Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-29-2018, 09:17 AM   #1
HogDrvr
Connoisseur
HogDrvr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Trade Voyage for Oasis?

Is it worthwhile to trade in my Voyage for an Oasis 2? I really don't have any gripes with the Voyage but I don't know how much better an Oasis is. I've never seen on in real life. I read a lot so any small advantage to the Oasis might be a big deal for me.
HogDrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:22 AM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
only you can decide...
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:48 AM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I have both and I prefer the Oasis. I like its bigger screen and larger storage space. Otherwise there's no huge difference between them, both are excellent readers.

OTOH, there have been posters here who liked the Voyage better. So, in the end, only you can decide what's best for you.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:54 AM   #4
slkissinger
Connoisseur
slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Multiple Kindles, Pocketbook Touch HD3, Kobo Clara HD, Xiaomi InkPalm
I have both Voyage and Oasis. I read more on the voyage. Basically, it’s the grip. I know the edge on the oasis is supposed to make it easier to hold, but I’m used to “how” a 6” reader feels in the hand. If you really need the extra screen size, then sure. The flipping of it around also is more annoying to me than helpful.

I did read somewhere here I think about a good cover that might help me with my grip issues...I just haven’t bought the case to try it out.

...just my opinion, I could be wrong and likely am...
slkissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:57 AM   #5
HogDrvr
Connoisseur
HogDrvr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Well, I just bit the bullet and ordered it. The trade-in was a bit more lucrative than I thought. They only gave me $50 for the Voyage but they also give a 25% discount on the Oasis. So, I got a total of $120 on the 32gb Oasis. (50 plus 70)

Same day shipping so I should have it this afternoon!!!
HogDrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 10:16 AM   #6
challe232
Connoisseur
challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I prefer the voyage. To me, it has a nicer screen with better contrast.
challe232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 12:29 PM   #7
Clawdia
Connoisseur
Clawdia is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle (K3, DXG)
I got an Oasis 2 for Christmas. I've been using a Voyage. Biggest difference to me is that the Voyage screen is a very white, almost blue, background. The Oasis screen has a more yellowish tint, tending towards sepia almost but not quite. I love the Voyage, but in the long run I think the screen on the Oasis may be easier on my eyes. I have to turn the light up a bit on the Oasis to read comfortably. I'm keeping the Voyage and the Oasis. My first Voyage only lasted 11 months before going wonky and being replaced under warranty, which makes me a bit leery about longevity of the Voyage I have now.

I don't have any problem reading the Oasis one-handed. I bought a Fintie case that has a strap around it, which I find helpful in keeping the case closed properly as well as letting me slip a finger or two inside the strap when the Oasis is folded back all the way and holding it that way with one hand.
Clawdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:56 PM   #8
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
I had a voyage and have an oasis.
- For me the biggest difference is that the voyage didn't support text-to-speech. The Oasis does through bluetooth.
- Also, I prefer the page click buttons on the Oasis.
- The slightly larger size matters also. The difference between 6 inches and 7 inches gives you 36% more pixels.
- The waterproof is also important to me.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:08 AM   #9
azt33
Connoisseur
azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
I am in the same boat - I have a Voyage but am seriously looking at the Oasis 2.
Did you get the trade-in deal through Amazon US? I am based in Switzerland, so would need to order through Amazon DE, wonder if they do any trade-ins as well...
azt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:27 PM   #10
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have a Voyage and I've never really seen an Oasis 2 but I have seen readers with large screens and I prefer the smaller screens. In fact I wish I could get a good 5" ereader. If my 5.1" phone had an e-ink screen I might lose interest in my Kindles.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:13 PM   #11
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I had a Voyage and traded for a PW3. I ordered an Oasis 2 and sent it back three days later. I'm happy with my PW3s now and looking forward to getting my PW4 next Sunday.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:00 AM   #12
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
I have both. I use the Oasis 2 (32GB) as my main reader - mainly because of its larger screen and larger memory. Sadly, the Voyage screen is far superior in terms of clarity and contrast. So if you don't need the larger screen and extra storage, I would stick with the Voyage.
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:12 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braid View Post
I have both. I use the Oasis 2 (32GB) as my main reader - mainly because of its larger screen and larger memory. Sadly, the Voyage screen is far superior in terms of clarity and contrast. So if you don't need the larger screen and extra storage, I would stick with the Voyage.
I too have both, and in my case the two screens are equally good. An example of the individual variation in eInk screens. I far prefer the larger screen of the Oasis, although I'm a big fan of the "haptic sensors" of the Voyage. The Voyage is definitely far more "portable".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:01 PM   #14
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I have a Voyage and I've never really seen an Oasis 2 but I have seen readers with large screens and I prefer the smaller screens. In fact I wish I could get a good 5" ereader. If my 5.1" phone had an e-ink screen I might lose interest in my Kindles.

Barry

Oh, how I wish that Kobo would bring back the Mini with a frontlight. But we're howling for the moon.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:44 PM   #15
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Oh, how I wish that Kobo would bring back the Mini with a frontlight. But we're howling for the moon.
You're right and it's our responsibility to howl as often and as loudly and as well as possible. I don't believe in magic but I might be wrong.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote