Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 08-14-2021, 08:48 PM   #1
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Edit Epubs on Boox?

Is it possible to edit Epubs on a Onyx Boox (fixing typos) and then next time I sync with Calibre, it replace the Calibre copy?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 02:49 PM   #2
8poke2
8poke2 began at the beginning.

Device: Poke 2
Epub is comprimed format and You can look what is inside with Total Commander, or any unzip utility. Just rename extension to zip. If You can't find epub editor on Google play, then you can extract from zip(epub) archive txt (HTML) file, make a backup and edit it on the reader in any android editor. Then add new file into archive, rename extension to epub. Difficult way, but a way. I think it will work on 97%.
8poke2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2021, 07:40 PM   #3
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Not a direct answer to what you asked, but...

If this is your own work then fixing mistakes directly makes sense,
Whether Calibre can sync in both directions is a question for Calibre users.

AbdSync.exe (in the sig) can sync in either direction to copy the latest.
How well that would work in a Calibre structured system, I don't know.

If this were a Gutenberg book a bookmark and possibly a short note might be more helpful.
Bookmarks are (usually?) hierarchal in the DOM and not the line number of the source HTML.
An RMSDK based device saves bookmarks in XML in a .annot file.
You could write a utility to take the ./annot file and make a snippet out of the EPUB text to email the error to the Gutenberg folks.

Edit: I have another idea.
If your reader saves its place in somewhere accessible, you could do some things without modifying your reader or even making a bookmark.
You read a book, you find an error, you close the book. You open an app and it will be at the same location as you last left the book displaying the raw HTML or the formatted text.
Some people might want to modify and save the file right there.
Others will simply want to snip some text, add a note and append it to the errata that they will eventually send to Gutenberg (or whoever).

More edit: Locations (fragments) compliant with the latest spec are "epubcfi", EPUB Canonical Fragment Identifiers.
The specification: http://idpf.org/epub/linking/cfi/epub-cfi.html
They look like "epubcfi(/6/4[chap01ref]!/4[body01]/10[para05]/3:5"
Older apps may use simpler pre-spec stuff like "point(/1/4/1/76/1:403)"

Both of these use even numbers for child nodes, odd numbers for content between nodes.
You can see that point uses gratuitous "1" where epubcfi doesn't.
So, with that point example, 4/2-1=1 so go to the (zero-based) nth child of the root,
then go to the 76/2-1=37 nth child of that, get the content of that and 403 chars forward.

Which one does your reader use?

Last edited by Renate; 08-22-2021 at 08:32 AM.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 11:15 AM   #4
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Ok, stupid question.
Do the reader apps that you use allow you to just copy the full text of the current page?
I just added that to my reader. It seems the simplest way to capture context of the area you need to change.

My preference is not to modify anything important on a mobile device.
The copy of anything on the desktop is the gold standard.
If something needs to be altered I'll alter it on the desktop then sync all the mobile devices.
Of course, this may not be your procedure.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 09:35 PM   #5
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Thanks for everyone's ideas. Unfortunately it all sounds more complicated than how I currently do it (note the bad text and what it should be, then on the computer, search the book file for the bad text and fix).

I was just hoping maybe that there was a reading app that could also edit.

Thanks anyway!

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2021, 04:21 AM   #6
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
@just_jeepin

As a last resort you could try this:
1) Convert epub to fb2 (with Calibre, for example)
2) Install AlReaderX (from Google Play or directly from their website). It has the feature to edit fb2 books, right from the place where you were reading it. The easiest way enter the editing mode is assign it to Quick Settings or some gestures/tap zones.

You might loose some formatting of the book in the process of converting epub -> fb2 -> epub, but if this suits your use case, why not?
mergen3107 is online now   Reply With Quote