Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-03-2021, 04:48 AM   #16
redbeard5598
redbeard5598 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Don't use your Linux suppository for anything at all Calibre related. Most Linux suppositories BOTCH Calibre big time. Go to the official Calibre website and get it from there.

Installed from the website (the one-line console command), and have the same issue.
The exact same one; here's the text after running Calibre from the command line post-install:

qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, xcb.

Aborted (core dumped)
r@ubuntu:~$ apt-get install libxcb-xinerama0

What do I need to install? None of the ones listed there are in the default repositories (at least, the ones that shipped with apt in Lubuntu 18.04. I just reinstalled the system, so everything is fairly clean. Lubuntu 18 because 20 wouldn't install (at least on my machine, it wouldn't). Upgrades are wonderful, right? But platform plugin sounds like I need to install QT itself, which is no big deal (I usually have it on my machines, just not on this one yet).
redbeard5598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 07:37 AM   #17
kauesedrez
kauesedrez began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 10
[solved] [ubuntu 20.04 LTS] sudo apt-get install calibre

Hi everyone, to solve the problem I uninstalled Calibre

Code:
sudo calibre-uninstall
and then just run

Code:
sudo apt-get install calibre.
Everything works like a charm.
kauesedrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 01:15 PM   #18
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
We really do NOT recommend the repository version (what apt-get grabs).
Use the commandline on the Calibre Linux download page
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 07:47 AM   #19
ckronengold
ckronengold began at the beginning.

Device: kindle basic
Installed Calibre on ubuntu 20.04 from the copy/paste install on the calibre website and it failed to run.

Per the dev's post, I installed libxcb-xinerama0, but already had the latest version.

Then I tried apt-get install libxcb* and calibre failed to run. Tried apt-get install qt5* and still no luck.

Did the "isolated" install and also failed to run with the same error.

The link to this thread from the install page is now almost 6 months old. This issue still hasn't been definitely resolved?

Last edited by ckronengold; 02-28-2021 at 08:32 AM.
ckronengold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 10:02 AM   #20
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckronengold View Post
Installed Calibre on ubuntu 20.04 from the copy/paste install on the calibre website and it failed to run.

Per the dev's post, I installed libxcb-xinerama0, but already had the latest version.

Then I tried apt-get install libxcb* and calibre failed to run. Tried apt-get install qt5* and still no luck.

Did the "isolated" install and also failed to run with the same error.

The link to this thread from the install page is now almost 6 months old. This issue still hasn't been definitely resolved?
Try:
Code:
apt-get install libxcb-randr0
bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 02:00 PM   #21
ckronengold
ckronengold began at the beginning.

Device: kindle basic
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
Try:
Code:
apt-get install libxcb-randr0
bernie
libxcb-randr0 is already the newest version (1.14-2).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

I think there needs to be an update to the installation instructions. I was doing my install via SSH on my laptop because I was too lazy to go downstairs and sit at the server. As soon as I logged on to the server directly, running calibre in the terminal immediately launched the GUI.

I don't know what any of those dependencies are, but I'm guessing something has to do with the display driver?

I'm going to uninstall everything and re-install directly on the machine and hopefully get a clean install.
ckronengold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 06:52 AM   #22
technicaltitch
technicaltitch began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 350
Ubuntu 20 on AWS

I also had problems after installing and updating every package on this thread, including qt-default, using the command line on the website, without `sudo -v` as my admin account has no password (maybe this is why my installer couldn't reach qt5 even after I'd installed it?).

Anyway, these were the lines that worked in the end - install everything mentioned on this thread (I did try with less), then run the isolated install:

sudo apt-get unstall libxcb-xinerama0 libxcb-icccm4 libxcb-image0 libxcb-keysyms1 libxcb-render-util0 libxcb-randr0 qt5-default

wget -nv -O- https://download.calibre-ebook.com/linux-installer.sh | sh /dev/stdin install_dir=~/calibre-bin isolated=y

I defer to Kovid's opinion of course, but I would have thought an AWS Ubuntu install would be useful on the installer page? Or maybe I'm rare.
technicaltitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 05:04 AM   #23
tmv
tmv began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4th generation
Similar problem on latest release of Ubuntu

Hello people, I'm using Ubuntu 22.04 LTS default installation fresh with almost zero packages extra installed, I tried installing calibre using the download command from the website and the error
Code:
Could not load the Qt platform plugin xcb
followed this link and installing some packages reccomended it solved that message but calibre still doesn't work, I've tried what here appear the problem is that message appear if you run in from the terminal:

Code:
Warning: Ignoring XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland on Gnome. Use QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland to run on Wayland anyway.
and the most important if that I try to use the book viewer it crashes and says that Qt WebEngine Render has closed and the terminal shows this:

Code:
Warning: Ignoring XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland on Gnome. Use QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland to run on Wayland anyway.
The Qt WebEngine Render process crashed with termination type: 2 and exit code: 159
Restarting Qt WebEngine
The Qt WebEngine Render process crashed with termination type: 2 and exit code: 159
The Qt WebEngine Render process crashed too often
Any help please?
tmv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 05:13 AM   #24
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Your first problem is a warning that is irrelevant and can be ignored. As for your viewer not working google qt webengine glibc sandbox disable and you will find the answer.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 04:46 PM   #25
SickProdigy
SickProdigy began at the beginning.

Device: none
Have ran
sudo apt install libxcb-randr0
sudo apt install xcb
sudo apt install libxcb-xinerama0

Still getting
qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect to display
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, xcb.

Aborted (core dumped)

--

My deduction seems to be you cant do this on a headless server?
Or you can't run "calibre" in console on a headless server i mean.

Still can't quite figure out how to get this working on headless linux server. Using ubuntu 20.xx
SickProdigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 09:32 PM   #26
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre is a GUI program it is meaningless to run it on a headless server. Use one of th emany CLI tools calibre comes with on a headless server.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 06:26 PM   #27
JonhBS
JonhBS doesn't litterJonhBS doesn't litterJonhBS doesn't litter

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
This solution works for me in Xubuntu 22.04 LTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickProdigy View Post
Have ran
sudo apt install libxcb-randr0
sudo apt install xcb
sudo apt install libxcb-xinerama0

Still getting
qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect to display

Aborted (core dumped)

--

My deduction seems to be you cant do this on a headless server?
Or you can't run "calibre" in console on a headless server i mean.

Still can't quite figure out how to get this working on headless linux server. Using ubuntu 20.xx
Hello everyone.

I recently did a fresh Xubuntu 22.04 installation and at the moment to install and run calibre (last version 6.0 following the instructions from calibre's webpage) I got the same error message: "qt.qpa.plugingCould not load the Qt platform plugging xcb..."

After install the xcb libraries as you recommended in this topic I still got the same error message.

The solution that works for me:
I remove calibre with the calibre-uninstall command. Then previously having installed the xcb libraries I also installed an app from the repositories that use qt libraries (for example kalzium). After that I installed again calibre from the calibre's webpage and it works perfectly.

I hope it helps someone!!

Thanks for your support. Best regards
JonhBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 09:47 PM   #28
Onemack
Groupie
Onemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle P/W, Kobo Aura, Kobo Libre 2, Boyue likebook P10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonhBS View Post
I hope it helps someone!!
Thanks heaps, very helpful, solved my problem after days of trial and error, now I've got to try and install my library of ebooks which are on the windows version !
Onemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 10:17 AM   #29
indigo141
indigo141 began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Thank you JohnBS this surpisingly helped me install ver 6.1. I wonder how many people will be getting around with a periodic tables app. What worked for me:
Code posted by Bernie here Ran the code got some errors about Qt. Found this thread. Installed Kalzium from raspian add/remove software. Re-ran code without uninstalling the first failed install. Second install appears to be working well. This is on a Raspberry Pi 400 with Raspian desktop 64-bit
indigo141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 06:57 PM   #30
indigo141
indigo141 began at the beginning.

Device: Android
As far as i can tell, another way provided here avoids the use of Kalzium with code: "sudo apt install libegl1 libopengl0" . I havnt tried it myself.
indigo141 is offline   Reply With Quote