Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-11-2019, 07:20 AM   #271
fardeenah
Enthusiast
fardeenah began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 2015
i got my kindle yesterday and the text does seem a bit faded compared to the pw3, i used bookerly with boldness setting 1 and now it resembles what my paperwhite 3 looked like, apart from that i have a single weird "dead pixel" which keeps on inverting in the opposite colour. if it its supposed to display white, it displays a small black dot and vice versa, its not noticable at all. however there are certain part of the screen where the text is a little blurrier than the other part of the screen, its hard to describe. i noticed it because i have been over analysing my screen since i got it. i sold my pw3 but i cant compare right now
fardeenah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:42 PM   #272
Waylander
Evangelist
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Clara HD
I heard there were some issues with the PW4 battery. Have they been ironed out or are people still finding problems with the battery holding its charge?
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:58 PM   #273
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, (PW) & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
@Waylander: AFAICT, that was just people (not) realizing indexing eats through a charge like crazy. As it's a new device, lots of people dumping crazy (or slightly less so) amounts of books on it => perfect storm.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:49 PM   #274
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, StoryHD, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
I heard there were some issues with the PW4 battery. Have they been ironed out or are people still finding problems with the battery holding its charge?
Mine pretty much loses its charge within a week of not using it at all. Maybe it's the ads...?

Or maybe it's because there's an update it can't update to because I blocked updates.

Doubt it's books, I didn't copy any books over yet.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 02:01 PM   #275
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, (PW) & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
@frostschutz: Is it in Airplane mode?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 02:02 PM   #276
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
I haven't done any rigorous testing but mine seems to last about as long as my other kindles. That's with the power saver disabled.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 02:13 PM   #277
Section8
Groupie
Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Nook ST, Nook Color, Sony PRST1
My PW4 replaced a PW2 and I haven't noticed much difference in battery usage. I normally keep them in airplane mode and after copying my books to it, I kept the PW4 plugged in until it finished indexing.
Section8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:32 AM   #278
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KO2, KV, KPW4, Kobo Aura H2O, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyR View Post
That's with the power saver disabled.
What is "power saver" and how do you enable/disable it?

93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:56 PM   #279
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Power saver is a feature on the Paperwhite 4 that, when the thing is asleep for about an hour, puts it into a deeper sleep, saving battery life. The down side of this is that when you wake it up from that deeper sleep it puts a Waking Up sign at the bottom of the screen and there's about a 10 second to 20 second delay. I haven't actually timed it.

I don't care for that delay. When I open the cover I want to read. But so far I've left the power saver on. I probably will turn it off at some point and see if it makes a noticeable difference but if it does I'll probably turn it back on. It's only a minor irritation and I want the device and it's battery to last as long as possible.

There's a setting in the settings screen to disable the power saver. It's found under Device Options and then under Advanced Options.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 05:27 PM   #280
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
Power saver is a feature on the Paperwhite 4 that, when the thing is asleep for about an hour, puts it into a deeper sleep, saving battery life. The down side of this is that when you wake it up from that deeper sleep it puts a Waking Up sign at the bottom of the screen and there's about a 10 second to 20 second delay. I haven't actually timed it.

I don't care for that delay. When I open the cover I want to read. But so far I've left the power saver on. I probably will turn it off at some point and see if it makes a noticeable difference but if it does I'll probably turn it back on. It's only a minor irritation and I want the device and it's battery to last as long as possible.

There's a setting in the settings screen to disable the power saver. It's found under Device Options and then under Advanced Options.

Barry
Thanks. Is this feature device specific or FW specific?
Old 01-13-2019, 05:52 PM   #281
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Mini, Kindle Voyage
There is a blog post about this subject here.

Personally I haven't turned the feature off, because it gives me a few seconds to admire my custom "screen savers."
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:36 PM   #282
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
Thanks. Is this feature device specific or FW specific?
I think Power Saver is device specific. My Paperwhite 4's both came with it and they both got a firmware upgrade since I got them.

Someone mentioned that the Oasis 2 also has it.

[edit]I just realized I didn't completely answer you. My Paperwhite 3's got firmware upgrades to the firmware that my Paperwhite 4's came with and the Paperwhite 3's don't have Power Save.[/edit]

Barry

Last edited by barryem; 01-13-2019 at 09:39 PM.
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:59 AM   #283
93terp
Fear The Turtle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I think Power Saver is device specific. My Paperwhite 4's both came with it and they both got a firmware upgrade since I got them.

Someone mentioned that the Oasis 2 also has it.

[edit]I just realized I didn't completely answer you. My Paperwhite 3's got firmware upgrades to the firmware that my Paperwhite 4's came with and the Paperwhite 3's don't have Power Save.[/edit]

Barry
Thanks. I did confirm it's on my PW4, but even with FW 5.10.2 I'm not seeing it on my Oasis 2.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:00 AM   #284
93terp
Fear The Turtle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
There is a blog post about this subject here.

Personally I haven't turned the feature off, because it gives me a few seconds to admire my custom "screen savers."
Thanks for the link.

I'm assuming your PW4 is jailbroken if you have custom screen savers? I'd love to use book covers as my screen saver, but after reading through all the jail break instructions I'm not convinced it's worth the effort.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:09 AM   #285
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
Thanks. I did confirm it's on my PW4, but even with FW 5.10.2 I'm not seeing it on my Oasis 2.
You are not seeing it, because you cannot disable it. Why waste space in settings that cannot be changed?
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote