family member I am willing to add them my account and we can share.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:37 PM   #28
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Not all books are "lendable". Its up to the publisher, you can only lend a book one time......and while its out, you cannot access it.

As for library access, this is an awesome feature, but only if your local library has a suitable assortment of ebooks that interest you. That can easily be checked online.

Not all libraries are equal in what books they carry. some don't carry any.

As far as I know, only the Philadelphia library allows non resident access to their catalog.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:43 PM   #29
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
As for library access, this is an awesome feature, but only if your local library has a suitable assortment of ebooks that interest you. That can easily be checked online.
Most definitely! My libraries have large collections and great selections for my tastes.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:38 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobits View Post
That is because of the Sony rookit incident as I mentioned in my post. Sigh, maybe I should bend on it by now though. The Pearl screen and sony specs do make it appealing, though the price difference may be too much for buying for the gifts.
If you are going to forgo Sony because of the rootkit issue which has nothing to do with their readers, you may as well forgo Amazon since Amazon did at one time have eBooks and they dumped them. They had the standard MS Reader, PDF, Mobi, etc. But when they just dumped them, people that needed to redownload to get the DRM updated were unable to do so and a lot of people lost access to the PDF they bought.

So really, almost every company has problems in the past. Do these problems affect current readers and current eBooks no. So if you can give Amazon a nod given Amazon's eBook history, you can give Sony a nod too. Rootkit has nothing to do with Readers or eBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote